Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to see if anyone knows about why my water cooled T100 has what feels like a ‘klunk’ noise while high speed downshifting from 2nd to 1st. This noise is also felt through the pegs...it feels as if the bike lurches forward a bit during the process.

It’s not the typical mechanical noise and feel of this bike.

It’s sporadic when it’s happening but it seems it’s in the initial stage of some sort of internal failure. Bike has 20k and is coming up in the end of warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, can you clarify the statement "high speed downshifting"? Do you mean quickly?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
From my experience, the shift from 2nd to 1st is best made while almost at a complete stop and close to idle rpm. I have found harsh shifting into 1st from neutral above 2000 rpm and down shifting from 2nd to 1st with speeds over 15 mph. I suppose the harshness could be described as a hard klunk, but no lurching.

The lurching could be a sign that your clutch cable needs to be a adjusted. Possibly there is too much slack causing the clutch to not fully disengage during shifting.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I don't think I've changed down from 2nd to 1st at anything more than walking pace never mind at "high speed".
Even then I'd be blipping the throttle in between to match the engine speed.
But as said already check your clutch adjustment.

Reactions: lambroving

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't think I've changed down from 2nd to 1st at anything more than walking pace never mind at "high speed".

Even then I'd be blipping the throttle in between to match the engine speed.

But as said already check your clutch adjustment.
Same here. Why do you ever require first when in motion except for pulling away or on a race bike with high gearing. Last time I used it on a bike it was 1979 and a fs1e

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
It depends on where you ride, to be fair - I ride dail in London and regularly drop down to first when filtering or approaching junctions where timing will get you across without stopping. Second starts to bog below 18mph, and a good proportion of London riding is below 20, so I change down to first while moving quite often.

It’s not changing down at high speed though...

·
Registered
142 Posts
It depends on where you ride, to be fair - I ride dail in London and regularly drop down to first when filtering or approaching junctions where timing will get you across without stopping. Second starts to bog below 18mph, and a good proportion of London riding is below 20, so I change down to first while moving quite often.

It’s not changing down at high speed though...
Are perhaps I will bump into you some time between Heathrow and Shoreditch then but after April as I've given up commuting in the winter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, can you clarify the statement "high speed downshifting"? Do you mean quickly?

I tend to ride a little fast on my bike... I keep the revs up to power out of traffic. In LA we split lanes so like it’s mentioned above, you want to have the ability to quickly get on with it.

I appreciate the input but so far looks like nobody has experienced the same. It’s definitely not normal. It’s a very solid, “something is slipping” internally, enough to feel it in the pegs. I will take it to the dealer next week but have the suspicion that they won’t find anything wrong.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I tend to ride a little fast on my bike... I keep the revs up to power out of traffic. In LA we split lanes so like it’s mentioned above, you want to have the ability to quickly get on with it.

I appreciate the input but so far looks like nobody has experienced the same. It’s definitely not normal. It’s a very solid, “something is slipping” internally, enough to feel it in the pegs. I will take it to the dealer next week but have the suspicion that they won’t find anything wrong.

If you're down shifting into 1st at any speed over a slow walk, of course it's going to be an issue. I think the bike has a slipper clutch that keeps the rear wheel from locking up. I live in Las Vegas and visit S California, and I lane split when there. I've never needed to downshift to 1st while moving.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm sorry I commute hard in traffic and again only every need to change into first if coming to a stop and the traffic moves again always walking pace. There is a reason why neutral sits between 1st and 2nd. I would try adopting a different riding style before assuming the bikes playing up

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry I commute hard in traffic and again only every need to change into first if coming to a stop and the traffic moves again always walking pace. There is a reason why neutral sits between 1st and 2nd. I would try adopting a different riding style before assuming the bikes playing up

Hey fellows...not asking for suggestions on how to ride. It’s not going to solve my problem that’s already a problem. Im actively searching for those who might be experiencing the same symptom, or alert those that don’t realize that they may have the same issue.

How I ride my bike is of no concern to anybody except me... because after all , it is my bike. If I ride the s**t out of it and only get 25k then it will be 25k of “I’m happy as hell” miles.

I was driving my car tonight watching a fellow rider splitting lanes... I did not shove my head out the window and tell him how he should be riding... just sayin.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey fellows...not asking for suggestions on how to ride. It’s not going to solve my problem that’s already a problem. Im actively searching for those who might be experiencing the same symptom, or alert those that don’t realize that they may have the same issue.

How I ride my bike is of no concern to anybody except me... because after all , it is my bike. If I ride the s**t out of it and only get 25k then it will be 25k of “I’m happy as hell” miles.

I was driving my car tonight watching a fellow rider splitting lanes... I did not shove my head out the window and tell him how he should be riding... just sayin.

Slamming your bike into first at too high a speed is most likely the issue....or caused the issue. The guy you saw riding wasn't asking for suggestions on why his bike was having issues.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slamming your bike into first at too high a speed is most likely the issue....or caused the issue. The guy you saw riding wasn't asking for suggestions on why his bike was having issues.

I digress to the point I’m making... forum fellas who just want to have something to say (sometimes needless as in this case) that contributes nothing to the original question purposed.

For future posts you may consider the initial OP’s question... because it asked if anyone is experiencing the symptom of the ‘Klunk’.

It did not ask if how ‘you think’ I ride my bike could be the problem.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I think what guys are saying here is that there's nothing wrong with the bike, and there's no design flaw.

A large rotating mass has to move not very far anytime the transmission is shifted into first gear, and to a lesser extent, second gear. There's a noticeable clunk. The clunk can be minimized by being stopped (or nearly so) when shifting into first gear. This is part of the reason why neutral is between first and second gears; the manufacturer assumes that the bike will generally be stopped when selecting neutral or first gear, with the engine at idle. In this case, riding style and habits really can make a difference in perceived smoothness.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I digress to the point I’m making... forum fellas who just want to have something to say (sometimes needless as in this case) that contributes nothing to the original question purposed.

For future posts you may consider the initial OP’s question... because it asked if anyone is experiencing the symptom of the ‘Klunk’.

Your original post did not ask if anyone else had the same issue, you asked for an explanation on why you were getting the noise.

""Looking to see if anyone knows about why my water cooled T100 has what feels like a ‘klunk’ noise while high speed downshifting from 2nd to 1st. This noise is also felt through the pegs...it feels as if the bike lurches forward a bit during the process.

It’s not the typical mechanical noise and feel of this bike.""

people have been kind enough to offer suggestions but you obviously don't want to listen:frown2:
Maybe the fact that nobody else has experienced this issue should give you a clue:wink2:

·
Registered
319 Posts

Actually, you absolutely asked why, not if anyone else has the issue:

"Looking to see if anyone knows about why my water cooled T100 has what feels like a ‘klunk’ noise while high speed downshifting from 2nd to 1st."

·
Registered
299 Posts
The only time I notice a "klunk" is when shifting from neutral to 1st after idling in neutral with the clutch engaged. I don't think I ever shift from 2nd to 1st at high speeds — I generally don't shift into 1st until I'm almost stopped.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
My father was a combat engineer in the ETO during WWII. He was proud that he'd driven for the famous Red Ball Express for a time. This was hundreds if not thousands of US Army trucks running continuously, 24/7, between ports on the English Channel and the front lines. When he was teaching 14 year-old me to drive a standard shift, he'd say, "First gear is a 'granny'. It's to be selected only when at a dead stop. That's true of many first gears, on many vehicles. So, you're riding your T120, going very slowly, approaching a stop light. The light goes green, and you decide to launch. The better choice between first and second gears is probably second, because that's the gear you're in, and first gear wasn't needed. This is just technique.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wanted to update this thread with the solution to my “klunk”.

BTW; I just read a couple more responses about my riding style . You guys crack me up worrying about riding in first gear;)

Nobody figured out the issue tho...

It was a stretched chain.

It was in need of a chain adjustment as well. The chain was loose and flopping upon down/up shifts.

Another symptom of a loose chain was the jerkiness at slow speeds. These motors are so sensitive with the high torque and sensitive throttle by wire that the chain really influenced the engine smoothness.

Probably going to be changing the chain at 10k from now on(or when I see the play around the back sprocket, whichever comes first).

New chain- now it rides like a new bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts