Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained my fluid in the primary . I got almost a quart of oil out of the trans. primary . I thought it held only one half pint or 300 C.C.'s Is there some thing I'm missing? What is the correct level and what is the recommended fluid of choice .

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
'70 or later would self-level at about 300 ml.
If it's pre-'70 and you have no crank seal,it will just keep filling.On the other hand,it could be pre-'70 with a good crank seal and just over-filled.

What have you got?They've been making T100 since about 1938.They later became unit construction.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
If it's '70,you'll have a large breather hose coming off the crankcase at the rear of the primary case.If it hasn't been modified,there will be no other crankcase breather.In that case,you just use 20/50 engine oil.
'69 and earlier use different breather and different oil.

There's still a problem with that amount of oil (almost 1 quart).'70 has no crank seal fitted;the crankcase can breathe into the primary.Drain holes allow excess oil in the primary to drain back to the crankcase.
There should only be about 100ml-150ml of oil in the crankcase,but if it's completely flooded it will also over-fill the primary.The crankcase will flood if the return oil pump isn't working.It can also sometimes flood if the bike wasn't started for a very long time.If you've recently removed the crankcase drain plug,you could have introduced problems in the return pump.It's not necesary to remove the drain plug,and there are better ways to get old oil out of the crankcase (it will pump out).

Check that oil is returning to the oil tank when the engine is running.If there's too much oil in the crankcase,it should all pump back to the tank (and raise the tank level) if the return pump works properly.

Also check that the breather works.If an oil seal has been fitted to the crank,it won't.If you pull out the timing plug or remove a rocker cap,you should be able to blow through the breather hose and it will come out of the crankcase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed and helpful diagnoses . I have oil returning to the tank when I kick it over. How far from the top of the should the level be? The cap does not have a dip-stick. The level could be too high? Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts