Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Caféracer and bike builder from Sweden.

My first thread in this forum :)

I'm totaly new on Brittish bikes, but iv'e been driving and building Yamaha Café racers for quite some time now.

Some questions about the T-Bird:

- I'm thinking of changing the original forksprings to much harder ones, preferably adjustable forks but I think that's to pricy?
Which springs do U recommend?

- Moore open air filters, is KN the way to go?

- I first leaned at clip-ons but thus having this on 2 of my bikes already can U recommend another one for a more agressive driving style?

Thank's in advance! :cool:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi!
<snip>
- I first leaned at clip-ons but thus having this on 2 of my bikes already can U recommend another one for a more agressive driving style?
7/8"'s Pro-taper (or other manufacturer's) dirtbike bars give a more aggressive posture than stock. Or flat bars, for that matter, but that might be too much (or at least, it would be for me).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect!

I'll give it a look :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
- Moore open air filters, is KN the way to go?
The K&N replacement filter is nice (and washable) but you won't see any performance gains.

If you're referring to the K&N pod-style filters, I use them (and like them) but others have had trouble... at a minimum, you're going to have to mess with your jetting if you pull the airbox off. Check the 'proven set-ups' sticky, there's tons of info on there about what people have tried, and what does or doesn't work.

Any 7/8" handlebars will fit - for a while I had a pair of generic EMGO bars that were called 'superbike bars' in the US - they were much lower and dropped a bit at the ends. If you swap bars you'll need new bar-ends, as the triumph ones screw in. You'll also either need to drill holes in the bars for the switchgear mounting tab, or grind off the tabs (and possible use tape or something to keep the switchgear from rotating on the bar).

HTH.

~crosstie

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect!

I use KN-pod filters on my latest build, a Yamaha 1100 Caféracer with a lot of pars enharited from the YZF-R1 model. This is the first mod i did on that enginge, but now its been much much moore :)

However..

I read some in the proven set-up yesterday and found the info very useful to say the least.

The set-up today is all stock but the pipes so the bike runs a bit lean and to hot (blue pipes).

What i found on my run yesterday was that the brakes was far weaker than I first expected (very inspired driving). I'm used to double disc brakes and double 4 piston calipers.

Anyone that has a tip for inproving the stopping power, new calipers etc?

Cheers!

·
Registered
181 Posts
<snip>

What i found on my run yesterday was that the brakes was far weaker than I first expected (very inspired driving). I'm used to double disc brakes and double 4 piston calipers.

Anyone that has a tip for inproving the stopping power, new calipers etc?

Cheers!
ZRX1100 & 1200 forks fit the fork clamps fine; it moves you to a cast wheel, dual disks, dual-4-pots on each.

The rear from the same bike also fits, with some spacers; the rear brake from the zrx1100, however, won't have a place to mount. You'll need the brake, hanger & torsion bar from a Sprint, IIRC.

(I have these mods; braking is now wonderful, and as an aside, acceleration's improved as well; I assume due to a) larger rear wheel diameter & b) lower wheel weight. Wish I could be sure that the brakes on the rear came from a Sprint... I'm sure someone else will chime in?)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I was told the Trophy was the brake donor :confused: Anyway, I sidestepped the issue by fitting Daytona wheel and a brake disc that fits that wheel while retaining the OD of the TB disc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK

Did a similar mod on my latest project when I fitted a R1 front end on a 1100 Dragstar.

There is not a simplified way to just put 1- 4 piston caliper on the stock fork (adapter..)?

·
Registered
181 Posts
99% sure someone would've already done it, and posted on these forums...

I'm pretty sure you could also take the forks & wheel from a TBS and swap, along with the master brake cyl... That'd at least get you to a dual-disk setup. Probably more expensive than the ZRX swap, though.

(Although: you can probably find a decent condition TBS for ~ 3500-4000 USD$, and part out the rest & make a tidy profit... I'd want some bits =) )

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank's!

I did some mesauring last evning and found that the R1 calipers is to long between the bolt holes. Fact is that i bought my T-Bird for 2000 USD (04) :D, so perhaps I can sell it and buy a TBS instead :rolleyes:

Buy me some time and money!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts