Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the T120 for two weeks now and have just over 400 miles on the odometer.

What a GREAT bike! It does everything very well. I'm especially impressed with its multifaceted personality. If you want effortless cruising in any gear, this is your bike. If you decide to flog a canyon, this is your bike. If you want straight-line performance that'll have you flapping from the handlebars, then this is your bike.

I've been unable to find any downside at all. The T120 is so much more capable and refined than my T100 that I can't believe the two bikes were made by the same manufacturer!

Little operating tip: if you want to change riding modes while moving, just close the throttle, pull in the clutch lever, and then press-hold-release the mode button. The mode change is almost instantaneous.

I'm impressed with the stock suspension and will be waiting until the bike is thoroughly broken in at 5,000 miles or so before I make any decisions about upgrades.

If you've been thinking about getting a T120 but have not yet pulled the trigger, I'd only say that you can't go wrong with this bike!

I will pass along one bit of sage advice that I heard from a Thruxton R owner just today: If you really want a T120, don't test ride the Thruxton R!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I was going to warn you about the Thruxton R. My friend purchased an almost new T100 (90 miles, nubs still on tires) which I found in the local ads last winter.
He is just now starting to get some real mileage on it and is thrilled to bits with it. He has owned many other bikes from Vincents to BMWs and big Yamahas.
He wants me to try out the T100.
I might leave the R at home and bring my 63 BSA Super Rocket along. That way when we switch bikes he will remain enamored of the T100, or TT100 as he calls it (Thruxton pipes)

Glen

·
Registered
311 Posts
Iwill pass along one bit of sage advice that I heard from a Thruxton R owner just today: If you really want a T120, don't test ride the Thruxton R!
I have heard that a lot, and don't understand it at all. They are completely different bikes. For me there is only one decision to make; Where do you want to put your feet? None of the other differences between the two bikes are as important as the footpeg position.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
I tested both the Thruxton R and the T-120 and went with the T120. 2575 miles in and I'm still happy with my choice. I'm a one bike guy and I wanted something that would bring a smile to my face and be easy to live with day in and day out. I found the Thruxton's riding position, while not the most aggressive in the category was more than I was comfortable with for the long run.

Don't get me wrong, if my budget allowed, I'd own both. But really, there just is no comparison between these two. They're that different to me.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
None of those things matter to me until I have decided whether I want a cruiser or sportsbike. Which is pretty much what deciding between a T120 and a Thrux is like.
I actually want something in between, which is why I will probably go with the ST. It is a little more aggressive than the T120 but still a Bonneville essentially and more relaxed than the Thruxton. Of course, I guess one could change up the T120 with slightly different bars and rear sets. My feet have to be at least a little bit behind or under me. The T100 feels weird to me coming from sport bikes mainly.

Of course, I will not know for sure until I get to test out all three, which is hard to do around here...no one has any of the new line in stock. :(

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
None of those things matter to me until I have decided whether I want a cruiser or sportsbike. Which is pretty much what deciding between a T120 and a Thrux is like.
Everyone has a different take on it. A Harley owner recently gave me some buying advice that he says is beyond question- "Never buy a bike that has footpegs, always buy a bike that has floorboards"

I have a number of bikes, all quite different. It makes things interesting.

I've found that my old body will conform to a number of different footpeg positions and also different handlebar/clip on positions.
Oddly enough, with a crappy back ( ruptured disc at age 29) the best for me is the upright semi- fetal position like the Thruxton R or Daytona 955i .

The sit up position like the T120 is also fine, just not for quite as many miles per day. So I could add a T120 to the line up some day and be quite happy on it.
But the R would see more use.

Glen

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Everyone has a different take on it. A Harley owner recently gave me some buying advice that he says is beyond question- "Never buy a bike that has footpegs, always buy a bike that has floorboards"

Glen
Odd advice that, my last three bikes had footboards, Thunderbird 1600, Rocket Classic, Rocket Touring.

All made my arse ache after about 60 miles.

T120, two Saturday rides, 150 miles and yesterday 80 miles, no arse ache.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I actually want something in between, which is why I will probably go with the ST. It is a little more aggressive than the T120 but still a Bonneville essentially and more relaxed than the Thruxton. Of course, I guess one could change up the T120 with slightly different bars and rear sets. My feet have to be at least a little bit behind or under me. The T100 feels weird to me coming from sport bikes mainly.

Of course, I will not know for sure until I get to test out all three, which is hard to do around here...no one has any of the new line in stock. :(
Yeah I can understand that. The difference between the ST and the other two bikes is not as extreme as the difference between the R and the T120. Then power and handling etc comes into play.

I rode all 3, all great in their own way. Like you I have to have my feet under or behind me so the T120 was a very short test ride, but I am sure it is great if you are more into the cruiser position. In a lot of ways the ST is the best of the bunch when you factor in the price, but for a twisties freak like me the R is a joy.

·
Registered
311 Posts

I have a number of bikes, all quite different. It makes things interesting.

I've found that my old body will conform to a number of different footpeg positions and also different handlebar/clip on positions.
Oddly enough, with a crappy back ( ruptured disc at age 29) the best for me is the upright semi- fetal position like the Thruxton R or Daytona 955i .

The sit up position like the T120 is also fine, just not for quite as many miles per day. So I could add a T120 to the line up some day and be quite happy on it.
But the R would see more use.

Glen
Yes if I had several bikes then both the R and the T120 might be amongst them. Unfortunately I can only justify one so right now I wanted a sporty but not extreme riding position for mainly short rides. Having looked at the contenders the Thrux seduced me with those darn looks.

I also find it very comfortable in the seat, more so than some tourers I have had. After 300 mile days my knees ache but that is because I am old.

·
Registered
201 Posts
They gave me a speed triple r when I put my t120 in for its first service
Had a blast on that, I can imagine the thruxton r being similar
But when I got back on my t120 I was truly happy
It's a great bike and a really nice place to enjoy being on two wheels

·
Registered
334 Posts
OK - I'm a week or two away from pulling the trigger (need to sell w650 to make room).

I'll wait to decide on changes to the suspension, but very interested in the Vance and Hines, or Staintune exhaust.
Also, I've taken off the evap canister on all my bikes, but I'm not sure about the T120.
Also, the front rotors look cool, but I don't think they look as retro as the rest of the T120 - just my thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
T120 owner reporting in! It is a joy to ride and like you said, does a lot of things well. I came from a Yamaha FZ8 (great bike too). My girlfriend started to ride with me and really enjoyed it. So I needed something a bit more comfortable for 2 people (and solo) since I plan to do a lot more light touring (2-6 hour trips or more). This bike also needed to be fun and aggressive enough to enjoy solo. And so I landed on the T120.

So far I am happy and greatly enjoying the bike. A bit of culture shock at first (I have only been riding for 4 years) going from my inline 4 FZ8 to the British twin, however, the more I learn the bike the more I am enjoying it.

I just did a ~4 hour round trip today to 7 Lakes Dr/top of Bear Mountain and back home using 202. Both of our butts were feeling it towards the end of the ride, but I have the comfort seat already otw. Hoping it is a significant upgrade over stock. Not that stock is really that bad, and is an improvement over previous years. Overall, comfortable ride and does anything you want it to. Comfortably cruising and/or enjoying some spirited riding on pretty and windy roads, this more than beautiful bike will be more than happy to oblige.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another t120 owner here. Just hit 500 miles on mine and all I can say it's been the best 500 miles ever.

The bike has definitely a cruiser type of feeling. More upright position as well as foot peg position, therefore extremely comfortable.

If you are looking to do canyon carving and tight corners, you will experience the footpegs hitting the concrete. Happens to me all the time and now have to be very conscious of it.

Having said that, with some modifications (clip on bars & rearsets) you would be able to turn that cruiser into a similar aggressive riding position as the Thruxton. With the Thruxton, I would imagine, it would be a bit more difficult to turn it into a cruiser/standard should you choose to do so at some point.

Hope this helps and if not....you can't go wrong with either of these bikes :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another T120 owner here.

I was smitten by the looks of the new Triumphs as soon as I saw the advance publicity shots and particularly the 1200’s. I pre-ordered the T120 but whilst waiting for that I did try out the Thruxton, cracking bike but I couldn’t stand the riding position for more than an hour.

The T120 though is just sooo right for comfort and I’m even finding the stock seat to be ok (so far) - and that’s a first for me - but the acid test will be when SWMBO gets on the back...

R

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
You buy a Bonneville because it is a Bonneville not because it is particularily fast. These are unique machines but can be easily outrun by a simple 600 sports bike. People who buy these should be happy because for the money they could have had a plethora of others. Triumph has out done themselves again. Brilliant and beautiful machines. There is definately pride in ownership here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My T-120 is an awesome bike, but it really excels as a second bike. My Street Triple R is my daily ride because it combines speed, flickability, and style. My T-120 is for when I want to look good and have a relaxing ride. It's really nice to have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My T-120 is an awesome bike, but it really excels as a second bike. .
For me, my T120 is also my Second Bike. The primary bike is a 2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer with Jesse luggage and a few Touratech farkles. This is the Go To bike for touring and commuting (especially when it's cold and wet, which, if living in Seattle, is often).

But when it comes right down to it, saying my Bonneville is a second bike is like saying my youngest son is my second son. Both are equally loved and equally important (both sons and bikes). The riding I do on the T120 is different than the riding I do on the TEX. And while I meticulously maintain the TEX, it often gets put away wet and dirty, while the T120 gets a thorough wipe-down, a lick of polish and a chain lube every time I roll it back into the barn.

I guess you could equate it to having a Sport Utility Vehicle for every day transport, running errands, taking road trips and such while also having a classic sports car for Saturday Night Burnouts, Sunday Morning Coffee, and "working out in the garage."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts