Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another poster had found these extenders on Amazon: Mirror Riser - CNC Riser Extenders Adapter - 8mm - Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NIPI86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8mjqxbAYNHQQH but mentioned that they vibrated and that the screws extended a bit to far.

Rather than cut the screws down or get shorter ones that would still be upside down and exposed, I just purchased some 8mm black chrome caps at Ace Hardware. They blend in well.

I've found there to be no vibration problems at all. The mirrors are as solid as they were before adding the extensions.

The best thing is that the rear visibility problems are completely solved. I can now see what is directly behind me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I'm relatively certain you installed the aluminum part upside down. They should look like this when the bolt is used:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71+dTBON67L._SL1500_.jpg
Delta - You're incorrect and the pics are correct. The extender bolt is fed from the bottom up which requires the cap on the top (if you want to) as shown. I know because I installed these and couldn't be more pleased with them. A very good and inexpensive solution which integrates very nicely.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Definitely installed upside down. The threaded shank of the bolt should never show. The thicker portion is the base.

I have good visibility with the T120's stock mirror set-up. For the first time I'm feeling fortunate not to have broad shoulders!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Important correction, 2017 Street Twin uses 10mm mirror threads, not 8mm. Learned the hard way. Measure twice, buy once.
Oh heck ..... I have installed bar end mirrors but was curious to see if extenders actually corrected the visibility issue sufficiently.

So I ordered these from ebay for $12.79 CAD and free shipping. Thought what the heck for the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401096526148

Anyways my ST is 2017 and sadly I only measured once..(not at all actually) but read this post (10mm thread on 2017) after order had shipped. Coming from China so will take a while. If correct and they don't fit and they are decent will give to anyone interested for cost of shipping only or free if you can pick up. Will follow up when they arrive.

Attachments

·
1,585 Posts
Lanner, big improvement on field of vision, I am completely satisfied.

The Gas Cap Dude 10mm unit I received is substantially overbuilt in comparison to the 8mm unit and is skeletinized for weight reduction whereas the smaller unit was not.

Edit: to add photo. Note the correct orientation of the aluminum armature, and bolts.

IMG_4109.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lanner, big improvement on field of vision, I am completely satisfied.

The Gas Cap Dude 10mm unit I received is substantially overbuilt in comparison to the 8mm unit and is skeletinized for weight reduction whereas the smaller unit was not.

Edit: to add photo. Note the correct orientation of the aluminum armature, and bolts.

View attachment 414538
Thanks Delta...do you have a link to that one? Amazon.com does not appear to have the skelentinized one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but this thread caused me some confusion as I researched trying to improve the functionality of my mirrors. I am adding some clarification so as to prevent anybody else looking at this thread from being confused by it.

The mirror extensions discussed in this thread can only be mounted on a T120 by having the bolt installed "upside down" as shown by the photos in the OP's post. The comments claiming that the OP has them mounted incorrectly are from Street Twin owners or someone that didn't install them. It appears that on the Street Twin they can be mounted with the bolt facing down, so I understand why a Street Twin owner would see the photo as being an incorrect installation. However on a T120 the mounting hole on the handlebar is not threaded. Thus it needs to be screwed in from the bottom up into the threaded side of the extension.

These extensions work great, and I highly recommend them. The couple of extra inches in width are just what I needed. I can now see what is behind me. I am also going to look for a couple of black rounded top nuts like the OP to cover the exposed end of the screw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts