Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my highly modified T120 (fender eliminated, supersprox rear sprocket, TEC front springs, Fox rear shocks, BC predator pros) down some dirt roads and really enjoyed it. I am looking at recommendations for a dual purpose tire for basic off road stuff like fire roads, light sand, nothing too technical. I need them to work well on the pavement too, because it takes me over an hour just to get where I can hit the dirt and the roads can be wet. I noticed nothing really comes in the 100/90-18 my front tire is, but a lot come in the 19” diameter. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You are right, the choice of off-road capable tires for the T120 is quite limited. With the front you will probably have to go with a similar but not exact size.
I have a Shinko 244 on the front and Shinko 705 on the rear. The rear is wearing out rather quickly and I am not sure yet if I would buy another. Some people use Kenda K761's and others use Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's. Heidenau makes a rear tire, but I was unable to find the front tire size available anywhere.
Do a search in this forum on "Adventure tires" or "dual sport tires" and you find several discussions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at the K60 but have heard it isn’t that great on the road, especially if it is wet out. What are your opinions on that? I have never swapped tires away from the stock size, so not sure how you go to a different size on the same wheel. I suppose a call to a cycle tire dealer is in order.

·
Banned
12,788 Posts
I've put a lot of miles on the K60 Scouts with a AC spoked-wheel bike. They last forever. The rear squares off kinda quickly, but not to any detrimental effect in the corners. I'm not test rider nor a track rider, but I take the corners harder than some. I have no problems with the handling of the K60.

Running over-sized tires definitely feels different, really changes the feeling turning into a corner. Not sure it is better or worse, just different and you adjust to it quickly.

Let's get to what is important: they look cool as hell :)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I rode from Prescott to LA last year in on of the worst rain storms and had no problems. The tires stick great and they don’t wander on the groved roads in California.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been looking for several days and definitely cannot find one in the 18 inch. I may end up going with the Shinko 705, that’s about all I can locate

·
Banned
12,788 Posts
I've run a lot of Shinko 705's too. My beef with them is just that they don't last as long as the Heidenaus. But I was out in the Black Hills last summer on some 705s with a pretty worn rear tire. The trip was a last minute decision, or I would have likely swapped it out before leaving. I looked into replacing it while out there, but the dealership didn't have a good replacement in stock. So I went for it and wore the sucker down.

As it ended up, I got nearly 6,000 out of the rear. Not all that bad, about what I get out of an Avon Roadrider. That last bit of tire, after it had squared off, lasted longer than I expected.

I can get 9-10 thousand off a Heidenau rear.

Shinko's aren't a bad choice at all. I like them a lot, just don't last as long.

I have a 19" front, so I can find both. Bummer the Scouts are hard to find in an 18.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I put a Shinko 244 4.10 x 18 on the front of my Triumph, it fits just fine. So I would guess the 705 in the same size would fit just as well. I put a 705 1.40/80-17 on the rear. To be honest, I like the 244 better than the 705. The 705 has 4k miles and is close to needing replaced. Maybe another 1k miles.
The 244 works just as good on the road, much better off road, and seems to be wearing better compared to the 705. As of now I am planning on buying a 5.10 x 17 Shinko 244 for the rear to replace the 705.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Reviving this old thread since i just put 705s on my 18 t120. Any thoughts on how they handle interstate? Didn't feel quite as steady as I'd like when i got up around 90 mph
Edit: for anyone that looks this way in the future it seems my front tire rubbed the fender all the way home and the stability issue is not due to the tires.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts