Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
@rsturm Thank you! I’ve been reading all the horror reviews and have been trying to figure the best strategy to not get reamed on my first ride.
I think the #1 rule to not get shafted is: be willing to walk away (ie, don't give them the leverage that "you must go home with a bike TODAY.").

Good luck Franklin. I got a street scrambler (same platform as the models you're looking at) as my first bike and it is great fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No, I would say the number 1 rule is to do it by e-mail/internet, even it is the store next door unless you want to play games. Walk in with the quote and the money, ride off with the bike. No negotiations, no surprises, no stress. You can ride off more easily from the local dealers than getting a bike shipped from New Hampshire and having to get a CA title and registration yourself.

Actually, one dealer replied (with their quote) that they have two different sales mode because so many customers like to play negotiation games in order to "win" . So there is the standard mode for the competitive negotiators and tire kickers who get to play with commissioned sales staff, the other with a final non-negotiable number.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, the ST was my first bike: AMAZING FIRST BIKE!!!
It’s gentle and furious at the same time!
It’s such an excellent first bike, and gives so much confidence, that I felt ready for the T120 in 3 months...
Yes, after 3 months I switched for the 1200 cc!
The 6th gear does a huge difference if you planning to hit the highway.
I like better the ST riding position over the T100 (similar to the T120), it’s more aggressive to hit the corners.
Between ST and T100, I would definitely choose the ST. But if you are a careful rider, go directly to the T120, take it easy in the beginning, and save some money. YES, in 3 months the ST won’t be enough if you get the riders flu!!!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@Simon64ds I've only heard the horror stories. I'm sure many folks have good experiences. I'm just hoping to land in the latter category! :)
@ClassicVW I haven't ruled out getting a deal from out of state. Thanks for the tip in NH! I'll look into them if it comes to that
@JFM yeah, inside my heart I'm screaming "I want, I want I want!" but I am definitely prepared to walk out. Love that Scrambler too!
@BRUNO SOARES Tempting to consider the T120 right away. The only thing I got going for me is that my wife used to ride and she likes the ST enough that if I happen to 'outgrow' it, she'll take it. So, I am glad to hear the ST is a fun first!
@rsturm After your post I've felt better about approaching the local dealers with an email. Hopefully, I can work something out here locally. Definitely some things to consider. I have even heard (not sure to it's validity) that some bikes are only 49 state legal, making them non-street legal in CA. (??) Nice pics! Is that 1st pic Sunset and PCH?

Oh yeah, I quickly realized I posted in the picture theme, apologies, but I will promise I will post pictures of my Triumph when I get it!!! :) Really love the community and real life advice from the forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@rsturm I have even heard (not sure to it's validity) that some bikes are only 49 state legal, making them non-street legal in CA. (??) Nice pics! Is that 1st pic Sunset and PCH?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, that was sunset and PCH

And also yes, the 49-state situation is true, usually older designs that don't meet CA air quality restrictions - or current EU norms. Suzuki's TU250X is one current model, 49-states only, and it is not available in CA or in Europe. Since CA is the biggest market, it is fairly rare for a manufacturers not to have a motorcycle for CA and those would also have problems in the EU (where motorcycles are regularly checked for compliance). There were a few cases where manufacturers made a special CA-only tweak, so had different versions in the US, but I've only seen an actual case with Royal Enfields.

·
Registered
692 Posts
honestly, try both, they are basically the same thing.

While mine is a "submodel" in the Street family, being a Scrambler i think i've changed and/or customized just about everything on it.

LED Headlight, headlight grille, front and rear turn signals, taillight, seat, tank pads, front turn signal relocation, flyscreen, heated grips, heated grips, mirrors, control levers, clutch and ACG badges, number plate, exhaust, pannier, and so on. I've even gone as far as putting a Thruxton R taillight on it. The only thing not yet done to it that I wanted to do yet is install some vintage style tank badges.

So I would say both the T100 and the Street Bonnevilles can be modded to your heart's content.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Also to note. My first bike was this Scrambler. I also outgrew it really fast. I moved up to a Thruxton R, but it's now my wife's main bike. i still ride it from time to time.

I still love it, I enjoy riding it, I think I really enjoy the modification process. I'm still modding it. I have less things that I wanted to do with the Thruxton, as it was nearly perfect out of the box. With all this talk of a cam coming for the 900's, I'm definitely considering the cost ratio of doing the cam and upgrading the brakes, v.s. us just selling it in the future for a T120, and turning a T120 into a Scrambler. But I'll be honest, the Korosi Red paint is so beautiful, I think we'll just keep on modding this. I've already done so much, and in my eyes it's damn beautiful and has classed upward transcending the entry level, and looks as good as any T100/T120 to me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I rode the Scrambler and the T100 before deciding. The Scrambler was huge fun. As soon as you let the clutch out in first gear you feel like Steve McQueen. The riding position encourages you to ‘boss’ the bike about and the whole package is wonderfully crafted to enhance the riding experience. Great job, Triumph.

And yet, I bought the T100? Yeah, nostalgia is a powerful tool. Certainly a powerful sales tool. Y’see the 100 rides very similarly to the Scram (as you might expect) but just has the ‘look’ of the bikes I grew up with. The Hinckley boys got the styling ‘bang on’ with the 100. Even the tank badges are ‘just right’. Slinging my leg over the seat, settling down behind the twin clocks listening to the burble of the exhaust makes me feel 18 again. Bloody amazing job, Triumph.

·
Registered
716 Posts
@Simon64ds I'm a sucker for classics/tradition and that is why I am looking at the T100. :)
Ah, then the choice is clear. The Street Twin is a 'Modern Classic', lightweight, punchy, great steering.. Ticks nearly all the boxes. The only tick missing is the 'traditional' look. The 100 is everything the ST is, but it has the 'look' too. Only you can decide what that look means (and is worth) to you. All the variations on the 900cc bikes are brilliant, you won't go wrong or be unhappy with any of them. Just choose the one that makes your heart sing!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their insight! I ended up getting a 2018 Street Twin for close to MSRP OTD. :grin2:

I'll get pics up once it's in my hands....

21 - 34 of 34 Posts