Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had noticed my side stand making noise when I Return it to the up position, there is metal on metal contact
When I look under the round nub on the side stand contacts a flat area on the frame, there seems to be some sticky residue there which leads me to belive there must have been a small rubber pad glued there that has now fallen off

Could anyone confirm that there should be something there?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Yes, look at this photo of the ST stand. It appears there should be a tatty little rubber pad stuck to the frame almost as an afterthought, probably with the same sort of crap glue they've used on the magnet that operates the stand safety switch...:) the phrase "spoiling the ship for a hap'orth of tar" comes to mind.

While there check that the dealer has added the heat-shrink sleeve to provide extra support for the magnet as instructed by the factory.

Some dealers also add 1/4 pound of bathroom sealant to the sleeve, just to make sure :) see Alex's bike:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I did notice the heat shrink around the magnet
Seems that my bit of rubber has indeed fallen off, I have cleaned the sticky residue away and will replace with some sort of rubber bump stop, I'm sure triumph won't have a part number for a small rubber square lol
Thanks for the reply and pictures

·
Registered
259 Posts
Go to a hardware store and get an adhesive bump stop..... NOW....make sure the paint surface is roughed up slightly so the adhesive will migrate into the surface. I would say they haven't prepped the powder coat or paint to receive the adhesive on the production line, so it initially sticks, then lets go a month or so down the line. You can use acetone, not fingernail polish remover as it contains oil, or a similar solvent to prep the surface.

However...it should be replaced under warranty....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i would take it in but can imagine triumph not having a clue about it and taking ages to order it in.

indeed the surface that its glued to is smooth so yeah can see how its fallen off

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Yes, look at this photo of the ST stand. It appears there should be a tatty little rubber pad stuck to the frame almost as an afterthought, probably with the same sort of crap glue they've used on the magnet that operates the stand safety switch...:) the phrase "spoiling the ship for a hap'orth of tar" comes to mind.

While there check that the dealer has added the heat-shrink sleeve to provide extra support for the magnet as instructed by the factory.

Some dealers also add 1/4 pound of bathroom sealant to the sleeve, just to make sure :) see Alex's bike:

That really is poor (both photos), they've certainly left no corner uncut on these bikes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts