Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate to do it but I have to get rid of my 06 T100. It only has 1100 miles on it. Got in in October. I have been having a ball riding it but alas my age has finally gotten to my knees. Last weekend I couldn't ride more than half an hour before my knees and shins started throbing like crazy. I had to stop and walk a bit to stop the pain. Yeah, I'm a whus but man I haven't had pain like that in a long time. I'm going to see what kind of deal my local dealer will give me on an 06 America. I have no trouble when I can stretch out. If he won't deal I'll just start advertising it until it sells. I'll sure miss the opal and tangerine paint. They don't make America's in that color. I did see a nice Grey 06 at the dealer. Maybe I can latch onto it. Love Triumphs and I really enjoy this forum. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
grump-

On the one hand, I sure feel for you, having to let go of your T100; but on the other, I sure hope you enjoy the TBA as much as I do.
Here's hoping you can make a "fair" switch.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I put Hepco-Becker Crash Bars and Highway Pegs on my T100, so I could stretch out. $204 for the Hepco-Beckers, $15 for the pegs. Made all the difference in the world for my cramps in my side hip joints.

UPDATE 23/04/06:
Hepco & Becker Crash Bars
"Motorschutzbugel Triumph Bonneville"
Artikel-Nummer: (Part Number) 501.708 00 02 chrom
http://www.hepco-becker.de/ Good luck on finding this there...

I picked any old bolt-on clamp pegs for 1 inch bar.

I little prying with a BIG screw driver for leverage was utilized in my personal installation. Yeah with the pegs - I picked Function over Form...

I got the everything through Chris at Hermy's Tire & Cycle. 610-562-7303 ET USA, as a Special Order Item. http://www.hermys.com Part Number: ET5017080002 $203.50 out of the catalog he had, after I showed them to him. I put crapo Bikemaster CB Peg 1" on, cause that's all he had in stock at the moment PN: TR171300 $12.95.

Pics are with the bags off, and roundy mirrors. I might get pegs that angle back an inch or so slightly yet, instead of the big-arse ones that are on there now. Though I can ride with my heel tendons on the pegs, "Harley style" now, its the full extended reach. Closer though for comfort then those other straight hiway bars were that I tried but just stretched me out too far. I'm 5'9" 32" inseam leg reach.

-WaltZ
"Up with Chrome - used responsibly."

[ This message was edited by: WaltZ on 2006-04-23 08:50 ]

·
Registered
83 Posts
The America is an awesome bike, I am sure you will be very happy with it. A Triumph for a Triumph is a great swap. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sorry to hear it. I do enjoy my America but letting go of something you really like is painful enough. Good luck on the dealing. :( :upthumb:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey Grump,
I am sorry to hear about the T100!! I believe you are my neighbor too!! I am just north of Winchester. Carl should treat you right at the dealership.
Best of luck and keep us posted!!
Christov

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Good luck, Saturday is Winchester Motorsports Open House, maybe they'll be feeling generous! Winchester does let you take demo rides, give an America a ride before losing money on the T100.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What about some physical theropy or possibly an exercise program? Maybe losing weight? There has to be a way to keep the t-100. Going to the right doctor could change your life. Maybe you have already done these things and its no use.

I just know I wouldnt give up my t-100 without exploring all options to stop the pain.

Good luck...............Rick..............

·
Registered
496 Posts
Actually Saturday is NOT open house at Winchester Motosports!! I talked to Carl and he has postponed the event until probably next month. It was listed as an open house this Saturday, but due to the road construction on Hopewell Road, he said he was not going to do it. His driveway is now mostly gravel from construction. Give them a call and find out before you make the trip. 540-722-2688. :(

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Sorry to hear the T100 and you don't fit each other. It happens I've owned a couple of BMWs that were absolute torture racks for me, others that I can ride all day. Sometimes changing saddles and handlebars did the trick, other times, no amount of $$ seemed to do any good. One in particular, my old R100GS, fits me just fine (once I get on the monster ... I'm 5'7"). That's why that particular bike has been part of the family for over 15 years.

Strange as it sounds, short handlebars that cause you to lean too far forward can cause knee pains, because you're then supporting your upper body partially with your wrists, but also with your lower back and knees.

And though lots of people think that the lower the seat the better the seat, that often leaves you with too little 'seat to footpeg' distance, causing you to ride with your legs 'scrunched up' rather than in a more normal position.

Just some thoughts based on what I've been through over the past 25 years.

Having said that, before selling the T100 or trading for a SM or BA, will your dealer let you take one of these bikes (demo or trade in) out for an extended ride ..... just to make sure trading bikes will cure the problem?

Regarding trading - if the dealer won't make you a reasonable trade, ask him if he'll sell the bike on consignment with no commission if you buy your replacement bike from him. I've also seen a couple of T100s sold on eBay that went for top dollar (example - a 2003 T100 went for over $6K this past December).

You'll solve this problem. It's just going to take some experimentation.

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-04-19 04:56 ]

·
Registered
893 Posts
I had a GenMar riser put on my Bonnie yesterday. It seems to have made a difference, but haven't had a lengthy ride yet.
I've experienced the hip cramp a couple of times and OUCH!
Figured to get a highway bar but they are pricey. Then my dealer showed me one made especially for the Bonneville for $160. It attaches to the frame down tubes and are black so it blends right in. Not being chromed is a plus to me. The highway bar might be worth checking into. If your dealer doesn't have it, you may want to check D&D Motorsports here. The bar isn't on the website, but phone and email addresses are. They're in Pensacola, Fl. Drop them an email or call if you think it might help. That T&O T100 is nice!

Dennis

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Grumpy-before you let that great bike get away, have you entertained putting some highway pegs up front? Average trade in on Bonnevilles is $4500.00 to $5500.00, so you won't get a great deal from the dealer. Also, maybe trying some higher bars or risers with the pegs. A couple hundred bucks in parts is better than losing3 to 4 grand on a trade! Take care and hang in there. We need all the good riders we can find!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Sorry to hear about your delema. If you do have to trade in for a cruiser, you can have it painted and mod towards the bonny look ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WaltZ you mentioned Hepco-Becker crash bar and pegs. Where did you get them? I went to their web site but didn't find anything for the T100. I really would like to try to keep my T100 and an engine guard and highway pegs may just help. It's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Grump, I had bad knee pain also but before I sold the bike I went in to the doc who ordered an MRI and found a torn minuscus. Pain was less after the surgery and a week later I was back riding. :assim:

·
Registered
666 Posts
grumpyoledude,

I put the "Updates and Pics" into the prior preceding Post. Page 1.
Hope this helps you.

-WaltZ

[ This message was edited by: WaltZ on 2006-04-23 08:15 ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts