Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people.
Looking to upgrade my front assembly on my Bonnie 2002 as the piston bore has begun to leak slightly, this being a good opportunity upgrade if possible.
Would like to fit inch flat-bars, would the scrambler brake assembly be a direct fit me thinks.
Guidance would be appreciated before the purchase of a identical brake assembly unit.
Tanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi people.
Looking to upgrade my front assembly on my Bonnie 2002 as the piston bore has begun to leak slightly, this being a good opportunity upgrade if possible.
Would like to fit inch flat-bars, would the scrambler brake assembly be a direct fit me thinks.
Guidance would be appreciated before the purchase of a identical brake assembly unit.
Tanks
Hi

I am unsure if you are talking about the brake as a whole or just your master cylinder?

I have 1” bars on my Bonny and have this master cylinder on this Triumph switchgear which may be off of an America (as the bike came with the switch gear) but correct me if I’m wrong...

Which I married up to this 6 pot pretech calliper by way of a 1” longer Goodrich hose ...

In short, as far as up-grades go, this set up, ripples the tarmac when you pull on the anchors... also fairly easy to do...

Hope this helps,

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hi people.
Tanks
Not sure if mean that your caliper or master cylinder is leaking but FYI. The Scrambler front caliper is the same as the one you have so braking would be the same. Your current controls will fit the straight bars as original bars are 1''. Scrambler bars are 7/8'' so controls would not fit.

·
Registered
10,595 Posts
If it's leaking around the caliper piston, all you need to do is replace the seals, which is not too difficult nor expensive.

Reactions: MaxSpede

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi so, if you want to simply repair then just rebuild your master and slave cylinders; kits are readily available mate.. I read your post as up-grading the woeful front anchor on the Bonny... if so I recommend the Pretech calliper and do a rebuild on your master cylinder mate (also I just learned it is a standard Bonny item.. )..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

I am unsure if you are talking about the brake as a whole or just your master cylinder?

I have 1” bars on my Bonny and have this master cylinder on this Triumph switchgear which may be off of an America (as the bike came with the switch gear) but correct me if I’m wrong...

Which I married up to this 6 pot pretech calliper by way of a 1” longer Goodrich hose ...

In short, as far as up-grades go, this set up, ripples the tarmac when you pull on the anchors... also fairly easy to do...

Hope this helps,

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Chris..Yes we have the same brake master cylinder assembly mine has started leaking, have a Beringer 4-pot downstairs. Would like to upgrade this part hopefully from the Triumph family vaults.
Sorry for not being clear Chris and many thanks, being 2002 model would not repair this unit looking to renew as this is the only part on the front braking system has'nt been replaced.
Thanks again Chris.
sharftshifter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chris..Yes we have the same brake master cylinder assembly mine has started leaking, have a Beringer 4-pot downstairs. Would like to upgrade this part hopefully from the Triumph family vaults.
Sorry for not being clear Chris and many thanks, being 2002 model would not repair this unit looking to renew as this is the only part on the front braking system has'nt been replaced.
Thanks again Chris.
sharftshifter.
Is that a Rotax in the background?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have a 4 pot Brembo on my T100. Have used the stock 11mm M/C, it worked O.K., fitted a Rocket III 14mm M/C., too big, felt wooden. Now use a 1/2'' M/C from an early twin disc Speedy and it works great. The Rocket III M/C ended up on my America when I installed a 6 pot Berringer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the late reply. Many thanks for the input with the front brake reservoir when you advised on a good replacement off a speedy did you mean the speed four model?. Had a look on-line and that type of unit is what would be a fine upgrade....what say you.
sharftshifter

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Many thanks for the input with the front brake reservoir when you advised on a good replacement off a speedy did you mean the speed four model?. Had a look on-line and that type of unit is what would be a fine upgrade....what say you.
sharftshifter
The Speed Four and similar models have 7/8'' bars, wouldn't be an easy fit. The master cylinder off an early Bonneville Speedmaster is a straight swap, all the 1'' controls and switch gear on Bonnevilles, Americas and Speedmasters are pretty much interchangeable. You need the 1/2 inch one for the Speedmaster with the twin front discs. They went to a single front disc around the time they went EFI and the those ones have the 11mm master cylinder that you already have. They all look the same, they have the size cast in them near the mirror mount. Bonneville says 11 , twin disc Speedmaster says 1/2 , Rocket III says 14. I have no idea why some are in mm and Speedmaster is in inches, but I guess Triumph have to have the odd foible here and there to maintain tradition :).
Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thanks Chris..Yes we have the same brake master cylinder assembly mine has started leaking, have a Beringer 4-pot being 2002 model would not repair this unit looking to renew as this is the only part on the front braking system has'nt been replaced.
Thanks again Chris.
sharftshifter.
Unless you want to change M/C size the 11mm cylinder can be rebuilt using a Honda kit #45530-MN9-305 at half the cost of the Triumph one #T2020087. EBAY suppliers list them cheaper but I'v only used the Honda one. If you disassemble your M/C you'r likely to find no sign of ware in the bore. With new kit, good as new.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The brakes on all the air-cooled Bonnies are pretty sad. Like Bonnie59, I went to a Pretech
6-pot caliper with a stock master cylinder. I got more braking than I'll ever use with that setup. I just changed the caliper and used the pads Pretech provided. Also kept the stock rotor. MORE than enough brakes ! ...J.D.
Pretech Caliper.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts