Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '09 T-100 and would like to find out if anyone makes a magnetic drain plug for it. If you can help me out I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Mr. Pete--->
aging hippie

·
Registered
363 Posts
HI mrpete64
and welcome , yes they do make them, got mine on EBAY here in UK, don't know your location
so should not be difficult to track down

MIKE

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There's another option if you can get a hold of some old computer hard drives. I've canibalized the neodynium magnets (don't know if that's spelled correctly) and slapped one on the outside of the oil filter. Or you can buy some on the net. Been doing this for 5 years now. You just have to remember to put the magnet on the new filter when you do an oil change.

Shorty

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi,
I cannot tell you the part number anymore but I picked up a magnetic plug at Advanced Auto Parts. I simply took my original plug in and matched threads to the new one. I think the cost was less than $3.00 if I remember correctly.

Two oil changes and 6000 miles later I am picking up a very very tiny amount of steel shavings.... perhaps from the gears. Of course a person could have pounds of aluminum floating in their oil that would never stick to the magnet. Mostly I did it as a means of monitoring what came off of the gears. So far so good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Magnets

There's another option if you can get a hold of some old computer hard drives. I've canibalized the neodynium magnets (don't know if that's spelled correctly) and slapped one on the outside of the oil filter. Or you can buy some on the net. Been doing this for 5 years now. You just have to remember to put the magnet on the new filter when you do an oil change.

Shorty
Hi Shorty that sounds like a plan to me, i just so happen to have a pair of those laying around that i stripped out of a hard drive. May i just ask where you place yours ie: down side's or on the bottom of said filter cartridge and do you use both magnets or just the one ?
Steve.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Scramble...I placed mine on the back side of the filter. I really don't think it matters, but those magnets are a hell of a lot stronger than any oil pan plugs I've ever seen. One thing though, I've read somewhere that high temperatures on those type of magnets decreases the magnetic properties somewhat and I believe that temp was about 180 to 200 degrees F.
I just checked mine a few weeks ago and it's still stuck on the filter after riding many miles during the summer in the Texas heat.

Shorty

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yikes - there's metal in the mix?!?

How many miles should I have on before I start seeing metal in the oil?!? Is this a common thing with our motorbikes?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would think that since we have wet clutches the fuzz you are seeing on your magnet is from the clutch plates and not the gears pistons etc... no?

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
Metal bits

It doesn't matter where they're from, you just want to get them out of the oil circulation.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I use the magnet on the oil filter trick. Of course, you can't check if it's catching anything unless you tear the filter to bits when you change it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts