Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to adjust the rear brake pedal on my T120 so that its a bit more horizontal. It looks like a simple double nut adjustment arrangement. Is that correct? Will I need to remove the sprocket cover to do the job? Any other considerations?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I suspect the layout is similar to the older twins. Behind that cover is a threaded pushrod operating the master cylinder. The adjustment provided is not really for pedal height, it's to adjust the correct length of the pushrod, this is given in the service manual, example 82mm for the old Thruxton.

Get it wrong and a locked rear brake is a real possibility.

If you must mess with it take an accurate measurement of the distance between the centre of the lower master cylinder mounting bolt and the centre of the clevis pin and make a note of it so that you can always go back to original setting.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forchetto,

As always, thanks!

The arrangement looks to be the clevis/push rod set-up you describe.

I dimly remember successfully making this same adjustment when my T100 was new. IIRC, the key was to adjust only the clevis, without moving the push rod in relation to the master cylinder. Looks like the sprocket cover is going to have to come off to get a 12mm wrench on the nut at the top of the clevis.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the sprocket cover on my T120 and was overwhelmed with the mass of electronic components that was revealed, probably having to to with anti-lock braking and traction control. I reinstalled the cover and crossed myself. I'll just live with the slightly odd brake pedal angle. There's just no way that I'm going to try to adjust ANYTHING under there without a manual!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I pulled the sprocket cover on my T120 and was overwhelmed with the mass of electronic components that was revealed, probably having to to with anti-lock braking and traction control. I reinstalled the cover and crossed myself. I'll just live with the slightly odd brake pedal angle. There's just no way that I'm going to try to adjust ANYTHING under there without a manual!
Yep, I went the same route and came to the same conclusion. It's not optimal but I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's not difficult to do, but it is fiddly. It took me a lot longer than I thought it would to do it, however it is worth the effort. If you just study it for a while the steps become obvious. Good luck....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts