Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to extend the front forks of my '97 T-bird about 3 inches and put some taller and wider (not apehanger) buckhorns on it . I find no tubes nor extenders for this bike . Also , are there throttle and speedo cables available for this ? When I was a kid they were "chopping" eveything from H-1 Kawasakis to BSAs but , there is no one around now who can or will tell me what might fit this bike for a simple extension .

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't know about extending the forks sorry, but the earlier Adventurer had "Western" bars ( part no. T2043468) which I think are the same as "Buckhorns". Triumph, and many other retailers, still sell them. The standard speedo cable will fit (all the Hinckley Classic Triples share the same cable IIRC), but probably needs re-routing.
Obviously the front brake cable would need to be altered though.
Hope some of that is useful.

By the way the Adventurer has a more raked out front end, but the forks are the same as yours, just a different angle from the frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T-bird fork extensions

Thank you , for that info . I will check out the adventurer handlebars . Elsewhere on this forum someone had mentioned that one of the Yamaha V cruisers used 43mm forks . I may pursue that possibility . They have both extended forks and extenders for this model .

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Having a set of stainless steel extenders made up by a local machinist doesn't have to cost all that much. It's a poor way of extending forks, though, because the joints will always have some flex in them. Unless you weld the joints. That won't leave it pretty, but you can use lamp holders that covers them up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
t-bird fork extensions

That is a good suggestion , faffi . But , sadly our society (here , nowdays) is so litigation driven everyone (at least) that I have spoken to won't touch something like this for fear of liability . I will do an e-search to see what I can come up with as a last resort . Thanks , guys please keep those comments coming maybe someone has seen a product that will work . The site Geoffe linked me to show the tubes on (I believe) a '98 Trophy to be slightly longer (650 vs 630) . I don't know why they should not fit my 97 T-bird being 43mm and given the "modular" construction of the Hinckley bikes of that era unless that was a model year change but , again that is a guesse .

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The Tiger front end must be significantly longer than the others, what with it's greater travel and increased ground clearance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
T-bird fork extensions

Good point , Faffi . I did a quick check on the afore mentioned link and found no '97 specs but , '98 Tiger specs of 732 (vs 630 for the same year t-bird) . If 97 Tiger and T-bird are of comparable difference this may be the trick . Does anyone know if 97 and 98 model parts are interchangeable ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts