Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering giving up my TBS for a Rocket Roadster. This is mostly due to my wife not being comfortable on the bird.I was looking thru the post for any info/ complaints about the roadster and didn't find any thing major. My concern is I'm afraid I'll miss the twistys to much . Any input would be helpful. I hate to leave the wife at home but her complaints are no fun either.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
R3 v TBS

It will sure do the twistys, just not in the same nimble fashion as the TBS. And, if you do them for a considerable distance on an R3, your arms, shoulders and thighs will tell the tale!
Gr8t for long distance cruising and playing the long sweepers, but in tight Country, too much effort is expended and at the end of the day you will be into bed early!.

·
Registered
694 Posts
TBS vs R3

If you keep the TBS, you'll have the best of both!! Be sure and replace the rear shocks on the R3, the stockers suck, especially two up. I've toyed with getting an R3 Roadster too, but my other Triumph (ST Turbo) is already launch ready, so I haven't taken the plunge. Cheers, tommyturbo2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I am soon taking delivery of backrest for the T bird which may help. I would like to keep the T Bird and just add the roadster to the stable but am sure the wife would come unglued. I think a roadster test drive is in my future. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I think you'll struggle to find anything somewhat classic/naked style that has both the agility of the TBS & the (likely) pillion room & comfort of the RIII.

1st suggestion is keep the TBS & get a Rocket or something else for the pillion rides. The TBS is now an appreciating asset & already a modern classic. (ie explain to the wife the TBS is an investment ;) )

You don't say what's really essential for you in the Rocket. I guess a Sprint GT would be closest to providing pillion comfort with the sport performance of the TBS. But if a more classic look is wanted, I've test ridden the new Thunderbird 1600 twin. It handles & brakes pretty well for what it is. Only limitation is silencer ground clearance but you could probably improve that with aftermarket pipes. Not as nimble as a TBS or Sprint GT, but not bad at all & a lot less weight than a Rocket.

I don't weigh much tho' & the Rocket would be too much of a handful for me, esp at low speeds, parking up & such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I should point out to my wife the fact that this is one of the differences between the TBS and her. It appreciates!
I've tried the seating postion on the new t-bird and don't enjoy the forward controls.I do like the looks and leave it to triumph to outdo Harley at their own game.
Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My two cents....

I have a 2005 R3 Standard and a 1999 TBS. My first word of advice, do not get rid of your TBS, you will regret it. The TBS and R3 share are similiar in some ways, both are fast, have tons of torque, and you don't see them on the road everyday. I think they are the best two bikes I have ever owned in my 63 years and plan on keeping them both until they put me in the home. I have never ridden the Roadster, but that is a great looking machine with good reviews from the owners. If there is anyway possible, try to keep both in your garage. If the TBS must go, you would probably do better with an outright sale rather than a trade. They are rare and are bringing pretty good prices currently. Good luck on your decision.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. The TBS is to much fun and I'd know I'd miss it.I didn't consider trading I thought I would sell it outright, but after this discussion I think I'll try to keep it.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
You'll never find another TBS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts