Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just been trying to bring my 96 T bird out of a 18 month stay in the shed ! The post on the starter moter was pretty rusty and the bike didnt want to turn over . Replaced /refurbished the starter motor but now it spins at a zillion miles an hour but doesnt seem to engage with the starter cog (I think there is an idler wheel which seems to spin anti clockwise (looking from the starter orifice) but not clockwise.
I cant believe the sprag has gone whooops while its been sitting doing nothing .
Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
411 Posts
The whirling of the starter motor and no previous noises may mean it is the starter not engaging, which is not such a disaster. Fully charge the battery, clean up the battery posts and check the wiring right to the starter inc solenoid. Rock the bike in gear and after try the starter while holding the clutch in. If there is no horrible crunch only the starter whirling , its out with the spanner to get the starter motor off. l might be wrong but once the sprags kaput, you cannot make the situation worse. Mine went in Germany but l had warnings before and l had a bad battery on that trip but hoped it would last, it didn't. Bloody expensive to fix, £700 in 2001. Fingers crossed!!.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I had the same issue last year on my 2000 TBS when the battery was on its way out. I am told that when the sprag goes it sounds like some one beating your oil pan with a ball peen hammer.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I had the same issue last year on my 2000 TBS when the battery was on its way out. I am told that when the sprag goes it sounds like some one beating your oil pan with a ball peen hammer.
yes a clacking like you have a big wrench in the transmission hitting the case. I wouldnt totally rule out a silent sprag failure, but it is much more likely to just be a weak battery. Even if it starts working ok of its own accord, change that battery as a weak battery can help take out a sprag clutch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys .
Not for the first time here I have to admit to being an idiot (tw*t in the UK). It is important which way you put on the starter motor housing . The Triumph lable must be on the engine side of the starter motor - even though the pinion end cap has a nib and lock - it doesnt !! Get this wrong and you spin the starter the wrong way! It makes a great noise spinning the starter but nothing else .
After 18 months all it needed was a change of petrol and decent battery and it started second kick ! Now got to figure out why oil is pouring out of the crankcase breather :-(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts