Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!
I,m a 53 year old from Norway, and new to this site. I have already posted this in the welcome-section, but is propably better here. I,m currently restoring what should be a 70 T120R.
What puzzles me is the frame and engine number. It says CD 43497 on both, which should mean it,s a march 70,s bike, but according to the litterature I have found, the 70,s last letter D-marking started at JD (august 1970). The numbers stamped seems original, with underlaying Triumph logos, and also T120R making. Does my bike not exist??
Someone please help me out here..
20210406_203152.jpg
20210406_203119.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, your bike exists! It's a March 1970. Best model year 1970! last before Triumph switched to oil in frame.
Please post lots of pictures!
This is from the TOMCC site.
Steve

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
those numbers all definitely look genuine
- i have just completed a rebuild on a 1970 T120R and the numbers start with BD ----

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks SPWL and Wol!
Aha, so that means JD marking appears in august 69, and then appears again in august 70? Which will put my CD in between there . Starting to make sense..

·
Super Moderator
8,278 Posts
Hi Hakon,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum. :)
means JD marking appears in august 69, and then appears again in august 70?
Yes, but August 1969 engine/frame numbers will be lower than August 1970 engine/frame numbers ... :)

Regrettably, not only original Triumph manuals but also every printed source afterwards fails to explain two simple things:-

. the 'year letter' is always the "model year", never the calendar year; sometimes they coincide, sometimes they do not;

. but the 'month letter' is always the calendar month.

Then otherwise-highly-respected authors have confused by publishing that every "model year" began in the exactly the same month every calendar year and lasted exactly twelve months to the same month in the following calendar year, when even cursory examination of the factory records would have shown that was not correct. :(

Aside, the numbers for "T150V" and "TRX75" are wrong, as is the year for the TRX75.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Stuart!
No wonder my confusion there, thank you so much for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts