Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modified the standard Thunderbird exhaust headers to make them into a 3 into 1, that is, joining up the left hand pipe to the middle pipe? It looks as though is should be possibly a cheap way of making a 3 into 1 out of the existing pipes.
cheers
Ken

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Ken, you can check out my thread that is a little but further down. Short answer is there is no easy way. You will need a different set of headers from an old speed triple or tiger and a welder.

There is nothing that bolts right up.

-Max

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Ken, you can check out my thread that is a little but further down. Short answer is there is no easy way. You will need a different set of headers from an old speed triple or tiger and a welder.

There is nothing that bolts right up.

-Max
You acually don't need a welder, I dimpled my T509 header (as some others have done before) where it hits the oil sump. Apperently small dimples has no effect on power accoring to some tests I've read.

Also, I remember seeing posts about welding the single header to the other two of the stock headers, can't find it though...

·
Registered
184 Posts
You acually don't need a welder, I dimpled my T509 header (as some others have done before) where it hits the oil sump. Apperently small dimples has no effect on power accoring to some tests I've read.

Also, I remember seeing posts about welding the single header to the other two of the stock headers, can't find it though...

You will need the welder to add the 1 inch spacer to the top of the header where it mounts to the motor. If you dont add that its gotta be one hell of a dimple.

I would love to see pictures of your set up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bolted up the exhaust today :) I managed to make a larger dimple below the oil sump (also grinded some of the hex screw away) and sealed junctions with silicone. Sound clips tomorrow if there are no leaks :)
View attachment 716018
View attachment 716017
Here is my post from 2-3 months ago. I had found a few other people doing the same thing with pics on this forum so I gave it a shot. More elegant to weld it of course, but I don't have the knowledge or equipment. Maybe one day I will learn too, opens up a lot of ways to modify a bike. Bike runs great as is, Dyno pull in a month or so :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, thanks for your comments. I had just wondered about the feasibility of simply cutting and welding the left hand header to the middle header. It looks simple, but like everything, may not actually be so.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for your comments. I had just wondered about the feasibility of simply cutting and welding the left hand header to the middle header. It looks simple, but like everything, may not actually be so.
According to posts on this forum it has been done, but I never found any pics of it when I wanted to get a 3-1 exhaust...

·
Registered
347 Posts
look around for a motad 3 into 1 header , thats what fitted to my CRK 900 build that started life as a 96 sprint. the motad pipe is bolt on but finding one is difficult. I got a new old stock in germany and at the time i found a couple more new and a few eBay used headers, I couldn't find a good one of the headers on the bike but here they are after coming back from getting ceramic jet hot in and out. ( they are stainless as the come)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts