16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick reference for the baseline model numbers from Triumph:

T301 - 1000cc Short-stroke Fours
T309 - 900cc Long-stroke Triples
T312 - 1200cc Long-stroke Fours
T375 - 750cc Short-stroke Triples
T409 - 900cc Tiger
T509 - 900cc Fuel-injected Triple (First generation injected Speed Triple)
T595 - 955cc Fuel-injected Triple (First generation injected Daytona)

Differentiation between the early models was with a letter suffix after the T3xx number:

T309 with no suffix is a Daytona 900, T309 R is a Trident 900, T309 RC is an Adventurer, T309 RD is a T-Bird Sport, T309 RG is a Sprint Sport... See Ian Chadwick's site for the best reference I know.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Always wondered about that. T3 has usually been good enough for general conversation for me, however I never knew I was actually a T309 family member.

I suppose its even more specific than that based on the market where the bike was intended to go. For example, my USA, non California 98 Sprint Exec is a T381DF on both the title and engine casing serial number.

I don't know what that means other than its a boat load of fun, gets thumbs up and lots of admiring glances and gets me a free pass into the HOV lane for commuting!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!! :eek:

Totally different things here! Your Sprint Exec's model designation is T309 RP.

If your title is correct, that means your VIN is SMT381DFxxxxxxxxx. See this thread to understand why that make me want to scream. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Kit,

I am a bit confused by this as under the seat, the plate on the frame of my 92 Daytona 1000 has Type T300.
The Vin is then SMTTC343ADNxxxxx

I have the factory service manual with the VIN breakdown code.

343 stands for Daytona 1000 in the book.
The A in the vin stands for 1000cc short stroke.
D = 17/46 Final Drive Sprocket Ratios
N = 1992 for year of production

I Have looked at Ian Chadwicks list but don't get where 301 = 1000cc short stroke as the above identifiers came from a factory manual & bike..

Regards
sweenz

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweenz, you seem to have an early import with a British VIN. That being said, though, we're not talking about VINs in this thread. If you wouldn't mind, I'm sure it would be much appreciated if you started a new thread with your decoder info in it, or added it to the thread I mentioned before. (Your info is British; I'm curious whether the Aussie VINs continued that way or went with the US/ISO format at some point.)

The only thing that gets me here is the "T300" on the plate. I wonder if they're all Type T300, with the T301, T309, etc., as model numbers?

Anybody else got a T-number (not the VIN itself) on their VIN plate?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for that Kit.
We usually get European spec models down here in OZ.
When I get the chance I'll scan the decoder info page and insert it in a new thread.
Hopefuly it well help alot of people out!

sweenz

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mine also has T300 stamped on the vin plate as the type. Vin starts smttc336dmr. There is also a sticker on the headstock that says Trophy 900/ Trident 900. Will be interesting to see the rest of your info

·
Registered
32 Posts
T309 SP = Speed Triple

Differentiation between the early models was with a letter suffix after the T3xx number:

T309 with no suffix is a Daytona 900, T309 R is a Trident 900, T309 RC is an Adventurer, T309 RD is a T-Bird Sport, T309 RG is a Sprint Sport... See Ian Chadwick's site for the best reference I know.
Speed Triples are T309 SP (while we are being sticklers).

Thanks KitNYC, that chart is a good read. I love the name "desert sled" for a bike, and I'm also curious why Triumph cycles and Triumph cars have so many model designations in common. It seems unnecessarily complicated.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine also has T300 stamped on the vin plate as the type. Vin starts smttc336dmr. There is also a sticker on the headstock that says Trophy 900/ Trident 900. Will be interesting to see the rest of your info
Good to see I'm not losing my mind! Your bike should be a Trophy 3 as opposed to a Trophy 900 for '94, but looking at the picture I thought it looked like a Daytona... Glad you have the photo album up, else I would've been thoroughly confused! The T300 on the VIN plate fits with my theory that they're all T300 until the Tiger and the injected bikes come along.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
826 Posts
hey kit, just read the page you linked to, and saw that you were interested in my vin, as an early uk bike.
my vin is: SMTTC330BEM0013XX THE "XX" BEING CENSORING OBVIOUSLY
want to decode it for me?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, for this particular thread about the T-numbers, you're on a T375. :p

I'll answer in the other thread.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
4 Posts
AAARRRRGGHHH!!!

Well I thought I had a Trident 900....looks like based off this info its a 750. Still a fantastic bike but I feel a little cheated. Guess thats what happens when you dont do enough research.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
The only thing that gets me here is the "T300" on the plate. I wonder if they're all Type T300, with the T301, T309, etc., as model numbers?

Anybody else got a T-number (not the VIN itself) on their VIN plate?

Cheers,
-Kit
Yes Kit I have T300 (MTTE) on my vin plate
Engine N0 003592
Vin SMTTC33800n003541

I'm not sure why people are shy about putting the full Vin online, is is because they bought the bike new and the numbers are searchable back to them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts