Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've discovered that a Grant +.030" piston ring set I bought has incorrect oil control rings. The end gap is excessive out of the box. I was told by a reputable shop that he's had the same problem with Grant rings and that Grant has been unwilling to correct the problem.

I need a set of +.030" rings for my 1970 T120R engine. The cylinders are freshly bored and I'm using new Emgo +.030"

The places I buy parts from don't have +.030 ring sets or sell the Grant sets. I'm considering getting a set of Hepolite +.040 rings and gapping to fit if I can find stock.

Anybody know where I can get a set of +.030" rings?

Picture shows a Grant oil control ring in my cylinder. Gap is close to 0.100". Specified gap is 0.010" - 0.014" although I'm being told a larger gap is advisable because of modern fuels.

I previously got a bad set of rings made by Grant. The chamfer was uneven around the ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Hi MLW9110, Bonneville Shop is one of the few places that sells +.030 pistons & rings. It's an unusual size so most makers don't offer it.
They sell the Grant ring in + .030.
TRIUMPH 650 BONNEVILLE TIGER T120 TR6 GRANT PISTON RING SET USA MADE PN# 70-6864 70-6865 US (thebonnevilleshop.com)

I would call them & ask if they have any other suppliers that offer.

35 years ago I installed a set of Hastings rings in a 130 Mercedes motor with gap like that. I called Hastings. They said it would work. I put them in & it worked fine. I'd not believed it.

I'd call Grant & see what they say. Maybe they packed .020 ring in box by mistake??
Don

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called Grant. They are looking but I doubt they'll be able to help. They are having supply chain problems.

I got the rings from The Bonneville Shop. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Meanwhile I ordered a set from Klempf's. Mitch.told me they haven't had any complaints. He doesn't know who makes them. If they aren't right, I might have to go to .040 over.
Thanks for your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts