Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was set. The T100 was the easy choice. Sophisticated and classy looks. Now, I'm confused. The Thruxton looks a little more sporty. I don't think I could fit one of my girls on the Thrux for a quick ride around the block, but a bonus to that is the wife wont bug me to take her out.

I'm curious what you current owners went with and why. I don't need you to pick a bike for me and I know I'll be happy with either one. I'd like to hear your personal pros and cons on why you went for one over the other in terms of style or practicality. Saying you got a T100 because your dad had one or you drove one a hundred years ago isn't helpful.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I thought I was set. The T100 was the easy choice. Sophisticated and classy looks. Now, I'm confused. The Thruxton looks a little more sporty. I don't think I could fit one of my girls on the Thrux for a quick ride around the block, but a bonus to that is the wife wont bug me to take her out.

I'm curious what you current owners went with and why. I don't need you to pick a bike for me and I know I'll be happy with either one. I'd like to hear your personal pros and cons on why you went for one over the other in terms of style or practicality. Saying you got a T100 because your dad had one or you drove one a hundred years ago isn't helpful.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
I got a T100 because my old man bought it, passed, and I inherited it. Yes, I know - not helpful, but couldn't resist.

I like them both. You have the added benefit of the same frame. If you like the Thruxton for it's more sporty look there's not much reason why you couldn't compromise slightly and get a bench seat for it.

I personally don't like clip ons I find them uncomfortable and they make me a bit nervous - or rather they did until I rode a SV650 for a while. With the T100 you have many options for adjusting the steering height to your personal taste because you can change the bars and even if you like - go to clip ons.

The Thruxton has that premade Cafe racer look which is pretty smooth, and I like it tons. How would you plan to ride the bike, I'd think the rear sets might be hard on the knees after a while.

To the core of it though they are the same bike with different options. There is no reason why you cant have the best of both worlds.

I'd say choose the one with the most options that you like, then source the bits from/for the other to get a real special.

Oh and for the full circle, I actually had my heart set on a straight up Bonnie which being so basic in style would have allowed me many options for making it a special. But pop did the blanking plugs, the 19 tooth sprocket, Hagon shocks & springs, a dart fly screen with modified mounts (made of brass by him in his lathe), drag bars with 1" risers (which I installed after he passed - but he'd wanted to make), and has the added bonus of being my father's last 2 wheeled love.

So I'm quite content, for me it's the look and feel of a classic British roadster instead of a cafe racer. The T100 gives me that. I may only be 25, but I've owned two '73s (Bonnie and a Tiger) as well as a Norton Atlas, so I can say that the T100 really does give me all my desires except I do love a kick start.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
They are quite different bikes when you drill down. I swapped the bonnie for the Thrux last October as soon as I test drove the Thrux - smaller wheel base, slightly steeper rake, more power and torque (over 790) - therefore quicker, smoother, more maneoverable. I have since put my old bonnie (Mototwin) seat and Rentec rack on the Thrux so it has the best of both worlds. I compared it yesterday to the 09 Ducatis GT 1000 classic (the new sport S was not in the shop but due out soon however pretty much the same bikes) - The Thruxton is smaller, neater, easier and I much prefer the rearsets and new 09 bars which makes it handle like a hybrid bicycle - a no brainer over the bonnie/T100

Pythas - I am thinking of buying a restored 65 Atlas Cafe Racer in slimline frame - finding info on the Atlas riding experience is v difficult. What is your Atlas like?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
They are quite different bikes when you drill down. I swapped the bonnie for the Thrux last October as soon as I test drove the Thrux - smaller wheel base, slightly steeper rake, more power and torque (over 790) - therefore quicker, smoother, more maneoverable. I have since put my old bonnie (Mototwin) seat and Rentec rack on the Thrux so it has the best of both worlds. I compared it yesterday to the 09 Ducatis GT 1000 classic (the new sport S was not in the shop but due out soon however pretty much the same bikes) - The Thruxton is smaller, neater, easier and I much prefer the rearsets and new 09 bars which makes it handle like a hybrid bicycle - a no brainer over the bonnie/T100

Pythas - I am thinking of buying a restored 65 Atlas Cafe Racer in slimline frame - finding info on the Atlas riding experience is v difficult. What is your Atlas like?
A no brainer for you and for me. I prefer the T-100. OP..it comes down to look of the bike and riding position. I suggest you test ride each and then make your decision. I like many of the parts on the Thrux but not the riding position. Some prefer rear sets and lower bars but not me. The Bonnie position is just right and still more aggressive than a typical cruiser. At the end of the day it isn't that big of deal OP because you can take either one in the direction of the other but a good idea to pick the bike that fits your riding style the best. The Thrux is a more capable bike at the track as well and the Bonny easier to live with in the city.
No bad choice here.
George

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sounds to me like you'd be happier with the T100. You'd the be able to take the kids and wife for a ride in more comfort and safety.

Remember..... if the lady of the house ain't happpy, you're not going to be happy! :eek:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Liked the Bonneville, Thruxton and Scrambler. Settled on Bonneville, as I knew I would, because I've owned them before and they are more utilitarian than the others. Low bars and reconfigured pegs/controls and you've got a Thruxton - and I don't dirt ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the replies fellas. Literally on the fence for both.

I am curious about why the Thrux has more torque. I though they were the same exact engine?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I picked the Bonnie as an homage to the days when bikes were just bikes. Classic lines and modern conveniences.

I got back into riding last summer after six years without a bike. I knew my sport riding days were over, but I still wanted something spirited. I liked the historic lines of Harley's but just wasn't ready for a cruiser.

In this day of specialized this and specialized that, I wanted just-a-bike. Now that I have her, I am slowly tweaking her into something that's uniquely mine. That's part of the fun.

I've put on some M-Bars and I'm going to tighten up the suspension. I'm slowly building inventory for a four day road trip. Maybe I go back to the stock bars for that, I don't know. My Bonnie is adaptable to different tasks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The magazines sure trash the Thruxton. I don't know why.

THey compare it against a Ducati 750 classic sport, which it really shouldn't be comapred against. I do think you have to count on getting the TORS exhaust with it, but I'd sure be able to appreciate a Thruxton.

But I like the T-100 a lot too. They should both be a bit more displacement, 1100s probably

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Why couldn`t you take the wife or kids for a ride? It takes 20 seconds to remove the cowl and reveal the best looking seat made for the Bonnie.Any Bonnie!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I considered both as well, but thought I'd feel like a big ol poser on a pre-manufactured Bonneville cafe' racer. Ah but who cares....if its fun to ride and you like the way it looks, screw it. Id love to have one of each.

Both are very very nice, just get what you like, I would go with your gut on this one. You cant rationalize buying a motorcycle unless you are doing it for fuel economy or some other necessity, in which case you would not be buying a Bonnie or Thrux. Both are made for pure fun, and you will get lots of each with either choice.

You should convince the Mrs. that you would really like her to ride with you, not behind you. It would be something you could do together. You get the Thrux, and buy her a Bonnie. If you buy both used for 5000 each (maybe less) you wont be spending that much more than you would by buying either one new.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Shakes a bit for sure, maybe a bit more than the Triumphs. Mine was stock (I put a Triumph 750 twin in when I decided I needed to totally rebuild the motor but didn't have the cash, will be a Norton again when I finish the engine). The Atlas corners like a dream, you can keep it in corners opening up the throttle and pass the Triumphs of that era as well as the Enfield twins, and so on because I think the chasis being so strong and so well engineered she never wants to stand up on you. She'll do what ever you're willing to do. I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
...You should convince the Mrs. that you would really like her to ride with you, not behind you. It would be something you could do together. You get the Thrux, and buy her a Bonnie. If you buy both used for 5000 each (maybe less) you wont be spending that much more than you would by buying either one new.
That only works if your wife likes to ride at the same pace as yourself. My wife is a very conservative driver. I'd be constantly pulling over to wait for her ... :rolleyes: Fortunately she loves riding on the back. She's been riding with me over 40 years now ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thruxton

With the '09 bars I think the Thruxton is my choice with the SE close behind. My second bike was a 1971 Tiger 650...

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I don't like the Thurxton as much as the Bonnie but that being said some of the prettiest bikes in this group are Thruxtons.

I chose a Bonnie with a ton of mods in mind to make it a more sporty bike. I am a tall buy so the Thrux was to cramped for me and to much like my Sprint. The Bonneville gave me more room.

I still wanted a sportier bike, something in between the Thrux and the standard Bonnie so I made mine a cafe racer and I am in love with it. I guess my point is it depends on your riding as to which one you should get. If its somewhere in between then its easy to take a stock Bonnie to the cafe point.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cosidering your getting more stuff on the Thrux for 200 less, I would go for the Thrux. You can always take off the extras and it'll look like a normal Bonnie. Just find some mid controls, which should cost less than 200 bucks, and you'll have both :D just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't like the Thurxton as much as the Bonnie but that being said some of the prettiest bikes in this group are Thruxtons.

I chose a Bonnie with a ton of mods in mind to make it a more sporty bike. I am a tall buy so the Thrux was to cramped for me and to much like my Sprint. The Bonneville gave me more room.

I still wanted a sportier bike, something in between the Thrux and the standard Bonnie so I made mine a cafe racer and I am in love with it. I guess my point is it depends on your riding as to which one you should get. If its somewhere in between then its easy to take a stock Bonnie to the cafe point.
I agree. I too can stretch out on the Bonny...love the ironing board seat. I felt locked in with the Sprint I rode....did love that motor however. I won't cafe mine much other than some basic mods but perhaps a bit over time.
OP...you have to determine the sweet spot for your starting point and ask yourself what kind of rider you are. If you are an aggressive guy who wants to attack the twisties and have more of a sport bike riding position, choose the Thrux IMHO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was in your position last year and chose the bonnie. Test ride both and see which suits you better.

If I had to do it all over again I probably would have just gotten the thruxton. I'm putting money into the bonnie to get it to be more like the thrux so there ya go.

I'm not unhappy with the bonnie in the least...it's a blank slate like i wanted, but if you're going to go the cafe racer route anyway, just make it easier on yourself and get the thrux.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
My thruxton is an '04...I went with this rendition over the bonny to get the floating front disk, rearset controls, and aluminum wheels. I ended up converting to conventional bars for lowspeed comfort...

Personally, with the '09 range, I'd be torn. The cast wheels on the bonny black are right up my alley & I like the all blacked out motor. The new thrux, though, now has more comfortable bars, black motor cases, new wheel hubs w/ straight pull spokes, and still has the aforementioned floating disk/rear sets. I guess the only solution is, really, to have one of each...:)

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
45 Posts
if you want to be kind of uncomfortable buy the t100. if you want to be varry uncomfortable buy the thrux. LOL if you want a aggrasive rideing all the time stance buy the thrux. if you want a nice relaxed ride get the t100. this is a verry simple decision. you just have to know what you want. all i can say is if you dont know what you want get the t100 as you can alloways get some cheap clip on grips later. but adding bars to the thrux would be verry pricy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts