Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Thought you T-Bird owners would like this. 1950 model, owner just took it on a 450 mile trip to Austin from Waco. And of course the new model behind it.:cool: Triumph of Waco

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thats a bloody beaut mate, but what the heck is that ugly POS in the background. I reckon Triumph missed the mark with that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thats a bloody beaut mate, but what the heck is that ugly POS in the background. I reckon Triumph missed the mark with that.
I'm with you... I think I have officially turned in to a Hinckley Classic Triple snob. We went on a group ride today and one of the guys had a brand new TBird he picked up at the shop yesterday and I just can't get in to it. I tried to Oooh! and Ahhh! in all the right places just to be polite, but Nah. Then again, I'm not all that jazzed by the America or the Speedmaster either.
Maybe I'm just a bad person??

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It looks more like a Honda cruiser - all smooth and no personality. The way I see it, I must add - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and who am I do slag another man's dream.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
I haven't seen one yet but I like them, I'm not in the market for one, not my riding type of bike but I think Triumph hit the spot they aimed for with this new Thunderbird.

I'm not miffed over the name either, our heritage is the Trident.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I haven't seen one yet but I like them, I'm not in the market for one, not my riding type of bike but I think Triumph hit the spot they aimed for with this new Thunderbird.

I'm not miffed over the name either, our heritage is the Trident.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

Precisely! Not my choice but right on target.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
I'm with you... I think I have officially turned in to a Hinckley Classic Triple snob.
Maybe I'm just a bad person??
I sat on one at our dealership a few weeks ago. It is certainly much better looking in person than any of the pics I've seen. There were two Triumph Corporate employees there that day. They both were speculating about another Thunderbird Sport based on the new big twin. Probably just razzing me a bit since they both know my bike.
I told them It sounds like a nice idea but that missing cylinder is a deal killer for me. :p

Gimme a triple any day.

It's a marketing decision/conspiracy??

Triumph does not want to replace the Classic Triples because any time you see one on the road it reinforces the general reputation of reliability the Hinckley Triumphs enjoy.:confused:

·
Registered
351 Posts
New TBird

You don't know what you are missing until you take ride on this new TBird.... Before that first ride, I would not have guessed it could be as great a bike as it has turned out to be......

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
I rode one at the Triumph Demo truck during the Indy MotoGP.
I was able to ride it twice, total about 25 miles.

Torque is addictive, Brakes are Great, Handling is good, Sound is great with the short Triumph off road mufflers.

The riding position is not comfortable to me, but that's a very personal thing related to an old back injury. I did not like the vibration either.

Now that drive train with a Standard riding position, and the 360 degree firing order???? Maybe....

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
They still don't have the build quality right. I was looking at a brand new, 0 miles Thunderbird on the corporate Triumph stand at an event last weekend. It had rust on it already, from where they had punched on the frame number AFTER the frame was powdercoated.

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
That must of been an early mock up bike or something as that is not how the production bikes are, certainly not on mine.

I find it disheartening to see the myopic views espoused by many on this board. Unable to see beyond your own likes in a bike, you condemn a superlative bike simply because it isn't your taste. To you no cruiser would ever be 'right' or 'good'. I find that view a bit pathetic.

I would assume that many of us here are not motocross riders myself certainly included and yet if Triumph was to suddenly make one, one that was broadly accepted by the motocross press as the best bike of the year I would be quite happy to hear it and supportive of it, even if I didn't have any desire to actually own one. I don't care much for full on sport bikes but the Daytona continues to be a talking point for me in discussing the depth of Triumph's current line.

I am currently in search of a tbird sport as a compliment to my tbird 1600 as it is a brilliant bike with a great classic look. It will never manage to do what my 1600 can do, nor vice versa. Each bike has it's strength and each bike does it's job well. I think ragging on bikes that aren't your personal choice is missing the plot and is the same sort of attitude that the Harley crowd is so well known for. Not an attitude I care to parrot.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I find it disheartening to see the myopic views espoused by many on this board. Unable to see beyond your own likes in a bike, you condemn a superlative bike simply because it isn't your taste. To you no cruiser would ever be 'right' or 'good'
No truer words have ever been said

There isn't a single flaw on mine, even minute

Everyone who has seen mine is awe stuck

I've owned many bikes sine '69 and this is by far may fav

numerous magazines have reviewed it and every single one has raved about it

Almost every rider review has been positive, most extremely so

The Tbird forums here have already surpassed the R3 forum here in activity only about 60 days after the bike's release
Seriously, i have yet to see any new triumph model garner so much attention and so many immediate rave reviews. Personally at 56 i have never ridden anything so perfect as this bike. Yet like Thatch said in that quote, some people will trash a bike just because it's not thier taste and they hate seeing another bike get so much praise when they think thiers is better. Well, you know what....your classic triple IS better. TO YOU ! Thats why i never said my 1600 is better than yours. But you don't wanna know what i think. This puts me in mind of those reviews you see from time to time where a sportbike freak reviews a cruiser and calls it [email protected] using reasoning that basically is a blueprint for the differences between a cruiser and what he likes...sportbikes. W T F is that about? I hate sportbikes, and i wouldn't dream of reviewing one because of that. Thanks for those well put words thatch. I'm really tiring of the Tbird bashing here. I would say this place seems more like a harley forum except harley guys seem to have more respect for the Tbird 1600 than some here. What about some triumph brotherhood, eh?d?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I am currently in search of a tbird sport as a compliment to my tbird 1600 as it is a brilliant bike with a great classic look. It will never manage to do what my 1600 can do, nor vice versa. Each bike has it's strength and each bike does it's job well. I think ragging on bikes that aren't your personal choice is missing the plot and is the same sort of attitude that the Harley crowd is so well known for. Not an attitude I care to parrot

all trumpys rule :D thank god they build the new T bird from what i read they will sell heaps and that keeps the factory going
there are two things wrong with the new bird
1 i cant get one here till next march :(
2 i cant get one here till next march :(
cheers to all stick together there enough politicans ( here anyway )trying hard to ruin our lifestyle
buck

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am currently in search of a tbird sport as a compliment to my tbird 1600 as it is a brilliant bike with a great classic look. It will never manage to do what my 1600 can do, nor vice versa. Each bike has it's strength and each bike does it's job well. I think ragging on bikes that aren't your personal choice is missing the plot and is the same sort of attitude that the Harley crowd is so well known for. Not an attitude I care to parrot

all trumpys rule :D thank god they build the new T bird from what i read they will sell heaps and that keeps the factory going
there are two things wrong with the new bird
1 i cant get one here till next march :(
2 i cant get one here till next march :(
cheers to all stick together there enough politicans ( here anyway )trying hard to ruin our lifestyle
buck
Got mine yesterday and I have two things to say to you"
(1) It is soooo worth the wait.
(2) It is soooo worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Probably a bit like swearing in church, but I have never understood this brand loyalty thing. In my opinion, it is just plain daft. If Honda makes a bike that suits you better than anything Triumph builds, buy the Honda. Or Harley. Or whatever.

What's important is how a bike function in relations to your needs, whatever they may be (looks, comfort, reliablity, cost etc.), while the badge is irrelevant.

Good to see owners so happy with their new 1600s and hopefully the happiness stems from how the bike actually works :thumbsup:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good to see owners so happy with their new 1600s and hopefully the happiness stems from how the bike actually works
I agree totally with all you wrote faffi, worth lifting the level of these debates.:rolleyes:
I am actively reading all the new T Bird owners posts to hopefully find out what it is about these big machines that ticks the boxes.
The first big parellel twin ever is an interesting concept and interested to see what comes next.
Must say the old T Bird looks like a bsa bantam beside the new one.

It does have the big cruiser HD look about it and I thought maybe they could have tried to incorporate more of the T Bird triple retro look in there.
Maybe in a year or three I might consider one.

Murray

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
I have never understood this brand loyalty thing
It's not really brand loyalty, at least to me, but brand appreciation. I was shopping for a performance cruiser when I came upon info on the new bird. I waited for it because of Triumphs current reputation. If it was a bad (or even mediocre) bike I wouldn't of bought it. It stands on it's own as a great bike, but, the other bikes in Triumph lineup add to the value of the bike simply by association. The idea of the company that makes the Daytona and Street Triple making a cruiser is a promising thing on it's own. Had they not delivered on that promise though, I would be riding something else.

Anywho, I didn't say all this to convert anyone. You all will like the bikes that deliver the ride you want, and you should. I'm just suggesting that there are really good bikes that deliver for other riders as well. Critique the bird on the merits of the bike not the merits of the entire segment.

One quick comment on the ever present 'looks like a Harley' comment. It most certainly has cruiser styling and since Harley has defined the modern cruiser segment there is some guilt by association of course. However, I've parked it in a crowd of Harley's on a number of occasions and it is definitely a case of 'one of these things is not like the others'. On a casual glance it shows itself to be quite unlike the rest. I actually found this a bit surprising.

-------------------------------

So, then what's the best year of Tbird sport to be looking for? The bird needs a sporty stablemate.

Thanks for the civil discourse.

·
Registered
351 Posts
New TBird 1600...

All I can say is that if you have any inclination to learn more about how the new TBird really is built, rides, performs, etc.... Go out and look at one in person and ride one if you can get the opportunity... I hesitated after my first look at one at the dealer in Indy, went back to look at a black one at another dealer and after riding around the block was instantly sold!! The more I push this new Bird the more it delivers ...every time I get on it. I have had bikes of various styles and types since 1974... starting out on a Kawasaki 400 S3. This is one of the best all around motorcycles I have ridden... of any style, type, displacement or brand...period. Everybody has their individual preferences and opinions on motorcycles. Thank goodness we have more than one model to choose so we can all find our preference... I can find nothing fundamentally wrong about this new Triumph... but that is just my opinion. :elated

1 - 20 of 21 Posts