Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. Does anyone own water cooled T100 and T120? I know they ride slightly differently due to weight and obviously there are power differences. Just wondering really, but I must admit an orange T100 would look good in any garage!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a talk about this with the dealer's mechanic.
His opinion: for short rides and easier steering go for the T100. For long rides go for the T120.

I got the T120. And I don't do long rides :D.

(There were no T100 for a decent price at that time)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just picked up a new 2018 T120 a couple days ago. I looked at the weight difference in the two and it is approximately 30 lbs. Given that nominal difference and the significant difference in power, I chose to go with the T120. My weight 250 lbs and the fact that I have a 2013 Trophy SE and was trading in a 2015 Explorer 1200, I did not want to give up any more horsepower than necessary.

The T120 has not disappointed. It does not have the hang on power the 1215 triple engine does, but it pulls pretty well. I do not think I would have gotten the same happy feeling out of the T100.

Good Luck and Ride Safe.

ZShyster

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I bought the T120 last summer and I have absolutely no regrets.
If I had settled for a T100, I know I would always be wishing I hadn't.
Time goes by and the extra money isn't missed.
If there were no such thing as the T120 1200, only then could I be satisfied with the T100.
I was completely satisfied with the 1970 Bonneville 650 that I had in the '70s.
To me, at that time, there was nothing better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I owned both a T100 and T120 at the same time until I sold the T100 last summer. I loved the T100, it was a pleasure to ride, had very good brakes, and looked just right, reminiscent of Bonnevilles from long past. The 100 had good power but needed a 6th gear, and I wanted ABS. The 120 was the solution, and it came with a 1/3 increase in engine size. Much as I loved the 100, I find the 120 a significant upgrade.

One thing I have noticed, the 120's dual caliper front brake doesn't seem to have the stopping power of the 100's single disc and caliper. Maybe it's me, but riding one right after the other that one item always stood out. The 100 front brake was very strong, the 120's not as much. It takes more brake lever pull on the 120 to equal the stopping power of the 100, or so it seems to me.

The 120 does have more power for sure. The 865 engine in the 100 was powerful enough to keep my interest, but the 1200 in the 120 makes me smile every time I twist the throttle. I love both bikes, and wish I'd kept the 100 but I really didn't need to keep both.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
One thing I have noticed, the 120's dual caliper front brake doesn't seem to have the stopping power of the 100's single disc and caliper.
Switching to EBC HH pads made a big difference on my T120. You should be able to engage the ABS system with either set of pads but the EBC pads gave me quicker initial bite and seem to require less pressure for the same braking effect.

Chuck

·
Registered
30 Posts
2 wheeler

Switching to EBC HH pads made a big difference on my T120. You should be able to engage the ABS system with either set of pads but the EBC pads gave me quicker initial bite and seem to require less pressure for the same braking effect.

Chuck
Hook, are these pads available through Triumph, or after market?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Question. Does anyone own water cooled T100 and T120? I know they ride slightly differently due to weight and obviously there are power differences. Just wondering really, but I must admit an orange T100 would look good in any garage!
I purchased my T120 over the summer. The one thing I did notice was the increased heat of 1200 engine over my 865 Bonneville. In TX, that is a drag. But overall, the T120 has the guts to do what is needed for two up riding and commuting. Even did a track day last week with it. Anyway, to my point.... There is a 2007 T100 Orange for sale near OK city that really has my eye. Just a great color combo. I had a 2007 silver Bonneville a while back. Maybe mix an air cooled with the water cooled? Just money....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hook, are these pads available through Triumph, or after market?
They are aftermarket. Readily available thru many sources. EBC pads are widely used by many, made for most motorcycles. They come in different compounds but the HH compound gives the results I described.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I went thru the same decision process and after many test rides of both and lots of agonizing, I ended up with the T120. The main selling points to me were that for not a whole lot more money, the T120 comes standard with a lot of things that I would eventually want on the T100, such as heated grips, center stand, dual front disks (okay, I wouldn't have added those on a T100 but I thought they were a good idea), etc. When I did the cost analysis including the after-market parts, the difference wasn't very much so I went with the T120.

A year later, and I'm not unhappy with my choice!

-Dan

·
Registered
542 Posts
"Even did a track day last week with it"

How did that go? I've been tempted to do that here in NH.
It went well. A local dealer hosted it. I did the riding school since it was my first track experience. 1/2 hour class then 1/2 hour track. By the afternoon I felt comfortable. Maybe I'll write a post about it. The bike was good and had the needed power to keep up with "some" of the others. I was the old guy, but I would encourage you to give it a try. I want to go back again. Mike

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Always go big. You won't regret it. You have to ride both.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Comparing an earlier 865 cc T100 to a new T120 is an apples and oranges comparison. There is no parts commonality between the two bikes, except for a couple of light bulbs. The WC twins are clean sheet designs. What owners liked about previous models has been greatly enhanced. What we didn't like is gone.

It can be hard to wrap one's mind around the T120's large displacement engine. It can be a little intimidating, even. The T100 was not available when I bought my '16 T120, but I've sure been pleased with my purchase and ownership. I'd never previously owned a bike bigger than 1,000 cc. I well remember the ride home from delivery, 300 miles, most of it on superslab. I was keeping the bike's 4,000 break-in RPM firmly in mind. 4,000 RPM is an indicated 88 MPH. At that speed the T120 was just gliding along. My '03 T100 would have been straining mightily.

The T120's power is very friendly. It's never edgy or overwhelming. Think of it as reserve power, there when needed or wanted. I never nudge the shifter lever looking for another gear that isn't there. Watch the pass at 10:10 in the video above, and listen to what TMF has to say about it. You never have to go rowing through the T120's gears looking for power. It always right there, with a twist of the throttle, at virtually any RPM.

The weight difference between the WC T100 and T120 is 11 kg or 24 lbs. Add a center stand and low grab rail kit (factory standard on the T120) to the T100 and the weight of the two bikes is identical, but the T100 still won't have the extra power, sixth gear, and dual disc brakes.

Heated grips are standard on the T120, too. Never had these before. Thought they were for weenies. Use them a lot in cooler weather.

Other than up front cost, the T120's extra capability comes without penalty. There's no vibration, no discernable difference in handling, and no difference in fuel consumption. I'm getting 60-65 MPH on every tank. My advice is to consider the T100 only if there are regulatory or insurance reasons for doing so.

Bottom line, the T120 is the more capable of the two bikes, by a lot. The T100 might be adequate to your needs, but wouldn't you prefer a bike that's capable in any situation to one that's merely adequate most of the time?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts