Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hell of a time adjusting to the throttle by wire set-up on my T120 the first time I rode it. The throttle seemed overly sensitive, giving an imprecise, on-off, notchy kind of feeling.

After 20 minutes or so, I think I got used to it, and things smoothed out. My theory is that the bike I was used to, my T100, has much less in the way of available power and engine braking. Small, unnecessary throttle movements that were always unnoticed by me before were leading to some serious surging on the T120.

Anyway, that's my theory. Are you noticing the same thing with your throttle-by-wire set up? Did it smooth out for you?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Yeah, it took some getting used to for me as well, especially since I was used to a 1970 Bonnie with stiff dual cables. I found it helpful to brace my index finger firmly against the solid base to help stabilize things. I tried inserting a large O ring, but that doesn't work, since the throttle return spring pressure is so light, it just stuck the throttle open. I also considered putting some heavy grease under the throttle tube to dampen things, but with the heated grips, I figured it would just make a runny mess. In the long run, the only solution is to be able to increase the spring strength inside the body itself, something I don't want to get into with a new bike. Hopefully, the aftermarket will eventually offer an adjustable spring tension and viscous damping. That said, I have gotten used to it where now I really don't notice it, even in local town traffic. This is my first "ride by wire" experience, and I suppose all bikes of this design are similar.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys! Interesting indeed.

On a positive note, my throttle hand and wrist never got uncomfortable during the 5+ hour ride home from the dealer last Saturday. I'm thinking that can only be due to the light throttle return spring and maybe the nicely positioned stock bars that put no pressure on my wrists.

I wish Triumph had found a way to dampen twist grip movement a little while still keeping the return spring light.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My Thruxton is the same. I put it down yo not riding a twin for many years. One thing that helps me is to use rain mode around town, it is like riding a four again much smoother.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've noticed some slight on/off throttle feeling in 2nd & 3rd up to about 50 when trying to ride at a steady throttle. It has gotten slightly less annoying with a few miles on my bike, but it is still there...doubt there is anything that can be done, but I will keep asking the dealer. It is not my throttle hand, but a slight lean/rich metering of fuel I think. Beyond this annoyance, the T120 is really a nice bike.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The RBW throttle on my 1200 GS is far more sensitive to small inputs. So for me the Triumph T120 seems wonderfully smooth and, if anything, lacks sensitivity.
Ride and soon you will get used to it; then you will hate the lack of response when you ride a cable actuated throttle!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I had a hell of a time adjusting to the throttle by wire set-up on my T120 the first time I rode it. The throttle seemed overly sensitive, giving an imprecise, on-off, notchy kind of feeling.

After 20 minutes or so, I think I got used to it, and things smoothed out. My theory is that the bike I was used to, my T100, has much less in the way of available power and engine braking. Small, unnecessary throttle movements that were always unnoticed by me before were leading to some serious surging on the T120.

Anyway, that's my theory. Are you noticing the same thing with your throttle-by-wire set up? Did it smooth out for you?
Does the ECU adapt to your riding style and smooth out the throttle response after a few miles?

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Does the ECU adapt to your riding style and smooth out the throttle response after a few miles?
Interesting point. Most all cars have had adaptive EFi ECU's since OBD II. IIRC, the "dumb" ECU on my '09 has a tiny bit of adaptability. Not sure you'll find public documentation on yours, but see what happens over a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It all takes practice....try the rain mode when in heavy stop start traffic. Just press the button and quickly pull the clutch in on the move usually does it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts