Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a chance to try the heated grips on the T120 this morning.

I'd read here that they work fine, but they are frankly something that I would not have considered adding had they not come as standard equipment.

Anyway, they work great! Heat is obvious and immediate.

I'd read that there was no indication that the grips were on, other than warmth. Instead, when you touch the button on the left grip, the screen on the speedometer blanks except for the the gear position indicator and the word OFF. Another touch gets you LOW heat, another, HIGH, and then off again. (High heat is really high, and it was both uncomfortable and unneeded in this morning's mild temperatures.)

The grip annunciation reverts back to whatever you were displaying before after just a few seconds. Another button touch displays the grip's current setting without changing it. Very slick!

The heated grips are black and are a bit larger in diameter than the unheated grips installed OEM on the water cooled Thruxtons. The shape and size of the heated grips seem just about perfect for my hands. They are cylindrical, not barrel shaped.

I highly recommend the installation of the heated grip kit if your water cooled bike came without them. They're really a worthy addition!

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,097 Posts
Great review! I like that they have a slightly larger diameter... Would you happen to have an opinion on how much softer, or firmer they are than, say a stock Thruxton R? Thruxton guys naturally have have a little more wrist & palm weight on the grips due to the more aggressive ergonomics... And at $270 (USD), that's a big nut to crack just to try them out. Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've never had them before, thought they were a wank, however I have changed my mind. They do wonders for the arthritic wrists and i have them on most of the time . We are in our winter down here I might also add.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've been spoiled for heated grips so it was the first thing I ordered for my Thruxton. Impatiently waiting...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've felt the thruxtons grips and noted they felt soft compared to the t120s heated grips, also they are noticeably thicker but they are plenty comfortable.
I can see how the thinner softer grips on the thruxtons suit a more aggressive riding session.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only reason I can think of for larger diameter of the heated grips is so that there's room for the heating elements, and so that they can warm more of the hand.

The heated grips are about the same diameter as the stock grips on my T100, which I've gotten used to find to be about right.

It is nice to have an electrical system with enough capacity to run extras like this. On my T100, you basically can't add anything that will increase the electrical draw, even a higher wattage headlamp bulb.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just had the heated grips installed on my standard Thruxton - I was spoiled by previous BMW's. They work great and I don't notice any change in grip diameter - but it may be there, just not noticeable to me. Note that the heated grips for the standard Thrux will not fit the 'R'.

Next will be the Euro headlight switch (on order) - to allow use of the LED running lights. Shame we in the US are not considered 'bright enough' (pun intended) to know how to use a headlight....

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,097 Posts
Just had the heated grips installed on my standard Thruxton - I was spoiled by previous BMW's. They work great and I don't notice any change in grip diameter - but it may be there, just not noticeable to me. Note that the heated grips for the standard Thrux will not fit the 'R'.

Next will be the Euro headlight switch (on order) - to allow use of the LED running lights. Shame we in the US are not considered 'bright enough' (pun intended) to know how to use a headlight....
Please keep those of us that are too cheap to order the switch without knowing first, how it turns out!

·
Registered
815 Posts

Why don't they fit the R?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
When the weather was a bit cooler I used the heated grips on my T120, they seem nice, but even on low they seem a bit hot and maybe (for me) close to uncomfortable on high. But the low is better than not having them...with today's temps in the low 90's I don't expect I'll be using the heated grips again until fall.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Please keep those of us that are too cheap to order the switch without knowing first, how it turns out!
Received email from the vender that "due to high demand the switch is on back order from the manufacturer" - so, it may be awhile.

Still waiting for my green seat cowl which I ordered through my dealer a month ago ..... sigh.

Yes, the 'R' has a few differences in the handlebar components, the levers are not interchangeable either, and the 'mode' selector button is on the left grip and is a small button, whereas on the standard Thruxton, it is on the right grip and is a larger, toggle type button. Different master cylinders too ....

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can't seem to get the heated grips on my T120 to turn on. I tried pressing quick, long, etc. nothing.

I press the button on the left grip but zero indication on either display and nothing felt in the grips.

Am I missing some thing? It's my understanding all T120s came with heated grips right?

Let me know if I'm missing a step. Strange enough there's zero mention of heated grips in the owner's manual which seems really strange.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
What makes you think that ANYONE at the US DOT is "bright"? :confused:

BTW, until relatively recently, the US DOT had a few lighting regs on the books dating to 1926... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can't seem to get the heated grips on my T120 to turn on. I tried pressing quick, long, etc. nothing.

I press the button on the left grip but zero indication on either display and nothing felt in the grips.

Am I missing some thing? It's my understanding all T120s came with heated grips right?

Let me know if I'm missing a step. Strange enough there's zero mention of heated grips in the owner's manual which seems really strange.
Sounds like you need a trip to the dealer for some warranty work!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Follow up,

I went to the dealer and "sho 'nuff" my heated grips work. It turns out they require a butt load of force to get the button to activate and I just wasn't jamming my thumb down hard enough. I'm not sure if they are all like but, man..... with gloves on it's very difficult to get the button to active and takes a very concentrated effort.

Are your's like that?

While it's nice the display comes up and says Lo, Hi, or OFF, but it would be nice if there was something that stayed on while they were active. Does anybody know if they remain in the last setting after the key is cycled?

The overall way the heated grips work on my Guzzi Stelvio is better.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Mine take virtually no effort at all to switch modes. They turn off & reset to off every time the bike is turned off....battery saver.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Follow up,

I went to the dealer and "sho 'nuff" my heated grips work. It turns out they require a butt load of force to get the button to activate and I just wasn't jamming my thumb down hard enough. I'm not sure if they are all like but, man..... with gloves on it's very difficult to get the button to active and takes a very concentrated effort.

Are your's like that?

While it's nice the display comes up and says Lo, Hi, or OFF, but it would be nice if there was something that stayed on while they were active. Does anybody know if they remain in the last setting after the key is cycled?

The overall way the heated grips work on my Guzzi Stelvio is better.
They revert to the off position when the ignition is cycled. I thought they were a bit superfluous until I rode in a major storm a few weeks back , and now glad to have them. Nice at 05:00 on a Perth winter morning.

And yes,my only beef is that that little button is difficult to find with thick gloves and in bad light while it's pissing down. Should have practised before I really needed it , but got it now.:laugh2:
Maybe they'll make the button just a tad more tactile on later versions?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do you think Triumph will ever offer it's replacement Barrel Grip with a heat option? I don't like the idea of switching grips every winter and having to revert to the more uncomfortable narrow grip just to have the (much desired) heat option. Do you think there will be third-party heated grip options available at some point in the distant future?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts