Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Over the winter I fitted Triumph's cruise control to my 2018 T100. It has to be 'activated' by the dealer. Dealer is two and a half hours away and in any case currently locked down. Does anybody know what 'activation' actually entails? Does the dealer simply put the cruise control map on the bike? Cruise control map is in Tuneecu and I can do it myself if that sorts it. All info gratefully received.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
If anyone here has been able to activate cruise control themselves, they have yet to report it.

No expert here but I watched my dealer activate my cruise control. The tech first plugs in to Triumph's maintenance computer, enters the bike's vin, and chooses the cruise control sub menu. The computer then begins the activation routine. The tech is prompted to actuate in turn the clutch, throttle, and both brakes, verifying that cruise can be turned off using these controls. These actions have to be input in a given period of time, or the whole process has to be started over.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. Doesn't sound promising, I was hoping for an easy fix. Still tempted to try it. Degree of secrecy regarding this stuff is astonishing, are there no Triumph techies on this forum who can give a definitive answer?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have enabled the oem cruise control on a Triumph Bobber and posted to that effect. Its pretty straightforward assuming you can get the map from Tune ECU. It can be a bit hairy as the process stalled a couple of times but eventually completed and then you run the initialisation sequence and its job done. I will see if I can locate my orinal post.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Brilliant, thanks for that. I did manage to have a look at some of the Triumph service bulletins last night and thought it sounded a possibility. Search function on this site is rubbish, I've been looking for information on this stuff for weeks and your post never came up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, just read your post and it sounds exactly as I suspected and hoped. Your attitude to dealers is similar to my own, last time I visited the nearest dealer they overfilled the oil by almost a litre. I vowed never again. Thanks again, much encouraged.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its easy enough to do but it does need an Android device and an obd connector. I don't use Android as I don't like Go-ogle so it was and additional expense and only a limited range of obd adapters will work reliably so I had to shell out for and OBD-Link LX as that was the cheapest one that was listed.
I dont really mind the expense though if it means I dont have to rely on someone else. Its rewarding doing it yourself and when you see the cruise light start flashing after the upload you know you have got one over on the dealer :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, looking forward to that moment. I've also had to buy a Samsung tablet and an OBD-Link LX which I'm ok with as I want to put a Tec cam on the bike and then have DNK Tuneworks do a tune which is done via Tuneecu. Never used Android so that will be a learning curve. Hopefully it will be useful on the bike going forward and help avoid future trips to dealer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Job done😁. Probably took me less than an hour all told. Went about as smoothly as you could hope for, battery charger gave me more grief than anything else. Really if you're already familiar with Android you're half way there. I did study Tuneecu for several days to find my way around, all the information is there if you spend some time to look for it. Saved a five hour round trip to the dealer, only had to walk as far as my garage.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Great job, I bet you're not the only one who's tackled jobs you may not have tried before during this pandemic (y)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Degree of secrecy regarding this stuff is astonishing, are there no Triumph techies on this forum who can give a definitive answer?
If I was a Triumph tech, the last thing I'd want to do is come onto an internet forum after working on bikes all day. You'd get pummeled..

A few months ago I started messing around with an Android device and TuneECU. I learned how to reprogram my T120 in short order. Technology is wonderful, if you can figure it out.

(y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts