Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there ,recently purchased a t/bird sport and love it. unfortunatley about a week ago, a delivery man happened to try to move my bike,and dropped it in the gargage! i straightened a few things out, then went for a ride,after returning,i noticed an amount of milky white fluid under the breather pipe,and are a little concerned,have not noticed this before,any thing to be worried about? any help would be helpful. cheers hendo

·
Registered
721 Posts
Don't be unduly concerned.

It is just emulsified oil dislodged.

Usually brought about by a lot of short runs.
Moisture builds up if the engine doesn't get hot enough, long enough to evaporate it.

I would suggest doing an oil & filter change, & try and use it on longer runs.

Nige. :cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
i don't mean to be an alarmist, how long have you been riding the bike? Because while i have seen noone talking about headgaskets, i do wonder where else might milky fluid comes from. I know if you have done an oil change and you get water to come out first or any substantial mositure...you might have an issue. Though as they guy says above it might just be built up moisture from temp changes...etc. There are no dipsticks to see any milky fluid on the dipstick so draining would be the only indicator. I'm sure i'll get plently of flak for suggesting such a blasphemous idea...but plan for worse, smile when its not.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Worst case, yes, it might be gasket leakage.
The impression I got was that was a relatively small amount of emulsified fluid.

If a ruptured gasket were the case there would probably be white sludge evidence in the sight glass too.

Either way you would know when you changed the oil & filter.

Nige. :cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi there,thanks for your replys,bike supposedly had oil change prior to purchase about 1000km ago,can't see any white fluid around view port for oil level,as this started after bike was dropped (by a clown!)i'm hoping that it was due to being on its side,i think i will do a oil and filter change anyway,and maybe check the air filter,i hear these are awkward,to change?.cheers,hendo p.s, never let anyone touch your bike other than yourself!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts