Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have started looking for a 2nd bike and narrowed it down to between T/Bird and Legend. Currently in the process of viewing any nearby models that appear up for sale at the moment.

Have trolled through all the previous questions on differences between the two and which as been very informative. I have taken in all their technical variations mentioned e.g. brakes, wheel dimensions plus austhetics etc.

From these and from the bikes I have viewed I am favouring the Legend because of the Black engine at the moment, as I have enough bling on my Harley. This may however change if any come along in the right condition.

My question is on exhaust selection:

Although I appreciate the engines are totally different to the early Coventry triples:

Is there an exhaust available likely to get anywhere close the the original Triumph and BSA works 3's of which the Rob North Replica duplicates?

Having watched these tripples compete many times along side each other many years ago, (even the MV's couldn't match their note) they IMHO must be one of the best sounding bikes of all time.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UHh6I5C5WAM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cool Vid and cool bike :cool:

I have only had me Legend for a couple of months.........but I am sure that a 900cc Triple must have a cracking sound simply begging to get out.

According to the MCN Review "Wound open the Triumph Legend TT sounds like a squadron of Lancasters". Now, I don't know what Lancasters MCN have been listening to, but (on stock silencers)clearly not the same as I have!.....hence my plan is also to add some noise. But tasteful noise :D

My understanding is that Triumph made 3 exhausts for the Legend /TBird - stock, "Race" and "something in between" (I am not so good on the technical stuff :p).

I was thinking of going for the "something in between" exhaust on the grounds that even if not road legal, probably not get tugged by Plod.......but I am reliably informed that the "Race" version does sound gorgeous - just not day to day freindly......

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bought my Legend knew in November of '98. Test drove a Tbird and the Legend and chose the Legend in spite of a sale on the Tbird which made it cheaper. Aftermarket exhaust was a must-do and I installed D&D slip-ons. Your Harley will be jealous.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
This is my Legend (somewhat modded) with a Thunderbike 3-1 (small, well, minimal, baffle fitted, but auto mic level makes it sound quieter than it really is)

The original Tridents had 180 cranks didn't they ? The Hinckleys are 120 so a T3 is maybe never quite going to sound like a Meriden triple. There seems to me two distinct sounds off the T3 classic triples. Keep the original headers (with no cross pipe) add fruity silencers & you get a slightly offbeat sound as you've 2 cylinders going right & 1 left. It's a real nice sound.
The other is what you hear above, an even 3 into 1 sound. I liked the aesthetics of the Thunderbike &, in theory, there's a little more power to be had with a 3-1 or (TB sport like) cross-piped system.

Whatever floats your particular boat I suppose but definately worth getting more sound than stock :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'll also vote for the Thunderbike 3 into 1. Have had one on my Legend for several years and love the look and the sound.

IrlMike, Do you have a pic of the 'slightly modded' Legend. From looking at the gauges that would be interesting to see what you have done.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes those crank angles and the stroke lengths are those engine characteristics that will always heavily contribute to leaving them sounding different.

The Thunderbike 3 into one sounds really good as well and I certainly wouldn't be dissapointed with that setup.

A lot of light at the end of the tunnel there and thanks for posting the vid.

Its really a good example and with good roads for an added bonus.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
TexasTri

The clocks are off a T3 Hinckley Trophy, pretty much plug in & a minimal bit of bracket fabrication (drilled 2 holes in bits i had :D). They have a handy water temp gauge & fit behind the screen ok, tho' don't look so good as the original clocks from the front with screen removed. Had a problem with the original tacho & got these off ebay for ~ $35.

My post here has a couple of pics:

http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/56428-photos-of-your-heavily-modded-classics-2.html#post1098565

And this one explains where 98 Tbird parts came from:

http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/25318-photos-of-your-triple-classics-7.html#post1095160

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
This is my Legend (somewhat modded) with a Thunderbike 3-1 (small, well, minimal, baffle fitted, but auto mic level makes it sound quieter than it really is)

The original Tridents had 180 cranks didn't they ? The Hinckleys are 120 so a T3 is maybe never quite going to sound like a Meriden triple. There seems to me two distinct sounds off the T3 classic triples. Keep the original headers (with no cross pipe) add fruity silencers & you get a slightly offbeat sound as you've 2 cylinders going right & 1 left. It's a real nice sound.
The other is what you hear above, an even 3 into 1 sound. I liked the aesthetics of the Thunderbike &, in theory, there's a little more power to be had with a 3-1 or (TB sport like) cross-piped system.

Whatever floats your particular boat I suppose but definately worth getting more sound than stock :)
The T150/160 motors all had 120 deg. between crank pins (3 x 120= 360 deg). That's why they were so smooth and could rev to very high limits without shaking themselves to pieces. Unlike the twins which had their crank pins at 180 deg.
Many years ago I fitted a 3 into 1 onto a 69 BSA Rocket 3 made from copper pipe. It roared!! The Thunderbike system now on the Adventurer sounds much the same.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
The T150/160 motors all had 120 deg. between crank pins (3 x 120= 360 deg). That's why they were so smooth and could rev to very high limits without shaking themselves to pieces. Unlike the twins which had their crank pins at 180 deg.
Many years ago I fitted a 3 into 1 onto a 69 BSA Rocket 3 made from copper pipe. It roared!! The Thunderbike system now on the Adventurer sounds much the same.
I stand corrected ! :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 3 into one should give a bit more midrange power as well.:YellowEvil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts