Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the long haul windscreen this morning and here are the photos. I'm 5'10' and I can see over the screen. I haven't gotten out for a ride yet as the weather is lousy. But I like the coverage of the screen. It's wider and goes down lower. I had the Dart Marlin on the bike and it wasn't giving me enough coverage on the highway. I'll post a report when I get out tomorrow.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice. How was the installation compared to the Dart? The Marlin was dead simple to install for me. But same issue, not quite enough wind protection for longer rides on the freeway.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installation is not as easy as the Dart. The screen is attached to supports that are screwed into the top yoke and the fork frame behind the rectifier. Took my time and one and a half hour to install.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I installed the long haul windscreen this morning and here are the photos. I'm 5'10' and I can see over the screen. I haven't gotten out for a ride yet as the weather is lousy. But I like the coverage of the screen. It's wider and goes down lower. I had the Dart Marlin on the bike and it wasn't giving me enough coverage on the highway. I'll post a report when I get out tomorrow.

Thanks for posting I was waiting for someone to install one. How did you find the ride with the screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for posting I was waiting for someone to install one. How did you find the ride with the screen?

Weather has been very hot and rainy here. I haven't gotten out on the road yet. I'll post as soon as I can.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Weather has been very hot and rainy here. I haven't gotten out on the road yet. I'll post as soon as I can.

That would be great, gives the bike a totally different look. I use mine as a daily commuter along with touring and at 5 am in winter I want to block as much direct air as possible, just worry about the amount of turbulance on my helmet ! I am the same height as you so should be useful info, thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll be interested to see what you think of the airflow. I have the tall summer screen on my street twin & it does take some of the pressure off my chess at highway speeds but I don't think I'd like to ride very far or in cold weather with it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got out for a ride to test my longhaul screen. Triumph did it correct this time. The screen works well. I was on the highway at 80 mph and I had no helmet buffeting. There was a lack of wind on my legs due to the fact that the screen mounts down below the headlight. Also with the width of the screen there was no wind on my chest but there was good air flow. This is a game changer for me because I do a good amount of highway riding. Much better than the Dart screen. Plus, there was good airflow behind the screen at slower speeds. I'm 5'10" so judge for yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Excellent!. Thanks for the report. I'll keep the option handy for the winter

·
Registered
141 Posts
Finally got out for a ride to test my longhaul screen. Triumph did it correct this time. The screen works well. I was on the highway at 80 mph and I had no helmet buffeting. There was a lack of wind on my legs due to the fact that the screen mounts down below the headlight. Also with the width of the screen there was no wind on my chest but there was good air flow. This is a game changer for me because I do a good amount of highway riding. Much better than the Dart screen. Plus, there was good airflow behind the screen at slower speeds. I'm 5'10" so judge for yourself.

Thanks for the update, sold, longhaul screen it is!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agreed; a quick release Long Haul Windscreen is what my money is waiting for.

That would be ideal, best of both worlds, but in its absence I think I am going to have to go this option as early morning commutes just get unpleasant in winter !

·
Registered
53 Posts
That would be ideal, best of both worlds, but in its absence I think I am going to have to go this option as early morning commutes just get unpleasant in winter !

I understand you very well and I may have to buy that screen too. Not sure why they release lacking features accessories. I have bought the waxed bags but even if they fit perfectly and look great they can be either opened or lifted away super easy and I wish they had some sort of lock for both possibilities.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I understand you very well and I may have to buy that screen too. Not sure why they release lacking features accessories. I have bought the waxed bags but even if they fit perfectly and look great they can be either opened or lifted away super easy and I wish they had some sort of lock for both possibilities.

I would love to be able to strip the screen off on the weekends and warmer weather easily and possible replace with a dart marlin, but for the effort and every day use ability I think the long haul will be the one I buy.

I agree about the bags and am contemplating a solution to the problem as mine arrives in a little over a month and will be my major mode of transport. I wonder if there is some way to add a padlock to the back to secure the bag to the mounting rail? My work building is secure so I will leave things in them all day but when parked in public I may be able to transfer everything into one bag and take it with me whilst the other stays locked on the bike empty? Then just lock my helmet to the rack.

Looks or practicality one major first world problem.............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would love to be able to strip the screen off on the weekends and warmer weather easily and possible replace with a dart marlin, but for the effort and every day use ability I think the long haul will be the one I buy.

I agree about the bags and am contemplating a solution to the problem as mine arrives in a little over a month and will be my major mode of transport. I wonder if there is some way to add a padlock to the back to secure the bag to the mounting rail? My work building is secure so I will leave things in them all day but when parked in public I may be able to transfer everything into one bag and take it with me whilst the other stays locked on the bike empty? Then just lock my helmet to the rack.

Looks or practicality one major first world problem.............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed. Not trying to stir any political or economic debate here but when we think we pay what is a years wage in some countries for a pair of leather and cotton bags it's good we ask designers to put a little more thought while at the blackboard; I think the bikes are much better thought out than the accessories.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Indeed. Not trying to stir any political or economic debate here but when we think we pay what is a years wage in some countries for a pair of leather and cotton bags it's good we ask designers to put a little more thought while at the blackboard; I think the bikes are much better thought out than the accessories.

Yes I have to admit when I saw how they fit to the bike and do not lock I was a little disappointed, there are a few easy mods that could have been done in design / manufacture to make them a little more practical. Like you said, it's not like they are cheap, and I would probably cough up 20% more if they had those features.

My only worry is, is that I drop the dough on a long haul screen and three months later they release the quick release model. Having said that I quite like the way it looks on the bike

1 - 20 of 118 Posts