Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done in long distance yet on the T-120? Just curious how it is for long rides, 3-4 trips, camping etc.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Only done 150 miles in one go far, just pottering around on country lanes and a few A road.

Done no motorways or long distance yet, seat was OK just starting to get bum ache.

Seat cushioning seems a bit thin, but need more miles on the clock to how it breaks in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did a couple 250 mile days back to back around the Olympic Peninsula. Coming from a 02 Sprint 955i the T120 was a delight. Half the time I had a passenger and also ended up doing ~12 miles of dirt and gravel roads. These things are pretty comfy on long trips, though you will still want to get off and stretch every hour or so. As soon as I got back from that trip I ordered a Marlin Dart windscreen which works wonderfully, getting the wind off your chest can drastically increase the bikes comfort level on long rides.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did a couple 250 mile days back to back around the Olympic Peninsula. Coming from a 02 Sprint 955i the T120 was a delight. Half the time I had a passenger and also ended up doing ~12 miles of dirt and gravel roads. These things are pretty comfy on long trips, though you will still want to get off and stretch every hour or so. As soon as I got back from that trip I ordered a Marlin Dart windscreen which works wonderfully, getting the wind off your chest can drastically increase the bikes comfort level on long rides.

Hey Bobskr, did the Marlin push the air up to face level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Bobskr, did the Marlin push the air up to face level?

Hi Lioneagleman,

It seemed to, after installing the screen I took her out on the boring highway for about an hour, testing at speeds of 60-80mph felt fairly easy while before anything past 60 felt like I was hanging on a bit. The screen certainly got the air off my chest and seemed to be pretty clean air at the helmet level. I did still notice a bit on my shoulders ( I'm 5'10 and average build) but it was far less tiring than before, I feel several hours of highway driving would be fine now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have done a couple of 400km days on my T120.

After the first one I found my shoulders very sore as the wind hitting my chest at 120kph + was causing strain on my arms and chest.

I put a Dart Marlin screen on and repeated the ride with much less strain and more enjoyment. Airflow is still full on my helmet but reduced on my chest.

The seat is fine as you can move around easily to reduce any hot-spots. Cruising is relaxed, comfortable and vibration free. Anything over 130kph is tiring to maintain for long stretches (as it is on any naked bike).

I have a 1200 GS for long trips and touring but find the T120 fine for weekend jaunts and it would certainly cope with longer with the right baggage set up.
[/IMG][/IMG]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks Bobskr and Paul for the info, I would like more protection but that Marlin looks the to be the best looker and effective! And we all know it's about the looks!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Dart Marlin Screen

Thanks for that, I've had two Dart screens, one on my Moto Guzzi and one on the T100 that I just traded in on a red and silver T120. Excellent quality, and I appreciated the reference to the Marlin screen as I did not know they made those.
Agreed about the "look" which has to suit the bike.
Ordered mine after reading your comments.
I've got 500 KM on mine, including a 300K ride on rough twisty back roads here on Vancouver Island: Victoria - Duncan - Lake Cowichan - Port Renfrew - Sooke and home.
I am totally pleased with the bike, they have filled in all my wish lists and then some. Love the heated grips controller plus the multi use screen. It actually has shocks right out of the box, and torques... many many torques.
Much better looking as well.
Heading out on a 1000 K ride on Route 20 through to Idaho and back tomorrow. Wish I had the screen now, but don't really care as this bike is just the greatest time machine ever made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts