Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
120rv ,
where are you getting vacume for your reed (PCV) valve ?
Thanks for your reply triumph rules:)

My limited understanding of using the reed valve is to scavange air in pockets of the engine creating a negative pressure to help counteract oil seepage throughout motor. (see discussion in thread 72 Bonnie-from finding to buying to fixing to riding- page 123 onward) I took that discussion as reed valve creating a vacuum. My understanding could be incorrect.

re: "warmed up is 5 minutes". So how do I ride it for that 5 minute warming up period?

Thanks for your reply.:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/triumpht120rv

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
The best you can hope for with a reed-valve breather is an average crankcase pressure slightly below atmospheric pressure.At TDC the pressure will be a little lower than average,and at BDC it will still be slightly higher than atmospheric pressure.
If you close the throttle at speed,the cylinder pressure will still be lower than any crankcase pressure,and oil will be drawn up.

The best way to warm up an engine is always to ride it gently above 2000 rpm.
The worst way is to let it slow idle.

Even though the piston is still a little loose in the bore when you start up cold,I still believe it is more important to immediately seat the rings than to worry about some immeasurably small amount of piston wear that may or may not happen.
By the end of the day (and for a long time after that),you'll be able to measure the difference in ring sealing.I doubt that you would measure any difference in wear on any other moving part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think (triumph120rv) is talking about a bunn breather kit?? God more to think about now! If it isn't pinking, blow past, glazing,trash it,take it easy,holed pistons!! Going to bed now, another sleepless night.!!

Buzz

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
I think (triumph120rv) is talking about a bunn breather kit?? God more to think about now! If it isn't pinking, blow past, glazing,trash it,take it easy,holed pistons!! Going to bed now, another sleepless night.!!

Buzz
If it's any consolation Buzz, I haven't slept right since this thread and I haven't even gotten my cylinders back from the machinest yet.:D Mr. Pete has reassured me that I can go ahead and install the reed valve while I wait for my cylinder as it won't affect the break-in. Thanks again Buzz, Mr. Pete, Triumph Rules and others for the info.

Buzz, sounds like your on your way. A few more miles of break-in and you'll be carefree:cool:. I'll be getting my cylinder back by then and trying to find a route in the city where I'm not stuck at a set of lights every 20 seconds trying to put some miles on my break-in :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had to buy brand new barrels ( bores +60 and worn) cost £190,I expected more.got them of lp williams triumphs spares. Lucky only 10 miles from my house. I won't tell you how he told me run my engine in!?!? are spares reasonable in Canada? Try and sleep now! 11.30 now,Don't count sheep, just pistons ,up down,up down,up zzz dowzzzzzzz
Buzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Buzz,

New cylinders for Triumph would be $420.00 CDN plus 15% tax here (they come from England). I'm lucky, I just needed a +40 rebore with my originals (water damage from bike stored improperly for decades--my fault, long story:eek:).

Your break-in sounds like it's going okay though. It will be worth it when you're done. Get some zzz's. You'll feel better when you're on the blacktop during the weekend racking up more miles:cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for your reply triumph rules:)

My limited understanding of using the reed valve is to scavange air in pockets of the engine creating a negative pressure to help counteract oil seepage throughout motor. (see discussion in thread 72 Bonnie-from finding to buying to fixing to riding- page 123 onward) I took that discussion as reed valve creating a vacuum. My understanding could be incorrect.

re: "warmed up is 5 minutes". So how do I ride it for that 5 minute warming up period?

Thanks for your reply.:)

pressure build up from rings leaking pressure into the crancase and pressure build up from the air being compressed in the crankcase as the pistons move down the bores -on older cars they use a vacume point under the carb, or use vacume created from air speed traveling down the ex pipe -known as vac u pan

i couldn't find the thread 72 Bonnie-from finding to buying to fixing to riding from page 120-127

as pete said 'The best way to warm up an engine is always to ride it gently above 2000 rpm'

but the method of ring seal by pete may not be necessary
i'd say it's applying all known ways of bedding rings -but may cause
excessive wear

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Triumph120rv went for ride this evening, put 50 miles on the bores now, will drop oil this weekend and put some fresh mineral oil in and check a few settings etc. Bit of smoke coming new barrels,think it's new paint just curing or cooking!! I do 4-5 miles then let her cool down and just a look over for oil leaks, loose nuts etc ,then repeat process.
I do sleep at night! It's just thinking about all the feed back off people who have a far better mechanical knowledge and experience than me!! It just differs slightly from each member, but there is a theme running, put a bit of load on the rings to push them against the bores. Nobody whants to ruin a motor
Regard buzz

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
It's just thinking about all the feed back off people who have a far better mechanical knowledge and experience than me!! It just differs slightly from each member, but there is a theme running, put a bit of load on the rings to push them against the bores. Nobody whants to ruin a motor
You hit it on the nose Buzz. These guys really know their stuff and you picked out the diamonds to make it all come together for your break-in. If it weren't for some of these same guys last fall my bike would still be under a tarp in the backyard rusting out. Glad to hear you're spinning the odometer:cool:.

While I'm waiting for my rebore I've gotten some other necessary stuff done on the bike (and learned a lot from this thread). Thanks again for letting me hitch along:)

Post some pics if you can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Triumpt120rv.
Will upload some pics, my computer savvy wife said she would do it for me( still waiting!)
Solved a slight worrying problem? After top end rebuild, I had 6 small nuts and washers
Left over on my work bench where the engine parts where laid out in order .checked engine over, could not see where they had come from??? Blamed my mates for leaving the offending articles to wind me up! it worked. Changing my engine oil tonight, saw a small oil leak where the rocker covers joins to the cylinder head? Then i saw six small threaded bolts with no nuts on that hold down the rocker covers!!! Promise you won't tell any body? And say sorry to my mates. You live and learn.

Regards buzz

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Triumpt120rv.
After top end rebuild, I had 6 small nuts and washers
Left over on my work bench where the engine parts where laid out in order .checked engine over, could not see where they had come from??? Blamed my mates for leaving the offending articles to wind me up! it worked. Changing my engine oil tonight, saw a small oil leak where the rocker covers joins to the cylinder head? Then i saw six small threaded bolts with no nuts on that hold down the rocker covers!!!
:eek:

Well sounds like you didn't pop a pushrod and you've retorqued and checked tappets so no harm, no foul;)

I think I might have you beat though. While I'm trying to keep busy while my cylinders are at the machinest I check through Lunmad's vids to see whatever I can tackle. He has a good vid on changing the rocker spindle o-rings. Pretty easy fix. While I was inspecting the rockers this is what I found on my left exhaust exhaust spindle.:eek: (see photo). No thrust washer! I must of overlooked putting the washer back 35 years ago when I stripped my bike to get parts chromed and did the rockers as well. Can only blame myself since that was the only time the spindles were ever taken out. :eek: Remarkably the bike ran well for about ten years (beat my friends 850 Commando in impromtu 1/4 mile races 70% of the time) but I'm pretty sure that missing thrust washer explains the problems I had just before storing the bike (badly) in the mid 80's. Well I replaced the washer and put them in the correct order too. Seems these bikes can take an occasional bumbling mistake:rolleyes:
Keep bedding in those rings.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts