Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this on a Bonneville?
http://www.t-bags.com/Detail.aspx?ID=86&selectedcat=9
I like the idea that it retains its shape when empty and is flexible too.

I've read about the First Gear Silverstone Tail Bag and the Cortech Sport tail bag but this one from T-BAGS has caught my fancy. I'm particularly interested to know if it attaches without compromising any of the paint.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I looked at those in person, but thought they were more suited for a sport bike.
I ended up buying the Eclipse Rumble-pak tail bag & just recently, the matching magnetic tank bag. The Rumble pak has an excellent internal bungee attach set up that anchors it like glue to the seat via the grab rail, without touching paint.
They are really well made (USA), expand 2X, have reflective strips & hold their shapes just fine when empty. Very practical, too.
The look & size perfectly compliments the Bonnie. I get positive comments all the time on them.
Definitely worth a close look....

·
Read Only
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Markhp, thanks for your reply. I'll check out the Rumble Pack. I'd not heard of ECLIPSE Products so that's new to me. The fact that you didn't think the TNT - TANK N TAIL BAG suited to the Bonneville helps me a lot. I have the TNT - SUPER-T on my Kawasaki cruiser and it's an excellent bag but that's a different story.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I hate magnetic tank bags....... They do nothing but scratch. For my Sprint I used the Motech system that uses a tank ring and keeps the bags off the paint. Unfortunatley that is an impossible system for the Bonnie..... Good ole' saddlebags for the Bonnie I guess.

·
Read Only
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Calliway: Agreed -- for the same reason, I would not use the TNT - TANK N TAIL BAG or anything else on the tank either. My brother insists it's okay but I think it's a disaster waiting to happen. I'm still not convinced of the solution. The Triumph single seat and rack would do the job but it's quite expensive. I might pick up a Renntek rack on my next rip to the UK. And yes saddlebags would be nice too but again not cheap!

Is the Triumph single seat any higher than stock? I'm sure the answer must be on this forum. If it is, then it's a non starter irrespective of the cost.

·
Registered
325 Posts
FWIW, Eclipse pioneered tank bags in USA back in the 70's. Always made a very high quality product. These days there are an almost infinite number of soft luggage makers...

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Calliway:

Is the Triumph single seat any higher than stock? I'm sure the answer must be on this forum. If it is, then it's a non starter irrespective of the cost.
No, its not higher than stock but I will say it is 100% more comfortable than stock and the contemporary seat. I have the solo and the contemp but way prefer the solo seat. I was thinking of mounting a Mototech Daypack 2 on on the rack with a mototech ring. I have another plan for the back as well but because it is so easy to change you could have a myriad of attachments behind the seat itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the Triumph tank bag on my Thruxton. I leave it on all the time. For touring I add the RKA tail pack. It really works well, attaches easily, and holds its shape.

·
Read Only
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tying on a Tail Bag

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Is the grab rail is a worthy addition to avoid scratching paint or generally dinging up the bike when strapping on a tail bag? How do you find it works out over the long term attaching your favorite tail bags -- do you use a grab rails? I think grab rails look neat too.

Calliway: Thanks for the Triumph single height information. I saw one at my local dealer yesterday and thought it was fine although given a choice, prefer the look of the stock seat. Definitely an option though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts