Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about a T Bird/TBS/Legend lately. NOt knowing much about them what do they share? What is the differances? HOw interchangeable are parts? I like the cafe style, (I own a Thruxton, but I think the wife seems to be in love with it as well) Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Biff

Off Topic... still have a great 2000 Sporty for Christmas :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
That about covers it, my friend!

The beauty of the early T3 series is that they are modular.

Everything doesn't quite fit everything else.....but it is pretty close to it. I have bits from a series 1 Tiger,a tBS a Thunderbird and a bit of Meriden Triumph thrown in for good measure.

If you like a low seat height & a black engine start with a Legend.

Otherwise the best shot is starting with a TBS.

Nige. :cool:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I knew less than you when I got my TBS about 6-7 months ago. The more I learn- the better I feel about my decision...(decision!! heck I sorta fell into it!) The guys here were a BIG help.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, this is a really great forum, I've been reading the past threads for several nights now, lots of great info, and I love the pictures of bikes. Is the lower seat height of the legend from the seat, suspension, or wheel's/tires?

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you plan to do a lot of highway riding, you'll hate that there is no 6th gear. I am love the bike though. I got into em not knowing much, I picked it pretty much on looks and price. Got mine used and it was the only one i really liked in my price range. That aside, knowing what i know now, I'd buy it again, I'd just look for tbs with the 6th gear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As I've got a standard (but with lot's of chrome) T'bird, AND a T'bird sport, and my son has a Legend, I thought I'd offer some thoughts.
Legend. low seat, nice black engine, highest bars of the three (at least on my lad's),5 gears. Sort of cruiser style
T'bird. Nice shiny bits, slightly lower bars, 6 gears. Standard (traditional British) type bike.
Sport, Flatter bars, black engine,6 gears, bit more power, better brakes, better suspension. A well set up Sport can really mix it with the sport bikes, especially on the twisties. Well, if you're a better rider than me it can.
As an older rider I generally prefer my standard T'bird's comfortable riding position, especially on longer rides, and I even enjoy polishing the chrome! Gives me something to do on the long (UK) winter nights.
Remember however, any of these bikes is really great, and most of the differences between models are not too great. Buy which ever you fancy, you'll love it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Main prob with TB and Legend is the difficulty in getting decent tyres-the TBS has 17" wheels so it has better tyre choices. However, Avons ain't bad... And I prefer my TB. Not many probs with any of them, and loads of swaps between, what are essentially the same, models.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do not find the 5 speed transmission a problem for touring on my 95 Thunderbird. What I did was replace the stock 17 tooth sprocket with an 18. Gives a bit taller gearing (dropping RPMs by about 300), and still has a low enough 1st gear for standing starts. No change to chain length is required.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
On 2006-12-08 16:34, Tumbleweed wrote:
Correct. And...um...the TBS's more power issue has been debated and found to be a misprint of some sort.

Creative Marketing?

Actually I think it is mostly because Triumph never updated the TBird Specs after the TBS was released.

Consider the restricted carb rubbers on the Mikuni equipped TBird. Removing those plus the balanced exhausts of the TBS could easily account for the advertised HP difference. When the TBird got the Kehin's the Advertised HP was not changed, probably because of marketing. The difference of the unbalanced exhaust certainly makes some difference, but most likely not as much as they advertised.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts