Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T120R Massive Oil Leak
Alright men? I've just finished my first dry build of my T120 chop and had it out of the garage to start it up.
No problems starting or selecting gears etc :D, but when I leave it ticking over in the side stand, oil starts pissing out all over the place :(. It seems to be coming from the LHS underneath the engine.
When I take it off the side stand and level it up, it stops running out:confused: .
Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
May be gear oil. Check what type of oil is actually leaking. Ensure you have not overfilled your gearbox. Not sure the year of your bike but read this thread for some more suggestions regarding leaks from behind front sprocket. .:
http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/203891-gear-box-top-gear-leak-question.html#post2198341

Also check Primary Case for leaks especially around primary chain adjustment bolt.

Also check you are not "Wet Sumping" (check to make sure oil is returning to oil tank).

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Let me guess:The engine is '69 or earlier,and there's no hose attached to the breather tube in front of the gearbox sprocket.It only leaks with the engine running.

The hose normally joins to the oil tank breather with a Y-piece,and continues to the back of the rear mudguard.

Even if the hose is missing,not much oil should come out the breather pipe.Possibly too much oil in the crankcase.Check oil return at the oil tank.The return pump might not be pumping enough.

If it happens when the engine is not running,it could be leaking from the gearbox.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me guess:The engine is '69 or earlier,and there's no hose attached to the breather tube in front of the gearbox sprocket.It only leaks with the engine running.

The hose normally joins to the oil tank breather with a Y-piece,and continues to the back of the rear mudguard.

Even if the hose is missing,not much oil should come out the breather pipe.Possibly too much oil in the crankcase.Check oil return at the oil tank.The return pump might not be pumping enough.

If it happens when the engine is not running,it could be leaking from the gearbox.

Hi Pete, I thought it was later than that but Im no expert. It's a 4 speed engine, number DU1887107. can you identify the year from that? many thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
DU1887107 !!! according to the great haynes bible the DU makes it from 63 to mid 69 & i'm thinking 1965 ish from a quick look in the 'bonnie' book by nelson ,but isn't there too many numbers ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DU1887107 !!! according to the great haynes bible the DU makes it from 63 to mid 69 & i'm thinking 1965 ish from a quick look in the 'bonnie' book by nelson ,but isn't there too many numbers ??
Hi that's what I thought, having looked at the Haynes myself. I'll try to post a photo of the engine number so you can have a look

1 - 8 of 8 Posts