Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bonneville T100, 2013, no modifications. Just returned from a 300 mile trip using expressways. The bike got around 50 mpg. The fuel light came on at 135 and I drove another 30 miles to get gas, so a total of 165 on this tank of gas. At fill up it took 3.2 gal of gas. I was expecting more range. Can the tank be filled up past the screen that is in the filler neck? thanks Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can certainly fill up past the neck but that empty area at the top of the tank is supposedly to allow for fuel expansion due to heat/elements.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I have filled it past the "screen" at the beginning of rides and on occasions a little has drained out of the vent.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Bonneville T100, 2013, no modifications. Just returned from a 300 mile trip using expressways. The bike got around 50 mpg. The fuel light came on at 135 and I drove another 30 miles to get gas, so a total of 165 on this tank of gas. At fill up it took 3.2 gal of gas. I was expecting more range. Can the tank be filled up past the screen that is in the filler neck? thanks Jim
You do have more range. Your tank holds 4.4 gallons so you still had 1.2 gallons available. Your MPG on that tank was 51.5 so the "ultimate" range was 226.8 miles. We don't want to run that electric pump dry and a little gas keeps her cool, so 180-190 miles would have been just fine.

My low fuel light comes on when 2.7-2.8 gallons have been used, so it's quite cautious. I never overfill always right to the bottom of the neck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask. Is the piece with the hole for the pump and three 'vent' holes the bottom of the filler neck, or does it extend further down? I'm always afraid to fill it all the way up to where that metal piece is but would like to fit some more gas in if I can.

Also, Jbuffalo I've been tracking my gas mileage on my iphone, mostly city miles, and my average over the first 7 tanks is 42.2 gal. From what I've read around the site 50 seems to be pretty good as far as mileage goes. The light comes on pretty early it seems but I never press my luck and just fill up whenever I see it and usually fit around 3 gallons in. The app says my average is 121 miles per fill up, again, mostly city miles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not that it means anything-YMMV...

I once thought I "had more range" too, but I was pushing my "4.4 gal tank" Bonneville after 167.5 miles.... Oh, sure, I had more gas in the tank (I could hear it sloshing around as I frantically rocked the bike back and forth to the tune of ***?!), but apparently it was "out to lunch" and unavailable for my consumption. So realistically, at my average of 48 mph, I have a 3.5 gallon tank...

Funniest thing, the ONLY two bikes I have ever ran out of gas with were Bonnevilles-a 1971 and now my 2012...

lol...

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
What you heard sloshing was on the right side of the tank. As there is no cross over the gas has no way to get from one side to the other once it is below the center "tunnel" that clears the frame. In an emergency situation you can remove the tank and maneuver it so that the remaining gas is on the left side and has access to the pet cock.
oh wait we're talking about fuel injected bikes, never mind I'm not sure how the fuel pick up is situated in those.

·
Registered
236 Posts
...oh wait we're talking about fuel injected bikes...
*bingo*

I know about leaning a bike over and getting that last bit over to the petcock...

Figure an EFI bike would have dual pick ups on both sides wouldn't it?

Apparently not so?

If anybody knows the key this would be a good thread to share it!

lol...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Your MPG on that tank was 51.5 so the "ultimate" range was 226.8 miles. ...
My low fuel light comes on when 2.7-2.8 gallons have been used, so it's quite cautious. I never overfill always right to the bottom of the neck.
Wait, what?? ... 50mpg... low fuel light... is this sorcery??

Next thing will be a fuel gauge, speed AND fuel efficiency.

I doubt I get even 20 MPG, and the constant adrenalin seep because the bike could cut out at any moment due to no or low fuel is all I know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my boni t100 2009 run off fuel exactly after 14.83 l at 303km (sorry - i am on metric side ..dont knew which gallon is used at conversations) so the average was 4,89l/100km.. triumph claim tank of 16.6 liters by owners handbook.. i run last 63km on reserve lamp.. any thoughst why it comes to this less amount of useful fuel?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Be careful about over-filling the tank. I over-filled my 2014 T100 to the point the gas ran down the side of the tank onto the engine--engine cold. (We'll not discuss how somebody could be so stupid, please?) Anyway, I dried things off and let it sit for about 20 minutes. It started right up and idled happily so I drove off. However, at light throttle around 2000-3000 RPM we had an nasty missfire with lurching and backfiring to the point I was headed back home. But then it gradually cleared up and I went on with my ride. I can only assume that gasoline got into the intake system someplace or flooded the charcoal evap. canister which really messed up the mixture. There was no check engine light from all this nonsense and it now continues to run properly.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I get around 50 mpg on my 2015 T100 riding back roads around 60 mph. The light goes on around 2.9 gallons down, goes out, and then comes back on and stays on when I am down over 3 gallons. I figure 4 gallons are usable so 200 miles I should make. Usually fill around 180 miles and it takes 3.6 gallons. Now in town and when its cold out it drops to around 45 mpg. I fill about 1/4 of a inch over the bottom of the neck. Now if I only could ride, looking out my window at snow and its 20 degrees out. I hate Wisconsin in the winter, but its a great place to ride in the summer.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I don't know about the later bikes, but my 2002 T100 holds 4.2 gallons. It's my understanding
that when they went to the fuel injected bikes around '08 or '09, the tank only held 4.0 gallons
because of the electric fuel pump in the tank. Later, don't know what year, I think they actually
increased the size of the tank for a little more capacity. That may be where the 4.4 gallons I'm
seeing in these posts came to be. Just my 2 ounces worth.

Harvey Mushman

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I don't know about the later bikes, but my 2002 T100 holds 4.2 gallons. It's my understanding
that when they went to the fuel injected bikes around '08 or '09, the tank only held 4.0 gallons
because of the electric fuel pump in the tank. Later, don't know what year, I think they actually
increased the size of the tank for a little more capacity. That may be where the 4.4 gallons I'm
seeing in these posts came to be. Just my 2 ounces worth.

Harvey Mushman
Yes, that is my understanding too. My manual reads 4.4 gallon capacity. So I figure 4 gallons usable, most I ever put in was 3.8 I think. Never ran out yet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. My '09 EFI holds exactly 15 litres, verified by me after replacing the fuel filter. Wiped it dry and filled it with a measuring jug. Forget the published numbers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Saturday just gone I did a 130 mile round trip to visit my family. Filled up my 2013 Bonneville first thing and then headed out. Her fuel light came on at around 127 miles and that was from cruising at 60mph for most of the journey.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts