Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
The OP already has a T120. I think he is asking about adding a T100, not either/or.

I can see adding a T100. I know it's not the same, but a while back, I owned both a Harley 1200C Sportster and an 883. They were basically the same bike with a different engine. I actually preferred the 883 for just around town. The smaller engine and different gearing made it more enjoyable for that kind of riding.

I have thought many times of adding a T100 that my dealer has in blue/white. If I didn't have the new Speedmaster, I probably would.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The OP already has a T120. I think he is asking about adding a T100, not either/or.

I can see adding a T100. I know it's not the same, but a while back, I owned both a Harley 1200C Sportster and an 883. They were basically the same bike with a different engine. I actually preferred the 883 for just around town. The smaller engine and different gearing made it more enjoyable for that kind of riding.

I have thought many times of adding a T100 that my dealer has in blue/white. If I didn't have the new Speedmaster, I probably would.
You are 100% correct. I have a T120, and I’m considering adding a W/C T100. There are few decent deals floating around right now. I’ve only been able to grab a quick ride on a W/C T100 so far, that’s why the question.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And what were your impressions of the T100?
It’s been a while so...

It felt lighter (it is), it seemed handle a bit quicker (see lighter!). The 900 had nice punch, but even on the very limited ride, it kind of needed that extra gear. Ergos the same as T120 (duh). I do think it would be a fun back road bike. My wife has a Street Twin, that’s pretty fun just bopping around, but it’s too small for me.
Overall, I really didn’t get a good chance to get an in-depth opinion, but I really like the colors :grin2:.

That said, this whole exercise is just me trying to figure out if the T100 is redundant. It most likely is, since the T120 is virtually the same, except more power and weight. But....life is short!

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you're shopping around for a second bike, why not get a completely different one, since T100 is basically the same thing...

It’s been a while so...

That said, this whole exercise is just me trying to figure out if the T100 is redundant. It most likely is, since the T120 is virtually the same, except more power and weight. But....life is short!

·
Registered
542 Posts
It’s been a while so...

It felt lighter (it is), it seemed handle a bit quicker (see lighter!). The 900 had nice punch, but even on the very limited ride, it kind of needed that extra gear. Ergos the same as T120 (duh). I do think it would be a fun back road bike. My wife has a Street Twin, that’s pretty fun just bopping around, but it’s too small for me.
Overall, I really didn’t get a good chance to get an in-depth opinion, but I really like the colors :grin2:.

My problem with the new T100 WC models is the reduction in HP. My 2015 865cc Bonneville had 65 hp. The new water cooled 55 hp. I like the handling of the T100's better than my T120. The new Street twin (not speed twin) has 65 hp.

So WHY NOT 65 hp in the T100 water cooled models?

That's why I'm looking at the older T100 air cooled models for handling and looks. Same HP and 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I owned both a T100 and T120 at the same time until I sold the T100 last summer. I loved the T100, it was a pleasure to ride, had very good brakes, and looked just right, reminiscent of Bonnevilles from long past. The 100 had good power but needed a 6th gear, and I wanted ABS. The 120 was the solution, and it came with a 1/3 increase in engine size. Much as I loved the 100, I find the 120 a significant upgrade.

One thing I have noticed, the 120's dual caliper front brake doesn't seem to have the stopping power of the 100's single disc and caliper. Maybe it's me, but riding one right after the other that one item always stood out. The 100 front brake was very strong, the 120's not as much. It takes more brake lever pull on the 120 to equal the stopping power of the 100, or so it seems to me.

The 120 does have more power for sure. The 865 engine in the 100 was powerful enough to keep my interest, but the 1200 in the 120 makes me smile every time I twist the throttle. I love both bikes, and wish I'd kept the 100 but I really didn't need to keep both.
Ha Ha We have the same bike and it looks like the same saddlebags! It looks like you have yours mounted under the seat. Does it work all right? Is that picture in Montana?

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mawni, no that picture is at the divide in Rocky Mt Nat Park. I relinquished those bags with the sale of my T100, and mounted new bags on the 120.

I do love the 120, and agree with the posts that brag about its capabilities. Best bike I could ever imagine owning.

Tom

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
My problem with the new T100 WC models is the reduction in HP. My 2015 865cc Bonneville had 65 hp. The new water cooled 55 hp. I like the handling of the T100's better than my T120. The new Street twin (not speed twin) has 65 hp.

So WHY NOT 65 hp in the T100 water cooled models?

That's why I'm looking at the older T100 air cooled models for handling and looks. Same HP and 1/3 the price.
That rating is a bit deceptive. The 865 is only 54-57 at the wheel. the WC is about 50. The twin cams need to come out for valve adjustment, the SOHC WC does not require cam removal. I do prefer the air/oil cooled as I has 3 and a Scrambler. They are a bit lardy for me now but terrific machines at stupid prices. A friend had to sell his 11 black/grey for $3500 about. Every home should have one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, if you already have a T120 and like it, it's hard to provide any rational justification for buying a T100.

Then again, if you don't need a justification, just go and get one 🙂

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Sure it’s heavier, but more power and another gear win almost every time. I’m just trying to not buy a Speed Twin.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Plenty of places and countries where buying a motorcycle IS a rational decision... Vietnam, India, parts of Europe, Mexico... much more motorcycle friendlier places. In the US? Southern California, MAYBE... where you CAN commute year round and lane split without worrying about the weather. Here in Chicago, I'm lucky to maybe get 3-4 days a week where I can commute to work starting around May to about mid October, because of the bipolar weather. So yeah... here it's not a rational decision. :laugh2:

Once buying a motorcycle becomes a rational decision, it’s time to quit buying motorcycles!

·
Registered
18 Posts
VectorBurn,

To echo your point, I woke up to find snow on my 2 week old (2018) T120 and my 2013 Trophy.

Living in and around Chicago is torture for those who love to ride.

Ride safe,
ZShyster

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
That rating is a bit deceptive. The 865 is only 54-57 at the wheel. the WC is about 50. The twin cams need to come out for valve adjustment, the SOHC WC does not require cam removal. I do prefer the air/oil cooled as I has 3 and a Scrambler. They are a bit lardy for me now but terrific machines at stupid prices. A friend had to sell his 11 black/grey for $3500 about. Every home should have one.
The numbers themselves are deceptive. They are peak numbers at one specific rpm. The watercooled could well make more power over the rev range. So unless one just rides around with the the throttle pinned, I'd forget the spec sheet and go take one for a ride.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah I stopped messing about a few weeks ago and stored my Street Cup. I haven nothing to prove to anyone by ridding in crappy weather. :laugh2:

VectorBurn,

To echo your point, I woke up to find snow on my 2 week old (2018) T120 and my 2013 Trophy.

Living in and around Chicago is torture for those who love to ride.

Ride safe,
ZShyster

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
The WC T100 was not yet available when I bought my new T120. When the T100 hit the market I took one for a long test ride. By then I'd ridden my T120 for many thousands of miles and was thoroughly used to it. Bottom line, the T100 didn't have nearly as much engine power and didn't stop as well. There was no noticeable difference in handling. The T100 needs a sixth gear. I did love the T100's cream and orange tank, though!

The WC T100 is far more refined, comfortable, smooth and capable than my 790cc T100. Without doubt.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If I were shopping again I would skip both of them and go for the Speed Twin. If I was really hot yet for the t120 look, I would just change the tank to a t120 tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

21 - 39 of 39 Posts