Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking of purchasing a 2019 T120 Diamond Edition for my wife as an anniversary present.
She has been riding for decades.
Can the ride height be lowered a bit on them? Possibly down in the 29-30" range?
We do tour on our bikes so the seat would have to remain or be comfortable so a thinner seat would not be a good answer!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 28" inseam and flatfoot the T120
You can rise the forks in the head stock about 0.5 to 0.75", there are shorter shocks lengths available, which would reduce the height by 0.5" possible more.
This will make it extremely difficult to use the center stand. The bike leans quite a bit on the side stand now, it should be OK . You might just have her sit on one and see what she thinks. Does take away the surprise

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Seat height on the T120 is 31.1 inches (790mm) so you'd already be pretty close to what you need. My T120 sits too close to vertical when it's on the side stand so I'd be afraid to lower the bike. As is, it isn't tall.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 28" inseam and flatfoot the T120
You can rise the forks in the head stock about 0.5 to 0.75", there are shorter shocks lengths available, which would reduce the height by 0.5" possible more.
This will make it extremely difficult to use the center stand. The bike leans quite a bit on the side stand now, it should be OK . You might just have her sit on one and see what she thinks. Does take away the surprise
Yep.....she already knows I am up to something!
Measured the inseam of one of her pairs of jeans and that was 27.5" so I am at a hmmmmm moment.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There is a low seat for the T120 from Triumph. Usually they compensate for reduced seat height by using a firmer foam. I changed to OEM low seats on my previous two bikes (about 1 year into ownership each time). For me with the firmer foam they were more comfortable that the regular seat, and I went from tippy toe to almost flatfooted. Now that I have an old body (maturity is overrated though 😉) - flatfooted with a bike with low weight and low center of gravity is great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Am thinking of purchasing a 2019 T120 Diamond Edition for my wife as an anniversary present.
Can the ride height be lowered a bit on them? Possibly down in the 29-30" range?
We do tour on our bikes so the seat would have to remain or be comfortable so a thinner seat would not be a good answer!
Good choice! But I would, even if it might spoil the suprise element, get her a demo ride from the Dealer. And ask the dealer about ride hight adjustment and the possibility of a lower seat. A lower seat is far preferable to lowering the shocks! She probably wont be riding pilon, so a Cafe-style singe might work well. You can certainly get after market shocks that lower the hight, but that will also slow the stearing (rule of thum; raise the tail and quicken the stearing, lower the tail and slow it). And if anyone suggests TEC shocks (high likelihood) take that with a grain of salt and be sure to look at the photos of them falling apart. Its fine to see what the chatter-boxes on this Forum have to say, but on this issue you want REAL expert advise.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good choice! But I would, even if it might spoil the suprise element, get her a demo ride from the Dealer. And ask the dealer about ride hight adjustment and the possibility of a lower seat. A lower seat is far preferable to lowering the shocks! She probably wont be riding pilon, so a Cafe-style singe might work well. You can certainly get after market shocks that lower the hight, but that will also slow the stearing (rule of thum; raise the tail and quicken the stearing, lower the tail and slow it). And if anyone suggests TEC shocks (high likelihood) take that with a grain of salt and be sure to look at the photos of them falling apart. Its fine to see what the chatter-boxes on this Forum have to say, but on this issue you want REAL expert advise.
Don't have a clue how I would be able to get her on one for a test drive without blowing the surprise it if happens....
Not a chance on riding behind me on the bike! She is very much her own rider on her own bike.
We have 9 bikes at the moment already. Her choices range from a Honda Monkey all the way up to a Honda Valkyrie. In between there are some mid-sized bikes as well, one of which is a 2001 Triumph Thunderbird Adventurer..
We like the retro look in bikes or I would be looking elsewhere for a solution. The more I read and study up on the newest offerings of Triumph the better they look.
We are no spring chickens anymore and, being in Florida, we are not really concerned about how well a bike will handle in curves as much as some in here are.
She loves her big Valkyrie for long trips as the comfort is amazing as is the power and smoothness but handling it in off-camber parking situations (when we travel on them) is getting more difficult for her.
The T120 would drop the better part of 250-300# off of that problem and the torque curve of the T120 lends itself to drivability levels she would enjoy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A good dealer would work with you on this one. Talk to them; get their ideas. Have them give you some options. Sounds like a good move that makes you a hero (appropriately). But there's no need to take a risk if it doesnt turn out. Not argument from me about how appropriate the T120 is. Love at first sight for me; my favorite ride after 60 yearas of riding.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She has some...not sure what kind. Trick is to get her to wear them and climb on one of the other bikes we have with a 30" seat without her suspecting I am up to something.

·
Registered
825 Posts
ride height is low and in my view anyone 5' 6'' or even a bit less could ride the T120. However it is a heavier bike and in my opinion it needs a relatively experienced rider to cope with the power, the weight and the ride characteristics of the 1200 cc engine. That is just a personal view to be fair but I am touching 5' 8'' and it is a demanding but pleasant bike to ride ( I have owned my T120 for 6 months now).

So with those caveats it should be fine.

Dave

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!
Not worried about the power or the weight. She rides a Valkyrie at 98 hp at the rear and 800#. Engine is an opposed 6-cyl. She has over 5 decades of riding under her belt so far. .
The T120 will be a walk in the park for her.
I measured her inseam off a couple pairs of jeans and get around 27". Add an inch or a bit more for boots. ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would 2nd that seat being lowered than the bike parts---did that on some K75's in the 80's for women riders. Also 1/2 inch lower rear shocks once or twice. Most women riders are not cornering types but ride more straight up so the clearance problem isnt an issue---now--read this again---Most not all was used.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL thanks for clarifying but not to worry. Not the sensitive type. Neither is she! We don't have to have all the "right" names on our gear or a certain brand of bike, we enjoy riding as one of our hobbies and we enjoy the good folks we have met along this journey.
Really isn't that she is not the cornering type.....she is probably faster than I am through twisties. We just don't have many corners down here in Florida to play with.
Shorter shocks were the answer to lowering her Valkyrie by the way!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Pappy, in addition to being a Triumph lover and Triumph owner, I am also a Triumph dealer in Central FL. Perhaps you have bought some of your bikes from us. I agree with the answers you have already received, but on top of that I have a solution for your surprise. It is possible and would not be much trouble for me to arrange to allow you a “demo ride” that gets delivered to your house, with a nice bow on it or however you like, with the understanding that if the bike does not please that it comes back to my store. We have often made special arrangements to meet the custom needs of our customers and potential customers so this would not be something far from our norm of what we call our “Tampa Triumph Concierge Service”.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts