Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I suppose we are getting some experiences from owners having had to change tyres on their T120 and I would like to know if some recommendations come to mind.

I'm not happy with the Pirelli Phantoms, given that I ride the bike to work, wether it rains or not, and I find them to be pretty bad on wet roads. Also they follow the imperfections of the road pretty easily. And damn are they numerous in Belgium. On the other hand they do look good, they grip well on dry roads and they seem to last pretty long.

My dealer is guiding me towards some Bridgestone BT45 because they are pretty cheap and seem to have a good overall record. But I'm afraid I may put my standards too high, and maybe I should look at the Avon Storm's that Triumph recommend. I do a lot of highway riding and maybe they will hold longer before getting squared ?

Any experience with them ? Any tyres recommended ? (I fondly remember my Michelin PR4 on my previous bikes, and kinda regret they dont make the right size for the T120).

Thanks

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hi

I suppose we are getting some experiences from owners having had to change tyres on their T120 and I would like to know if some recommendations come to mind.

I'm not happy with the Pirelli Phantoms, given that I ride the bike to work, wether it rains or not, and I find them to be pretty bad on wet roads. Also they follow the imperfections of the road pretty easily. And damn are they numerous in Belgium. On the other hand they do look good, they grip well on dry roads and they seem to last pretty long.

My dealer is guiding me towards some Bridgestone BT45 because they are pretty cheap and seem to have a good overall record. But I'm afraid I may put my standards too high, and maybe I should look at the Avon Storm's that Triumph recommend. I do a lot of highway riding and maybe they will hold longer before getting squared ?

Any experience with them ? Any tyres recommended ? (I fondly remember my Michelin PR4 on my previous bikes, and kinda regret they dont make the right size for the T120).

Thanks
If you're going to run bias ply tires, such as the B-stone BT45's, which have a tendency to wander on grooved/inconsistent surfaces btw, I'd give the Michelin Pilot Activ's a try instead… I have run them for years on my '03 Bonnie…

For quite a while I've wanted to give a set of radials a try and I recently put a set of the B-stone T30 EVO radials on and am really liking them… time will tell what mileage I get out of them… If they last as well as the Pilot Activ's have for me. I'll probably stick with them, as I can get either the B-stone's or Michelin's for around $225/set delivered from an online discounter… and I do my own tire mounting...

The 150/70/17 is easy peasy, size wise… the stock 100/90/18 size that the T120 uses is less common… but a 110/80/18 is available in both of the above lines of tires… Very nearly the exact same net diameter and only very slightly wider… no problem with fitment or handling differences between them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Like others, finding alternatives is not easy and unlike other reviewers, I hadn't heard wonderful things about the BT45s but then it was small sample size. I went Pirelli again and must kept reminding myself to use 'rain' setting in the wet... Overall, I haven't found them to be that bad and every Triumph dealer around me (and touring) has them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Continental contiroadattack 3 are the best option
Because???

I love tire threads almost as much as oil threads… actually… even a bit more… oil characteristics can be easily identified and quantified… tire characteristics and MOST importantly… what the buyer is looking for in a tire… is much more subjective…

There are any number of tire brands and categories out there… the way you use a tire and how you prioritize the importance (to you) of its' characteristics, grip/handling/longevity/ride comfort wise, may be totally different than what I'm looking for…

In other words… there is NO ONE BEST tire for every bike or every rider…

Also, folks… don't go into "paralysis through analysis" when looking at tires… this isn't a long term relationship you're buying into here… There is no divorce, alimony or child support payments to deal with if the tires you try doesn't hit the mark that you're looking for…

A tire is a disposable/consumable item… do your research, ask for opinions (beyond simply which is "the best") on what tires may fit your desired characteristics (in this case, the OP didn't like the wandering of the OEM tires. I advised, through personal experience that the BT45's that he mentioned are known to suffer the same problem.) and give whatever you select a try… If they work for you… great… If they're not exactly what you were looking for… use them up and try something else… If you do any miles at all… you'll burn through them quickly enough…

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice !

I have ordered the Avon, and I will report back about them. But I will definitely keep the Scorpion Trails in mind. They were stock on my previous bike and they were pretty nice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I hate buying tires but I sure like new rubber. It will be a while before I need to worry about it though.

I'm the new guy and my bike only has 250 miles, just picked it up Friday. :)

One of the first things I noticed is the stock Pirelli's love to follow the grooved pavement. Never did care for Pirelli's much, I wonder what Metzler has to offer.

·
Registered
498 Posts
you will get a great front end improvement, especially eliminating tramlining, by fitting radial fronts to go with the radial rears already fitted. You may need to change from 100/90-18 to 110/80R18 but this is the same as Tiger800's and last gen. Bonneville T100's (only they have 19" fronts). Everyone complains about tramlining and it's fixed by fitting radials.

100/90 is virtually the same height as 110/80 so you won't notice a difference in height, just a huge improvement in handling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just ordered a pair of Avon Storm 3DX-M £219 fitted on the bike, I got 6000 miles out of the Phantoms could of got a few miles out of them especially the rear which had 3mm of tread left 1.6mm on the front.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I fitted Michelin Pilot Road tyres to my old model 2013 Thruxton and they were very good. I got a Pilot Road 4 for the rear but had to go with the Pilot Road 3 for the front in 110/80 zr 18 as they don't do that size in the 4.

·
Registered
901 Posts
only reason I can think of is they're trying to keep the retro look and someone must think 100/90 looks the part.

for normal road use the front 110/80 (radial) is just going to be so much better!!

Nickolarge has the right idea.
Please tell me why radial tires are "just going to be so much better!!"…

I have ridden nearly 150k miles with bias ply tires on my Bonnie… I now have about 3k miles riding with my current set of B-stone T30 EVO's… which are radials… Other than a bit different feel in how they fall into a turn/corner (NOT better or worse, just different) than my preferred Michelin bias ply combo, I can't tell any real difference between them… And that difference in their turn in characteristic, is no greater than the difference I felt between the various bias ply tires that I tried from other tire brands/manufacturers…

When I was looking into trying a set of radials, which I was hesitant to do since the Michelin Pilot Activ's were so good at doing what I wanted out of my tires… and were so affordable, I asked a good friend/riding buddy/riding mentor of mine…. who owns six bikes (with either bias ply or radial tires on them) and has logged well over 500k miles in his riding life… "what is the difference between the two?… is it handling/grip? Mileage/wear? What will I gain by spending (at that time, quite a bit) more on a set of radials rather than just sticking with what's working for me now?" Now, this is a guy that pretty dialed in to telling minute differences in "all things motorcycling"… jetting, suspension, etc. wise… and his response surprised me… "I dunno… I can't tell a whole lot of difference between them…"

So, I'll ask again… other than being a newer construction technology/technic…. How are radial tires "so much better?" I would really like someone to clearly explain and quantify their "better-ness"…

Also, the reason that you would get a bias front and radial rear combo has nothing to do with "retro looks"… You can configure a tire mold/tread pattern to look any way you want… It has more to do with tire demand for a particular tire/rim diameter and width… Until the recent retro and "adventure bike" trends hit, 19" front tires/wheels on current street motorcycles… and to a lesser extent 18" too… just weren't all that commonly used on street bikes… As demand for 18" & 19" tires has increased, so have choices in tire construction. Four or five years ago, you were VERY hard pressed to find much choice in 18" radial… and 19" ones were nigh on impossible… these days? A veritable buffet of choices and being added to constantly…

For me, "the jury is still out" on the whole radial vs. bias ply thing… I'll have to see how many miles I get out of the T30 EVO's… if it's a good bit less than what I get out of the Pilot Activ's… then I'm "back to bias plies"… since they both do everything that I want them to do… and they're priced in the same neighborhood… wear/mileage will be the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run the BT45's on my Bonneville SE and T120 Black and they are better than the OEM Tyres both bikes shipped with IMHO. Much better wear as they are dual compound and 'tramlining' if there is such a thing is not apparent to me!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I am following this tread with interest, I have a 2017 T-120.

I would like to know what are you getting mileage-wise from the original tires (Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp) on the T-120?

I am getting close to 5,000 miles. The owner's manual states that the minimum tread depth for the front tire is 0.08 in. (2mm) and for the read is 0.12 in. (3mm).
Gathering information on the different characteristics (expected mileage, dry and wet traction, handling) of possible replacements is difficult.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am going with the Angel GT's when I am ready for tires. 160 rear and 110 front. I plan on putting taller rear shocks on. The stock tires just don't inspire much confidence. I had mine almost come out from under me twice now. First time was my fault, cold tires. Second time not so much, thought I was going to low side the bike moved that much.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts