Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My 2013 Bonnie wouldn’t start up (battery totally dead, no lights, no fuel pump priming) and I got a friend to jump it with their car. On the ride home it was behaving funny - the speedo was moving with the tach, lots of popping, signals flashing too quickly etc. Got home, shut it off, and it wouldn’t start back up. I’ll grab a new battery tomorrow, but is there something more serious I should be worried about here?
Thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hello,
My 2013 Bonnie wouldn’t start up (battery totally dead, no lights, no fuel pump priming) and I got a friend to jump it with their car. On the ride home it was behaving funny - the speedo was moving with the tach, lots of popping, signals flashing too quickly etc. Got home, shut it off, and it wouldn’t start back up. I’ll grab a new battery tomorrow, but is there something more serious I should be worried about here?
Thanks
Hi

It sounds as if your regulator/rectifier has packed up mate. Obviously I’m just going by your symptoms but that’s where I’d start.

I hope this helps,

Chris

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a dying battery when i first bought my SE used... and eve though I had the battery charged up, it would have issues with starting after a day. Another symptom I had was when riding it would feel like about to die and surge... most notable when accelerate from stop. Charging was just mid to high 12v when idling which was terrible.
My initial thought was the regulator/stator issue.

But after a change to a new battery, cleaned the Regulator connector and regreased, the charging rate was much better and all the symptoms are no longer there. charging is now back to above 13v

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would start with checking the electrical connector in the headlight shell make sure no discoloration of the connector it self, unplug it does it still have electrical grease in there, if these check good, new battery fitted and check charging volts at battery with bike on idle, high 13volts is good low 14 volts is better, if looking a new regulator look into mosfet type

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions all - ordered a new battery for now, just waiting on it to come in as everything nearby is closed today.

Another symptom I just noticed that I'm hoping may pinpoint the issue: when I've got my battery tender plugged in, there is a buzzing noise coming from the regulator/rectifier. I haven't noticed this before.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions all - ordered a new battery for now, just waiting on it to come in as everything nearby is closed today.

Another symptom I just noticed that I'm hoping may pinpoint the issue: when I've got my battery tender plugged in, there is a buzzing noise coming from the regulator/rectifier. I haven't noticed this before.
Hi mate,

Have you got a multimeter? This great little flow chart is from a service manual is super useful in diagnosis. It does assume good wiring and connections which you’ve been advised to check.

Be careful not to junk your new battery ....

I do hope this helps?

Kind Regards

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

It sounds as if your regulator/rectifier has packed up mate. Obviously I’m just going by your symptoms but that’s where I’d start.

I hope this helps,

Chris
I might be in the same position.... my bike doesn't have any issues (yet) will changing out the R/R prevent the stator and battery going in the future? I'm thinking that if I can pre-empt the issue I might avoid it

·
Registered
651 Posts
I might be in the same position.... my bike doesn't have any issues (yet) will changing out the R/R prevent the stator and battery going in the future? I'm thinking that if I can pre-empt the issue I might avoid it
Why do you think you are in the same position?

As long as your stator and battery are in good shape it should.

I’d advice doing the test above (very simple and quite effective). Don’t forget to check wiring as well!

Kind Regards

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why do you think you are in the same position?

As long as your stator and battery are in good shape it should.

I’d advice doing the test above (very simple and quite effective). Don’t forget to check wiring as well!

Kind Regards

Chris
Just got the bike last week. Starts off the trickle charger no bother but if I stop off somewhere it hasn't started. This has happened twice. I'm getting a new battery ordered today but was wanting to prevent any future issues with the stator as I'm reading this is an issue which croos up often. That's why I was thinking of flinging in a new r/r too hoping it would prevent any future problems

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just got the bike last week. Starts off the trickle charger no bother but if I stop off somewhere it hasn't started. This has happened twice. I'm getting a new battery ordered today but was wanting to prevent any future issues with the stator as I'm reading this is an issue which croos up often. That's why I was thinking of flinging in a new r/r too hoping it would prevent any future problems
It’s fairly hard to accurately diagnose an issue without testing components but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were the rectifier.

How old is your battery?

What is it’s resting charge?

Clean your connectors and check wiring (including earth).

Then go through the flow chart..

I’d definitely advise a MOFSET regulator rectifier as these seem to be more reliable in the long run.

Hope this helps mate.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cheers Chris. Battery is 3.5 years old and as far as I can tell was running off a cheepo trickle charger. The bike also had about 600 miles on it in the last year....so not much use.

Take it easy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: got the new battery installed and everything is gravy again! The bike must have not liked the low voltage it was seeing which is why the ECU, signals and speedo were acting up even with the motor running. It's unknown how old the battery was (bought the bike last year and it's a 2013, might have been the original one?) but I've ordered a multimeter and will check the charging system just in case. Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts