Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the gearbox out on my 1974 T100R. I'm replacing the kickstarter pawl. There aren't any gaskets on the mating surfaces of the inner and outer gearbox. What should I use to seal those joints? "Jointing compound"

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Hi MLW9110, I assembled gear box & used Loctite 518. It was very easy to use & allows easy removal of covers later. Will not leak. The 518 has pretty much become my sealant of choice for metal to metal surfaces. Easy to separate later is something to think about as you will probably be the one that will do any future repairs.

So you have 2 choices of sealants that work good. Lots of others work too.

Don

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Hi MLW9110, I assembled gear box & used Loctite 518.
Don
Just to add a further degree of confusion for MLW**** , I use Loctite 515 Don. Not sure what the distinction is between the two, but we agree that Loctite is the sealant of choice. :wink2: RR

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I use Loctite 515 Don. Not sure what the distinction is between the two, but we agree that Loctite is the sealant of choice. RR"

A quick Google search yielded this from Loctite.au
"A: These are both anaerobic flange sealants designed for rigid machined flanges. They are similar products with one of the key differences being that LOCTITE 518 is a better product for use on aluminium flanges. Thus, LOCTITE 518 probably can replace LOCTITE 515 for most applications."

I'm going to go with the 518.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used the Permatex version, #51813. I like it. I did have to remove the gearbox outer cover after installation. It hadn't been on very long but the sealant had begun to cure at the mating surfaces but the amount that squeezed out did not cure. Very easy to clean up. I put a thin coat on the primary cover gasket too, both sides. No leaks.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Hi MLW9110, Looking at spec sheet the Permatex is rather similar to 518. Looks like disassembly of Permatex is harder than 518 according to Permatex spec sheet. But in real life I don't know. Anyway good you got it going with no leaks.
Don

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
i've got cases sealed with hylomar and a gearbox sealed with 518.

we'll see which develops incontinence first.

the 518-sealed gearbox on my race bike started piddling the second day. i can't really blame it, as the inner cover surfaces are a bit dinged. i may try out a gasket there, but i don't care for the extra play in the layshaft. we'll see whether it works.

not a stinking drop of engine oil from the crankcases, sealed with hylomar. in fairness, the hylomar wasn't any good on the inner cover either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.