Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Trophy a while back and am in the process of sorting it out.
It is mostly original and a two owner bike, with 9500 miles when I bought it. I rode it for a few months and determined it not to have any major problems.

That brings me back to my questions
Do you think it is wise to clean out the steel rocker oil feed pipe?
If I do so is there any thing to be aware of?
Or should I just leave will enough alone?

Thank you,
Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

K
Thanx for your opinion! I'm consider doing just that!

However, I am looking forward(not) to a long and wet winter here in Orygun and will spend a lot of time tinkering in the garage with the old Trumpet.

I think that maybe cleaning the rocker oil feed pipe might be an easy way, perhaps, to improve upper lubrication.

I actually have never heard of doing this.

Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
If you have a tobaconist nearby, buy a pack of pipe cleaners.
These are good for clearing small oilways.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If you have a tobaconist nearby, buy a pack of pipe cleaners.
These are good for clearing small oilways.
Do not introduce anything with fine fibres into your engine. That’s the sort of thing that gets under the oil pump ball valves.

The whole idea of cleaning the top end oil feed is pointless. It’s not going to improve anything.

·
6,311 Posts
Hi Steve,

Do you think it is wise to clean out the steel rocker oil feed pipe?
No.

Or should I just leave will enough alone?
Yes.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
:agree

Do not introduce anything with fine fibres into your engine. That’s the sort of thing that gets under the oil pump ball valves.
:agree In the 500's rocker oil feed, the smallest diameter cross-section is in the rocker-box between the banjo bolt and the rocker shaft. The steel rocker oil feed pipe is relatively much larger. Any fine fibres remaining in the steel rocker oil feed pipe after "cleaning" are most likely to block a rocker-box shaft feed.

think that maybe cleaning the rocker oil feed pipe might be an easy way, perhaps, to improve upper lubrication.
It won't. Unless, perhaps, the steel rocker oil feed pipe is so badly corroded you should really buy a new one. If the steel rocker oil feed pipe isn't badly-corroded outside, it isn't likely to be badly-corroded inside.

Thank you,
Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Well if you insist on doing it I would get some aerosol brake or carburetor cleaner and flush the line with that. Then I would blow the line out using compressed air and a rubber tipped blow gun. And since I am anal I would preload the line with oil prior to the reinstallation.

K

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that settles it. The consensus is let it alone, and I will.
As I mentioned I'm in the process of sorting out this bike, and trying not to do more harm then good! This site has been priceless in helping me out. Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts