Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, not meaning to cross post, but wanted to broaden the discussion in case anyone has answers. I posted on the Classics forum already. I'm looking at buying some 2002 T-Bird carbs (Keihins from a 885cc T3 engine) to use on my 97 885cc Trident (currently with Mikunis, but the last Tridents had Keihins). Are they the same carbs? Are the slide holes different sizes (I have no idea if the cams were different) in the two carbs. I'm expecting I will have to rejet as a minimum cause my bike has pod filters and aftermarket exhaust. Anyone got the details on the Keihins for the 02 T-Bird as compared to the 98 Tridents?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Have a look at the online parts fiche at Bike Bandit; that will at least tell you if the part numbers are the same. Jets & cams are definitely different between the 2 bikes. No idea on the slide holes, sorry.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kit. Both are 36mm cv type carbs, but the number on Bike Bandit is one digit difference between the two. Could be different Jets, or different slide holes in the carb, or something else, but different part numbers. I posted on the classics site and received a response that the classics slide had a 3mm hole, whereas the trident, speed triple etc. had a 2.5 mm hole. Jet size is not relevant, as I have aftermarket mufflers and the airbox removed, so jet size will change from stock no matter what. Was just fishing for info in case anyone knew for certain, as I don't want to buy the carbs if they can't readily (with reasonable adaptations) be used for my bike. Anyone got a good tech source at Triumph????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts