Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have thoughts on this from looking at lots of used T120s, but i just wanna see what the triumph community thinks. What is you opinion on what the best deal you'd be likely to find on a 2 tone 2018 T120 with about 2000 miles in dead mint condition with a clean title? Just wanna see what you all think. I have a line on a killer deal but have to find a way to get there as it's far away and i will likely have to pay about $300 to get there by uber or such which due to my location is my only option. Still a killer deal even with that but i just wanna hear what u all think is a absolute killer deal on the above description.

·
Registered
2018 Street Scrambler
489 Posts
What’s everyone’s definition of a “killer deal”? $10K? $8K? $6K?
Your question is too open ended. And you already told us you already looked at lots of used T120s and you think it’s a killer deal. So just go buy it already.

Why not just tell us what the asking price is, and tell us what you’re willing to spend, or ask what you should pay, but tell us the price first. And tell us the location. A price in Buffalo in January is different than a price in San Diego in January.

·
Registered
2018 T120 & 2000 Ducati Monster 900
328 Posts
You should be able to find lots of deals in the great white north this time of year. Riding home not so easy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, thats actually one of the issues besides paying a lot. I'm not in a cold climate but it's still way too cold for me to ride nearly 200 miles in 40-50 degree weather. I have made the mistake of doing that before for a much shorter ride and it was horrific.

·
Registered
2018 Street Scrambler
489 Posts
Not a T120, but this past June I bought a 2018 Street Scrambler with only 600 or so miles, first service was done, seller included two helmets and a new Joe Rocket jacket. $7000. Thought it was a very good deal for something that could pass for showroom new. List on them is $11,000.
I had tried dealerships too. Three different dealers had used 2018s for $9000 and refused to talk on the price.

Also some personal private sales that might help.…… I also owned two mag wheel Bonnevilles, both 2014s . Very low mileage.
Two years ago I sold one for $6500. Last month I sold the second one- 4000 miles with Triumph windshield and semi hard bags for $5500.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Then it should be less. And accessories and mods shouldn’t make a difference - they don’t to dealers. I’ve learned this from experience. And also that Triumphs lose value like a leaky faucet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’m guessing it should sell for about 8k. The mileage is low for a four year old bike, so it has sat a lot. When was it last serviced. You might have to have that done yourself which isn’t exactly free at $250-$500) I’d check that the wiring harness is in good condition (look for wear near the headstock) and that all the associated recalls have been done. If you have the vin, you can email that to Triumph usa’s customer service department and they can tell you what services have been performed on it and if any open recalls remain.

As for transport, seems you can rent a pickup truck with trailer hitch and a uhaul moto trailer for about what that one way Uber is gonna cost you? The actual rental is not that much, it’s just the miles that get you. Uhaul charges less per mile certain days off the week so I’d ask before booking. In think early or mid week is cheaper. Four tie down ratchet straps are all else you’ll need, and you can score those at Home Depot for about $10-$15 for all four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pudge

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When i moved here i got the smallest truck they had and a trailer. Total cost including the $1/mile and fuel plus rental fees was almost $800. And gas was $1 less per gallon then compared to today. And do note that regular fuel in Ca where we have the highest price in the nation is $5/gallon. Then theres the fact i can't be sure i would buy it unless i do a test ride and hear no noises and everything including how i like it works out. So i would have to drive the 320 miles, try it, then drive home and get a rental truck and trailer and go back. Add another $50-60 for gas when i go to look at it. Overall at near 70 i just don't have the drive to do all that, plus the cost will put the price into a reasonable deal category rather than killer deal. So i'm still thinking on it but it doesn't look doable. And the truck rental idea is just too much.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, i am going to pass on this bike. There was the exact same model, same year, and same mileage for sale about 30 miles from this one and he too was selling it cheap tho not AS cheap. I asked the owner of this "second one" if he bought it from that guy and he said no. I asked further questions and he seemed to be avoiding them and kept telling me he's selling it because it's too heavy. It just all sounded too BS and so i still have the pics from the first bike and i compared them closely and noticed some things that led me to realize it IS the same bike. Both even stated 2300 miles. I knew it had to be but the guy lied and i had to question if it could be a coincidence. The only difference is the second seller's pics show a very discolored header but unlike normal discoloration it was only extending out about 1/4 to 1/2" from the header clamp. I think they are double walled anyways which means it make have gotten very hot and leads me to wonder if maybe the bike overheated. Maybe he did something to it and is selling it cheap because of some possible damage. The pic of the first seller's bike shows that same header and it's clean new chrome. I was also suspicious that the price was so cheap and yet he said "make a reasonable offer and drive it home" which leads me to believe he wants to unload it and get the worry and headache off his hands. None of it makes sense and there's no doubt in my mind that he's hiding something, so i'm taking a pass rather than taking the risk.

·
Registered
2018 Street Scrambler
489 Posts
Good work. Go with your instinct and take a pass. So many red flags here. The lying. The evasiveness. And being too eager to let go of it. Sellers can be eager to sell for a variety of reasons, but all these issues taken together are cause to take a pass.
Maybe the first seller polished the heck out of the headers to get rid of the discoloration and the second seller didn’t feel like bothering.

When viewing a possible purchase in person, ask to see the title. Notice the date the seller titled it. Someone selling two or three months after they bought it leads me to take a pass. You can also do this from a distance by having the seller text you a photo of it.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
FWIW, I bought a 2016 T120 new and have been very happy with the bike. You're on the right track! There have been some small updates and changes to the bike over the last six years, but nothing major and nothing that should keep anyone from acquiring a nice 2016 T120 at a good price. I'd suggest getting one with cruise control already installed as the kits are pushing $400 now when you can find one.

Here's a test ride and review of the 2016 T120 that hits most of the high points:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have thoughts on this from looking at lots of used T120s, but i just wanna see what the triumph community thinks. What is you opinion on what the best deal you'd be likely to find on a 2 tone 2018 T120 with about 2000 miles in dead mint condition with a clean title? Just wanna see what you all think. I have a line on a killer deal but have to find a way to get there as it's far away and i will likely have to pay about $300 to get there by uber or such which due to my location is my only option. Still a killer deal even with that but i just wanna hear what u all think is a absolute killer deal on the above description.
FWIW, I purchased all of my 6 cycles in the Winter months in either Wisconsin or Michigan. I drove 400 miles one way to pick up the last one. Agree with Fourcycle on the U-Haul. I rented their motorcycle specific trailer and pulled it behind my Jeep Renegade w/2" receiver. I recommend you purchase or borrow the Canyon Dancer handlebar harness plus 5 ratchet straps. I bought the British version. The trailer has a recess for the front wheel and plenty of connection points. Just make sure you ratchet the left and right seat rails so it doesn't move laterally. Weekday rates were very fair. Don't buy anything you haven't physically seen or depend on a shipper to do the transport. One issue I have with my Triumph is that Covid killed all the dealers in my state. I talked to people in the know and they said it's unlikely they or others will re-open until the pandemic is pretty much over. Keep that in mind for any of the import bikes. Most of my riding friends put 500-1000 miles per year on their bikes. It may seem low, but if you remove work, cold days, rainy days, windy days, chore days, family days and the like, some years that's all you can fit in. That is unless you are seriously trying to do otherwise. If I like a bike I don't care so much if I get the rock bottom deal so long as it's clean, well taken care of and mechanically dependable. Life is short. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts