Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. All the old bikes seemed to have a set of tools. Are modern bikes so reliable that tool kits are simply unnecessary?

If not, what tools should I carry in my 2012 T100? If the bike is made in Thailand, it likely uses metric wrenches (10 mm? 13?).

I already have duct tape, zip ties and multi tool. What else should I carry? Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
At the least, I keep a basic ratcheting metric socket set, ratcheting driver multitool set, a tube repair kit, tire gauge, earplugs, loctite blue, and some offset box wrenches in the saddlebag. If possible, some spare fuses, electrical tape, and shop rags always help too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My last bike was a 1971 model so there wasn't much choice in the matter. But I'm leaning toward a basic wrench set, tube fix-it, and a 24 hr towing company card.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I put together a kit with the following: stubby ratchet. 6-7-8-9-10-12mm sockets, extension, spark plug socket. ratchet screwdriver with bits in the handle. 6-7-8-9=10 combo wrenches (Stanley) needle nosed pliers. small crescent wrench (adjustable). I've only used them in my bike shed for convenience. I've never had to wrench beside the highway on my Triumph, but have helped out others.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, first you need a flathead screwdriver or quarter to get a sidecover off. Under the sidecover, there is a spot for an Allen key. With the Allen key you put there, you can take the seat bolts off. Now, finally, you have access to whatever tools you feel like storing under the seat.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Well, first you need a flathead screwdriver or quarter to get a sidecover off. Under the sidecover, there is a spot for an Allen key. With the Allen key you put there, you can take the seat bolts off. Now, finally, you have access to whatever tools you feel like storing under the seat.
Lol!
Yes, those "coin" operated cover bolts and Allen key seat bolts were the first items I swapped out with tool-less fittings. In fact the seat is now fully quick-release via a cable with knob which pulls a car trunk type mechanism under the seat floor.

I've never had to piss around with removing my covers/seat ever since...

Next up is that [email protected]#$%! oil filler cap!

·
Premium Member
2010 T100.1975 Norton Commando MK3.
176 Posts
Here is my toolkit i made up that fits under my seat. I use a neoprene kids pencil case to keep it in. I also carry some tire plugs and one of those small inflator bottles in my jacket pocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I once put together a couple of basic metric toolkits that fit in an Altoids tin. Seriously! I'll have to pull it out and take a video unpacking it, so I can post it here.

My "real" toolkit is less like playing Tetris to pack back up after I've used it... haven't been in there for a bit, but there's 8/10/12/14/17mm sockets (because that's what I needed on the Hondas I had before I recently bought my Thruxton), and ratcheting combination wrenches in the same sizes... fuses... zip ties... ratcheting bit driver with flat/philips/allen bits... electrical tape... tire gauge... pliers...

What are the common socket sizes needed for Hinkley Bonnies/Thruxtons?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts