Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the throttle body screw is on a new T120? Dealertool shows them going from “balanced” to “adjust” back and forth. I’m hoping I can reach the screw so I can try to get it dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Unfortunately, throttle balancing and adjustment are all electronic on the T120. There's no adjusting screw. Is your bike otherwise running OK?

I’ve seen people balancing their throttle bodies on their T120s in multiple videos. Did they remove the screw used to adjust the balance recently? Bike runs alright but their slightly out of balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
The service manual shows the screw(s) and describes the process but I can’t figure out where it is or how to get to it. I’ve read that you need to remove the rear wheel and air box but the service manual doesn’t mention that. The Haynes manual just says to bring it to the dealer. I’ve seen a video for an a/c T100 which shows the screw between the throttle bodies and easily accessed from above. If anyone has seen a video for the T120, please share

·
Registered
25 Posts
Throttle body balancing when done by the book requires removal of the rear wheel / air box / fuel tank to easily access the screw and adjust the balance

A forum member in this thread managed to do the adjustment with the use of some modified torx screwdrivers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Throttle body balancing when done by the book requires removal of the rear wheel / air box / fuel tank to easily access the screw and adjust the balance

A forum member in this thread managed to do the adjustment with the use of some modified torx screwdrivers.
Reference from the tritun manual on the page describing throttle body balancing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
I was about to post this from the manual. There's nothing about removing the rear wheel or air box. They want you to remove the fuel tank and use a fuel line extender so you can access the screw and start the engine. I don't see from this picture where the screw is but it's referred to as "between cylinder 1 and 2".

P.S. I can see the screw. The outer blanking screw is a 30 torx. The inner adjusting scew is a 20 torx. You should be able to get to it by moving the back if the tank out of the way. There are 90 degree adjusting tools available.

https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-PP2821-Motorcycle-Carburetor/dp/B005SUU24G/ref=sr_1_7?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1saC_cDp4gIVk6DsCh3AoQdTEAMYASAAEgLoJPD_BwE&hvadid=153698463987&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030895&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=15244653014354799459&hvtargid=aud-646675774026:kwd-12346245522&hydadcr=7494_9234448&keywords=screw+adjusting+tool&qid=1560533702&s=automotive&sr=1-7

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was about to post this from the manual. There's nothing about removing the rear wheel or air box. They want you to remove the fuel tank and use a fuel line extender so you can access the screw and start the engine. I don't see from this picture where the screw is but it's referred to as "between cylinder 1 and 2".

P.S. I can see the screw. The outer blanking screw is a 30 torx. The inner adjusting scew is a 20 torx. You should be able to get to it by moving the back if the tank out of the way. There are 90 degree adjusting tools available.

https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-PP2821-Motorcycle-Carburetor/dp/B005SUU24G/ref=sr_1_7?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1saC_cDp4gIVk6DsCh3AoQdTEAMYASAAEgLoJPD_BwE&hvadid=153698463987&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030895&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=15244653014354799459&hvtargid=aud-646675774026:kwd-12346245522&hydadcr=7494_9234448&keywords=screw+adjusting+tool&qid=1560533702&s=automotive&sr=1-7
Apologies! Doug is correct - I had gotten my bikes mixed up the Thruxton R requires complete removal of the airbox. The T120 is definitely the one of the easier of the water cooled's. Here is the rest of the process for the T120 as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
That view is from the rear. The blanking screw is offset to the right side. The tank could be moved to the left side without removing it, especially if it’s nearly empty. There’s no space though, to get at the screw. You can touch it from below but there is only enough room for your finger. The hoses to the air box are in the way. My torx drivers are way too big. Either micro tools are needed or there’s a secret. I can see how removing the airbox could be necessary. The shiny thing in the upper right is the blanking screw behind the right throttle body.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts

Apologies! Doug is correct - I had gotten my bikes mixed up the Thruxton R requires complete removal of the airbox. The T120 is definitely the one of the easier of the water cooled's. Here is the rest of the process for the T120 as well.
T looks like you can’t get to it without removing the air box which requires removing the rear wheel. I found an old thread where Forchetto talks about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/740530-t120-throttle-body-balance-issue.html?amp=1

It’s hard to believe Triumph designed the bike to make this adjustment, which was simple on the air cooled bikes, so difficult. Gotta be a money grubbing gift to the dealers.

P.S. Here’s someone who did it more simply (post 7):

https://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-technical-talk/864362-t3880900-throttle-body-adjustment-tool.html#/topics/864362

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Just did this thanks to advice from thensley. I used Dealertool. It reads and displays the MAP pressures in kPa and the ECU tells you when it’s balanced. Just remove the outer metal and inner plastic cover of the right throttle body, the right side cover, and the sump breather tube to the air box. The filter in this tube assembly is screwed to the air box. It’s very tight but doable. A micro (4”) 1/4” ratchet, 1/4” hex socket, and a set of torx bits (especially the T30 for the outer screw) with a 1/4” end plus the torx set referenced above by thensley (for the T20 to for the adjuster screw) is all you need. Mine was more than 10 hPa off and it’s smoother after balancing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Balanced TB’s successfully

Thanks to this thread I was able to balance my tb’s today on my 2018 T120.

Using the Dealertool software I had about a 3-4 kPa difference in readings, and it said “Adjust”. I turned the adjusting screw about 1/8 turn and they balanced out and it now said “Balanced”. I had previously installed pod air filters, which required removal of the intake ducts. This fortunately made access very easy. I didn’t have to remove anything but the pod filter and crank vent hose.

1st pic is the cover screw, mine was a hex socket head and took a 5mm hex key to remove.
2nd pic is a 3mm hex key I used to adjust it.
3rd pic is end result..

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts