Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 T100 is running on the steel wheels and Lasertecs that it was born with. As part of its evolution, I am fitting it with alloy rims laced to Talon hubs front and back. I've reviewed tyre choices but ask if anyone has taken an opportunity to change rim widths (and or diameters) and to what effect, with what rubber.

The wheel change is because my 'bikes have generally worn alloys but I am also looking for a bit lighter handling. Why a Bonnie and not a Thruxton, in the first place? Because I promised myself that one day I would have a Triumph and make it do what I wanted it to do. The Thruxton was a Velocette in those days.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi BK,
I fitted a wider alloy rim from a 900 tiger (they said it couldn't be done, ha ha,) and a
150x70x17 Avon Roadrider tyre, mainly cos I got the rim cheap (£15), my steel rim was rusty, to save weight, and to look good. It didn't affect handling significantly (for good or bad), it didn't save weight (alloy rim not much lighter than steel, & tyre is heavier) but it won't rust & it does look good. Tyre was about £70 as against about £60 for standard, but might last longer as has more rubber on road. Definitely looks good (I think).
Would I do it again? Definitely, as long as I could get the rim cheap. Now looking for a matching rim, to replace the equally rusty front one.
Cheers, Dayve

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dayve. I've seen a 140 on a standard rear rim at my local Triumph shop and that gets good reports. I am pretty well decided to keep the new alloy rims to the standard widths and wear the present LaserTecs out before changing the tyre sizes/ ratios.
All the best,

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts