Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to decat my 2018 T120 this winter and was wondering which decat I should go with. I see a lot of folks saying Meerkat, but the lack of any sort of mounting is non-existant whereas other x-pipes have a means of mounting them on the bike. I don't want to use something that could potentially cause problems down the road.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Might I suggest using the search function on the site? There are endless discussions on this topic. Meerkat appears to be the crowd favorite (and the one I chose) due to it being of the utmost quality and the fact that mounting brackets seem to be superfluous. There are differing opinions on this, however.

·
Registered
152 Posts
People are so friendly around here... :laugh2:
I'm currently getting the British Customs one installed at the dealer on my Street Cup.
https://britishcustoms.com/collections/street-cup/products/x-pipe-competition-header

I'm looking to decat my 2018 T120 this winter and was wondering which decat I should go with. I see a lot of folks saying Meerkat, but the lack of any sort of mounting is non-existant whereas other x-pipes have a means of mounting them on the bike. I don't want to use something that could potentially cause problems down the road.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went with the “lite” version of the motone x-pipe. Which, like the meerkat, has no
Mounting hardware.

I have it installed without the heat shield and haven’t had any problems.

I think due to it being significantly lighter than the cat, and due to it not restricting air and thus generating less heat, the mounting hardware and heat shield are unnecessary. The mounting hardware of the headers, slip ons, intermediate pipes are enough to hold it in place.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
RIP no worries on the Meerkat, I've had mine on for over a year and a half and under some severe riding conditions.

Once you see it and mount it you'll have no worries. I'm all over my bike at least weekly checking everything and have not seen it budge.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Thoughts?
I've got a brand new TEC x-pipe (and a booster plug too) sitting at home if you're interested. Plans changed.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I put a Meerkat on my 2018 T120 about a month ago.
I removed the heat shield.
The set up is solid as is, with no extra brackets or clamps.
It ain't goin' nowhere.

Did not require any electronic tuning.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Can I get some measurements of the meerkat? I'd like to get it made in house.
Let me see if I understand what your asking. You want someone who bought a Meerkat x pipe from a great supplier to feed you the information from Meerkat's hard labor so you can make one and on the cheap?

Uh no but he// no! That's not right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, technically it is not hell no not right kind. I just wish to save time on removing the original cat and measuring the inlet and outlet. The rest is pretty self explanatory. But hey, I get the sarcasm. No worries.

Maybe I'll just make a few and supply them locally to save the costs of high import duty as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thoughts?
I put on a Motone X pipe 2 days ago, its really well made polished inside and out. My initial take away is, not much louder, it seams to have gotten rid of the low speed jitters, and the top speed plus 6mph. Time 3hrs (with good tools)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I put on a Motone X pipe 2 days ago, its really well made polished inside and out. My initial take away is, not much louder, it seams to have gotten rid of the low speed jitters, and the top speed plus 6mph. Time 3hrs (with good tools)
Are you saying you checked your top speed and you and it increased by 6 mph but just changing to an x pipe?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you saying you checked your top speed and you and it increased by 6 mph but just changing to an x pipe?
Yes, kind of scientifically, and it reached it slightly faster. None of this was greatly noticeable.
The one thing that is is the deeper sound.
I'll report later on mpg, this I'm thinking will increase as well.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
they are all pretty similar so if the former owner had not already installed one on my preowned 18 T120 i would have went with the cheapest, the Tec + i cant tell whats on it but it along with whatever silencers are on it looks + sounds great to me!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well,
a) it's a lardy bike to start with, so the performance value added for every dollar you spend on gradually 'better' decat pipe is going to diminish significantly with every dollar you spend over the cheapest decat on the market.
2) The decat pipe is buried down pretty low and pretty well out of sight most of the time, so cosmetic value added for every dollar you spend on gradually 'better' decat pipe is going to diminish significantly with every dollar you spend over the cheapest decat on the market.
3) With respectable horsepower and torque levels for this type of bike, fact is the engine isn't tuned in the hunt for every horsepower, so once again, every dollar you spend on gradually 'better' decat pipe with better flow etc is going to diminish significantly with every dollar you spend over the cheapest decat on the market.
4) It's two pieces of steel tube bent, cut and welded together with a couple of brackets and studs tacked on. There isn't that much that the manufacturer can get wrong, most backstreet cottage industries could do a decent job of this part, plus even if the tolerances are off a few mm, the pipe will still be the perfect diameter, and the rest of the stock exhaust has by design, plenty tolerance to accommodate vibration or intolerance in the exhaust components - the cheapest decat is likely to still be made to fit adequately.

So basically, I'd just buy whomever is selling the cheapest in a stainless steel with a returns warranty if for some reason the welder has a really bad day and it doesn't fit or if it tarnishes uncharacteristically for stainless steel. I bought the cheapest one off ebay and it's great, no issues thus far.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
4) It's two pieces of steel tube bent, cut and welded together with a couple of brackets and studs tacked on. There isn't that much that the manufacturer can get wrong, most backstreet cottage industries could do a decent job of this part, plus even if the tolerances are off a few mm, the pipe will still be the perfect diameter, and the rest of the stock exhaust has by design, plenty tolerance to accommodate vibration or intolerance in the exhaust components - the cheapest decat is likely to still be made to fit adequately.

So basically, I'd just buy whomever is selling the cheapest in a stainless steel with a returns warranty if for some reason the welder has a really bad day and it doesn't fit or if it tarnishes uncharacteristically for stainless steel. I bought the cheapest one off ebay and it's great, no issues thus far.
There's more to it than that. Early on, there were reports of some Motone X-pipes that couldn't be installed at all. They just didn't fit. In the case of one of the more popular options, TEC, all of the cat's original tabs, brackets, and fittings are duplicated. If any of these had been off by even a little, fitting could have become impossible. Installing the TEC X-pipe was not difficult, but it did require thinking the job through and exercising care.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts