Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are T120 owners seeing for tire life? My stock Pirelli's lasted almost 7000 miles and I replaced them with Avon Storm 3's. The front is done at 6000 miles. The rear still has a lot of tread and is a little squared but not as bad as some I've had on other bikes.

I pay attention to my tire pressure and don't ride overly aggressively. The front developed a noticeable wobble or vibration on the handlebars on low speed tight corners, especially downhill. I found that the tire has developed a little bit of pitting and that was when I found I was also pretty low on remaining tread.

Is the T120 a bike that likes to have a new front tire every 6000 miles?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I got 15K miles out of the stock tires on my T120. The front was almost to the indicators and the rear could still have gone a little further. I’d say I’m not an overly aggressive rider either. I’m not sure how to explain the difference. I check pressure regularly.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The stock Pirellis on my T120 went 9,700 miles, by far the best life of any set of M/C tires I've ever had. The rear tire never did square off, and probably had several thousand more miles in it. The tread on the front tire was thin. This is the first time I had a rear tire outlast the front. Usually, the front lasted easily twice as long as the rear.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Almost 11k miles on my OEM Pirellis. Changed them both because the front tire was wearing thin, but the rear tire would have gone several k more miles. I replaced the Pirellis with Avon Spirit STs and only time will tell how far they go. I will say this, though: They handle so much better than the Pirellis ever did and I won't really care if they don't go as far.

Pete

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With three out of three responses having way more miles then I am experiencing, I really wonder what the difference is? I keep pressure at 34 front, 38 rear. I weigh around 240, typically ride around 75-80, but live in extreme heat so I ride in temps above 105 most of the time (I try not to ride after 110. I doesn't feel good).

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
With three out of three responses having way more miles then I am experiencing, I really wonder what the difference is? I keep pressure at 34 front, 38 rear. I weigh around 240, typically ride around 75-80, but live in extreme heat so I ride in temps above 105 most of the time (I try not to ride after 110. I doesn't feel good).
Hot road temps won't help with long life of tyres maybe find a duel compound tyre, hard in the middle and soft on the sides.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
My front Pirelli went at around 7k, and I just replaced both. The front stock tire is bias ply, and the rear is radial, but lots of people say on here that it doesn't matter.

I replaced both with Continental Road Attack III tires, and they have lasted about 10k now and seem to have plenty of tread left.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
The front stock tire is bias ply, and the rear is radial, but lots of people say on here that it doesn't matter.
Here's the best explanation I've heard yet about that and I heard it from a Triumph factory representative who was visiting the dealership I bought my bike from:

The decision to put a bias-ply on the front was based on the recommendation of Triumph's legal team. Radial tires have softer, more flexible sidewalls than bias-ply tires so they're more likely to come off the rim in a catastrophic failure, and things never go well when a front tire comes off a rim at speed. The likelihood that either kind of tire will come off a rim is extremely remote, but lawyers, barristers, and solicitors can't seem to think in anything but worst-case scenarios.

Pete

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
FWIW, I'm convinced that higher temperatures cause faster tire wear and I can back that up with some personal experience:

I lived in Quincy California from January 1980 to November 2001 (21 years). Quincy is in the geographic center of the Plumas National Forest and just about all the roads up there are twisties. We had hot 100°+ days up there but they were few and far between and typical temperatures during the summer were in the 80s.

When I moved back to Southern California I expected my tires to last longer because the roads are a lot straighter down here, but that isn't how it worked out. The same car with the same brand and series of tires on it got 15k-20k less miles before they needed replacement. I'll add that my driving style remained basically the same. The only real difference was the higher average temperatures here in So. CA.

And understand that I've lived near the coast since I moved back here and it's a lot cooler here than it is inland and definitely cooler than it is out in your neck of the woods, ETC. Oh wait: You don't have much in the way of woods in El Centro, do you? :nah

Pete

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I weigh 170, seldom cruise at high speed, and run my stock Pirellis at around 34 PSI rear, 30 front. I think your tires are working harder than mine do, plus you're riding in warmer temperatures. It gets hot here, too, but I'm off of the roads for the day before 9:00 AM.

My T120 has also been on a bit of a diet. It dropped six pounds at the decat, and over four more when the front brake discs were changed for the floating discs of the T100. Also gone is that heavy headlamp heat sink, removed when I installed the T100 headlamp that is so much better on high beam. That's about 12 pounds altogether. That's half the weight difference between the stock T120 and T100. The additional 12 pounds gets me a sixth gear, 300ccs more displacement, dual brake discs, a center stand, and the low grab bar, all with no fuel economy penalty. I'll take the added weight!

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Got 8k from the front with some left out back. Replaced them with Conti Road Attack 3s. They transformed the bike from a Buick to a sports car. Should have done this thousands of miles back. The OEM tires are a terrible compromise to get a vintage look.

Free your bike now! Get real tires!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Your tire life is probably due to: your weight, your speed and the temps you are riding in...

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got 8k from the front with some left out back. Replaced them with Conti Road Attack 3s. They transformed the bike from a Buick to a sports car. Should have done this thousands of miles back. The OEM tires are a terrible compromise to get a vintage look.

Free your bike now! Get real tires!
Um, I posted about the lack of life of Avon Storm 3's. They were much better handling tires then the stock Pirelli's but the front Avon only lasted about the same amount of time. Definitely not longer.

I went to San Diego today to get a replacement for at least the front, maybe both. They did not have a set there for me today but there is a set of Avon Spirit ST's on the way. They have been well received by their customers but a couple of reviews I read make them sound like they don't last as long as the Storm's and the also develop a wobble in low speed turns after a couple thousand miles. That is what my Storm's did too. Now I wonder if I want them.

It doesn't seem that there has been much experience shared here or on Advrider where I posted the same question about the Avon's.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Got 8k from the front with some left out back. Replaced them with Conti Road Attack 3s. They transformed the bike from a Buick to a sports car.
Have you driven any of the contemporary Buicks? I recently drove a friend's 2019 Regal GS and I was blown away not only by the performance and handling, but by how quiet and comfortable it was.

Pete

·
Registered
101 Posts
You are getting outstanding mileage given your weight, speed you maintain and temperature! I've tried just about every brand of tire out there and can't recall getting 4K miles out of a rear on the various bikes I've had over the years including CB900 Custom, CBR600, FJ1200, CBR900RR, SV1000S, Ducati 900 S Sport, TT600. That said I'm trying the RoadSmart II's (yes the older version, available cheap) on my 3 road bikes right now and think I may get 6 - 8K out of a set.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
At just a bit over 7K miles my original front tire is down to 3mm, and the rear to 3.5mm. Replacement is recommended at 3mm on each tire so I'm shopping around. I have Pirelli Sport Demons on my K75 and they perform well in the wet. I'm researching ADV type tires, ones that actually make an 18" as I want something a bit more aggressive to deal with traction issues with all the sand and gravel on the roads out here.

Michelin Anakee III were my first choice but they don't make an 18". I think I've narrowed it down to Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's as they are rated for high speed, have an extremely long life, don't square off, and have good traction in the wet.

I've always run my tires, on the road anyway, within a few pounds of the maximum pressure on the side of the tire and have good traction, even wear, and a decent ride. Woody's Wheels, the preeminent motorcycle wheel folks in the Denver area, suggest running my tires at just a few pounds below the maximum suggested on the sidewall as well.

Anybody had experience with running the Scorpion 2's? I've read on this site that there might be some road noise above 60mph. Not a big deal for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone running Michelin Pilot Activ on their T120 and what kind of mileage did you get? I noticed that they come in exact OEM sizes and they are bias, front and rear. How do they compare to the stock tires as far as handling and wet conditions?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
To recap, the OEM Pirellis wear like a pig's nose and nobody is impressed with how they perform. Every other tire works better and nothing lasts longer.

With a Thruxton, everybody loves how the OEM Pirellis perform, and nobody is impressed with how long they last.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Based on what I have heard here and on the same question I posted on Advrider, I determined that a very few individuals get decent miles out of the front tire on the T120. My experience of getting around 6500 was echoed by many. It seems that sometime around 7000 I will be purchasing tires every year and it is related to the heat I ride in (very hot) and the speed at which I ride (usually above 70).

Anyway, I replaced the Avon Storm 3D's with a set of Avon Spirit's. I am not sure how much better they handle then the Storm's as my front was cupped and provided a lot of bar shake in low speed tight corners. They were great when new. The Spirit's are also a great ride.

I had contemplated putting on a set of TKC70's but was advised against it as the knobby tread would wear even faster then any other tire I've had. I also do not have any crash bars on my T120 and my putting on dual sport tires would get me onto even more gravel then I already ride. Maybe next set though . . .

Here's a couple of pics from a ride I did yesterday to see how the Spirit's handled. I like the tires!

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
My OEM tires, front and rear, were toast after 6,000 miles. I put on Shinko adventure tires, they had quite a bit of life left after 6,500 miles, but I was heading out on a long 2500 mile road trip so I changed them just to be safe. I then put on Shinko 712's front and rear, and after 3,000 miles they still are going strong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts