Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a short ride before dinner today & had a little worry. I haven't riden much lately account of crappy Oct. & Nov. weather here in NEO. Bike started fine, let it warm up & hit the street. Bike ran really sluggish & popin' like crazy. By the time I got to my backroads thou, SM was back to normal. running fine. I guess it was letting me know - just ride more.

I guess my worry was that since I bought the bike used 12/05 it has been a perfect runner & now I might have problems & I'm no wrench. Other than the 6000 mi. service I've never thought the bike needs any mods. to enhance its performance (front springs & rear tail lights aside). It is what it is & I love it. If I could I'd like a Monster or S3 just for the power. But for now my #1 bike is the one I have. A 865 mid-weight cruiser that always makes me smile!

Just some ramblings from a stuffed but satisfied rider

Rick

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
CRACK,

It sounds like you may have just had the gas 'standing' in your fuel lines start to sour and possibly your carb bowls too. Once the 'bad gas passed' (no pun intended), the gas from the tank was probably fine.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I am not selling it & also don't know if it works but try some Stabyl (spelling?) in the tank. It is supposed to stop that problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I ride nearly every day. I always warm my bike up before starting off. I do not ride off until my bike will idle without the choke. The first five miles or so the bike feels sluggish as well. It has been this way since new. I just take it nice and easy for the first few miles. If you are not going to ride for several months, top off your gas tank and add the gas stabilizer as mentioned. This should stop any condensation from forming in your gas tank. Another thing I like to do is put the bike in gear, pull in the clutch, and back it out the driveway before dropping it into neutral when starting. This helps to break the clutch plates loose, and will make first gear a lot happier in the long run. Vegas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.