Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The cruise control kit for my T120 arrived just today. It's pictured below.

The kit replaces the entire left switch housing, including the clutch lever. Installation should be straight forward since there are just three plugs and a few bolts. No instructions are included but are available on line. I'll install it this week and then take the bike to the dealer for a re-flash next Saturday.

Cost was US $375, plus $7 shipping.

I wish that Triumph had taken the opportunity to redesign the slightly stiff, clunky action of the turn signal button, but it appears to be unchanged.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's great that they're finally arriving.. But.. At the end of the day it's just a button and they could have easily supplied it with the bike as standard seeing as they already have the lights on the dash and just need a bit of software for it to work
Just a bit annoying the amount of money they're making for a simple component!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So psyched to get mine now. Will be interested to hear how much of a pain it is to get the handgrips off/on, or if it's smooth.
I'll let you know!

The new left switch housing and clutch/mirror mount is in halves, which are installed around the bar and then bolted together. It looks like there's no need to remove the left heated grip during installation of the CC kit. The grip has its own plug, which you just unplug from the original housing after the bolts are removed and plug into the new one.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did it go? :)
The kit is an easy installation for anyone with basic skills and confidence with tools.

Cruise control is a nice addition to the bike. Triumph's is simple to use, unobtrusive, and intuitive. I never had CC on a motorcycle before, and I find myself using it more often than I thought I would.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The kit is an easy installation for anyone with basic skills and confidence with tools.

Cruise control is a nice addition to the bike. Triumph's is simple to use, unobtrusive, and intuitive. I never had CC on a motorcycle before, and I find myself using it more often than I thought I would.

Did you do any video on the installation? it might help folks like me who are new to tools

·
Registered
233 Posts

Sorry, no, didn't think to make a video.

no problem

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Did your local dealer charge you a lot to do the software/ecu update?
Long story, but there was a five month delay between installation and successful activation. I think my dealer comped the activation since she was so happy to get me out of her hair. You will not have the problems I did so your experience WILL vary. :)

Activation and the ECU update take just a few minutes once your bike is connected to Triumph's computer maintenance system. It seems that all dealers are charging 1-2 hours to install the kit, but don't charge additional for activation. It can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had CC installed on my T120 yesterday. The dealer charged me 2 hrs but it took them longer than that. I had them do the fuel pump harness and the heated grip recalls while the bike was there and they started at 10:00 and they had it on the bench for 4 1/2 hours total but I don't know how long the recalls took. They said there was quite bit to adding the cruise. Mine was an early VIN (picked it up in April last year). They told me the MAP in my bike didn't have an option for Cruise Control so they had to install an entirely new MAP and then program the cruise control that was included in the new map. I honestly don't understand all the "maps" and "flash" lingo, they just told me there was a lot to it.

Now, I wish I could tell you how it works! I got the bike home (on a trailer) late last night and we just had a good thunderstorm roll through so if I don't get to try it later today, tomorrow is supposed to be nice.

Somewhere on this thread I thought someone posted how the cruise actually operates. The tech just told me you have to be in 3rd gear or higher and push the button on the left housing and the cruise is set. Apply either brake or pull the clutch to disengage. I take it there is no resume feature, or bumping up or down to increase or decrease a prior set point. I'm OK with that, I'm just anxious to try it out. I have a 2015 Tiger XRx and the cruise on that is pretty sophisticated with similar operation to a car's cruise control. I don't know why Triumph couldn't just duplicate that cruise on the Bonneville.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Press the button once to turn the system on, and again to engage it. Have to be in 3rd gear or higher and at any speed between 19-99 MPH to engage. To disengage, activate either brake, the clutch, or close the throttle a little farther. You can also cancel by opening the throttle to where it would be for your current speed.

You're right, there's no resume or incremental speed increase. The system is marvelously precise, however, and will maintain speed within one MPH, including going up and down hills.

I'm not even going into the bunch of hokum your dealer laid on you. Every US spec T120 ever sold is compatible with the current non-DRL, high-VIN CC kit, if you can find one. All that is required is installation and activation. Maybe you already have the latest tune, maybe you don't, but it's done at the same time.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
My dealer charged me 1 hr to install including the ECU program. If I were to do it over again, I would install it myself, since I found all the Triumph installation instructions on-line!

BTW, I agree 100% on your comment about the turn signal lever. In particular, I have a very difficult time cancelling the signal - it's very hard to push in the lever.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My problem is that I need the DRL version even though I live in the USA. By some crazy stroke of luck or un-luck depending on how you look at it I have a DRL version sold in the US.........Lol

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T120 Black
386 Posts
The cruise control kit for my T120 arrived just today. It's pictured below.

The kit replaces the entire left switch housing, including the clutch lever. Installation should be straight forward since there are just three plugs and a few bolts. No instructions are included but are available on line. I'll install it this week and then take the bike to the dealer for a re-flash next Saturday.
Are there only two plugs on the non-cruise-control switchgear, and the third plug just on the cruise control switchgear?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are there only two plugs on the non-cruise-control switchgear, and the third plug just on the cruise control switchgear?
I don't remember. Here's the Triumph accessory fitting instructions, though. Just type in the part number of your kit and choose your language:

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T120 Black
386 Posts
I don't remember. Here's the Triumph accessory fitting instructions, though. Just type in the part number of your kit and choose your language:

Thanks, I wanted to find out about connectors so I can save £300 by wiring in a momentary action pushbutton rather than buying a new switch cluster. Time to open up the headlight...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks, I wanted to find out about connectors so I can save £300 by wiring in a momentary action pushbutton rather than buying a new switch cluster. Time to open up the headlight...
There's a wiring bundle that runs from the left switch plate to the headlight housing. I noticed while installing my cruise control kit that the connector within the headlight shell had just one new wire and pin, undoubtedly for the added cruise switch. There's more to it than that, evidenced by the included entire new clutch housing and lever assembly that is part of the kit.

You are not the first to ask. Hope that works. No one here has reported being able to install a simple switch and then activate the cruise system.

It's been reported that Tune ECU will allow access to the cruise function menu, but no one's reported success so far.

Most of the cruise control is built into your bike by the factory, and the whole bike is built around the ECU, which controls all cruise functions. One thing almost impossible for an individual to do is to activate the system. During activation, Triumph's maintenance computer asks for the bikes VIN to be entered, and then runs a series of checks of all cruise functions, including each of the five actions that disconnect cruise. It also checks for the presence of all system components, including those in the kit.

Triumph's kits replace the brake lever housing, and some kits replace only the left switch housing and switch plate, depending on model and VIN. There are parts within those components that your bike does not presently have, beyond just the on/activate switch.

There's an aftermarket cruise control made, but it does not use Triumph's embedded circuitry or the ECU. Its switch plate is butt ugly, and the system costs just as much or more than Triumph's. For a Thrux, say, it is probably the only option for cruise control.

For me the best option was to buy Triumph's cruise control kit, request that activation be included at no additional charge, and install the kit myself. It was easy to do, and was two hours enjoyably spent.

Edit: I found out the hard way that Triumph's "long" clutch and brake lever replacement kit is not compatible with installed and activated cruise control. I had to reinstall the original levers, and then my dealer and Triumph would not allow the return of the $200 lever kit. I'm stuck with it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts