Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got mine from Great Bay for my '99 Legend. I think they look a lot sharper than the chrome stock covers. Real easy install. 2 screws off...2 screws on each side. I think that I have pictures posted on the original members album under Legend.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I like the look better myself. I've read on this forum what a drag it is to pull the airbox off, so I was relieved to hear that the kit simply covers the existing airbox.
Thanks, guys. I should have those covers and the Eurogaiters I ordered by next weekend.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw a T-Bird seat on ebay, but it had the latching mechanism, rather than the screws. How big a deal is that to modify?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I saw a T-Bird seat on ebay, but it had the latching mechanism, rather than the screws. How big a deal is that to modify?
Not a really big deal, actually. The latch mech is a pretty standard part, and I think your frame already comes with holes to mount it in. You may have to tap them to mount it, and the you can just set it up where you can pull on the lug at the end of the cable to release....

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That airbox cover? Oh great just one more thing I gotta have!!
When will it end?!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes it is a standard black leather Corbin gunfighter. Very comfortable. Also it really holds you in place when you accelerate hard. The latch mechanism which can be ordered through any Triumph dealer is not just a bolt on. The pin on the Corbin seat does not line up with the pre-drilled holes in the back of the subframe. You have to drill 2 holes through the rear subframe and rear fender to mount the latch. Hardest thing is to figure exactly where to drill the holes. You only get one chance. I would have liked to have had the seat 2-3mm closer to the tank, but who would notice except for me. You also have to get a bunch of washers and experiment with them to get the latch exactly the right height. I thought the price of the seat was pretty reasonable...$329. A lot cheaper than a HD or Buell Corbin.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my T-Bird Sport airbox covers today; took all of about 6 minutes to install - just two screws per side, like you said, legend.
Looks great! Now, if it was just a bit warmer here in NYC for Thanksgiving...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are the screws on the original airbox cover the same ones needed for the TBS cover? Just wondering if I need to buy different hardware.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I either used the original ones, or the mods came with new screws; iany event, I remember that I didn't have to get any additional hardware.
By the way, coincidently, I was just looking yesterday on the Great Bay site to see their other T3 accessories and I noticed that their web page for the T3s is GONE. So I wrote to them about it, and here's the response I got today:

Most of these accessories are no longer available and we have not had any in stock for a long time now. If you are looking for something in particular, the easiest is to call us at 603-964-4450

Cheers,
GBMC

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got this response from Great Bay regarding the TBS airbox covers:

The Thunderbird Sport airbox cover kit is still available. It is worth mentioning that that kit is a cosmetic change only. There is no performance gain, it only replaces the outer most covers of the airbox with the more traditional style "cheese" grator covers.

So, anyone interested in them can call Great Bay at the number in my previous post. When I bought the covers, they were around $100 US.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
It would be interesting to see what the variation of cost is between the "kit" and just buying the parts individually from your dealer...

Note that if you have a 97 or earlier bike, and the airbox has never been changed, you'll need an new airbox, plus the covers.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Are the screws on the original airbox cover the same ones needed for the TBS cover? Just wondering if I need to buy different hardware.
You'll need the screws for the chrome portion of the box (see Bike Bandit) but the ones for the black portion are the same.

I would expect these to be provided with the "kit"?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As I said, I remember that I didn't have to get any additional hardware after I got it - now that I think of it, I believe the covers came with the longer screws for the "cheese grater" chrome part.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ordering the parts from bike bandit, my local dealer, or the "kit" will all cost roughly $100. I found one of the chrome bits used on eBay and will probably get the rest from my dealer. The chrome parts are the most expensive part. Roughly $35 each.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Called Great Bay. They no longer stock the items in the kit, but they can order from triumph (takes about a week). Around $100 plus shipping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts